Suvendu govt ends religion-based schemes in Bengal, scraps state OBC list
NEW DELHI: The chief minister Suvendu Adhikari-led West Bengal cabinet Monday scrapped the assistance to the groups based on religious categorisation, effectively ending the religion-based schemes run during the Mamata Banerjee-led TMC government.
The BJP government has also done away with the exisiting state OBC list in accordance with the Calcutta high court judgement and would set up a panel to decide quota eligibility.
A few days ago, the Suvendu goverment reportedly withdrew petition filed by Mamata government against the high court stay on state OBC list roll out.
Last year on July 28, the CJI-led bench of the Supreme Court had vacated high court's stay on implementation of the new OBC list that had a total of 140 sub-groups under OBC-A and OBC-B categories, including 80 belonging to the Muslim community.
The Supreme Court had said that it was well settled that the Executive can notify such a list without passing legislation. The earlier list, which was struck down by the high court , had 113 OBC sub-groups with 77 from the Muslim community and 36 from others.
"The Bengal cabinet decided to discontinue government assistance to groups based on religious categorisation from June. The government also scrapped the existing state OBC list in accordance with the Calcutta High Court judgment and will set up a panel to decide quota eligibility," said minister Agnimitra Paul.
She said schemes being implemented under religious categorisation by the departments of Information and Cultural Affairs and the Minority Affairs and Madrasa Education would continue till the end of this month and would be stopped from June.
Addressing a press conference after the meeting at the state secretariat Nabanna, minister Agnimitra Paul said women, who applied for citizenship under the CAA and approached tribunals for inclusion in voter rolls in the wake of the SIR exercise, will also receive 'Annapurna' scheme benefits.
"The cabinet gave a nod to the 'Annapurna' scheme of Rs 3,000 monthly assistance to women from June 1. It also approved a proposal to allow free travel for women in government-run buses from next month," she said after the second meeting of the state council of ministers.
The BJP, during the recent assembly poll campaign, had pledged that its government would ensure free travel for women in state-run buses and offer a Rs 3,000 monthly scheme to them, as against the Rs 1,500 provided under the previous TMC government's "Lakhsmir Bhandar" scheme.
Paul, the women and child development minister, said the government also approved the constitution of the 7th state pay commission for its employees, and staffers in allied statutory civic bodies, education boards and those working in state-run education institutions, she said.
Asked whether the issue of dearness allowance was taken up in the meeting, chaired by Suvendu Adhikari, Paul said, “There was no discussion on DA today. Such discussions will be held later."
A few days ago, the Suvendu goverment reportedly withdrew petition filed by Mamata government against the high court stay on state OBC list roll out.
Last year on July 28, the CJI-led bench of the Supreme Court had vacated high court's stay on implementation of the new OBC list that had a total of 140 sub-groups under OBC-A and OBC-B categories, including 80 belonging to the Muslim community.
"The Bengal cabinet decided to discontinue government assistance to groups based on religious categorisation from June. The government also scrapped the existing state OBC list in accordance with the Calcutta High Court judgment and will set up a panel to decide quota eligibility," said minister Agnimitra Paul.
She said schemes being implemented under religious categorisation by the departments of Information and Cultural Affairs and the Minority Affairs and Madrasa Education would continue till the end of this month and would be stopped from June.
"The cabinet gave a nod to the 'Annapurna' scheme of Rs 3,000 monthly assistance to women from June 1. It also approved a proposal to allow free travel for women in government-run buses from next month," she said after the second meeting of the state council of ministers.
The BJP, during the recent assembly poll campaign, had pledged that its government would ensure free travel for women in state-run buses and offer a Rs 3,000 monthly scheme to them, as against the Rs 1,500 provided under the previous TMC government's "Lakhsmir Bhandar" scheme.
Asked whether the issue of dearness allowance was taken up in the meeting, chaired by Suvendu Adhikari, Paul said, “There was no discussion on DA today. Such discussions will be held later."
Comments (53)
I
IndianMost Interacted
1 hour ago
PM Modi has just been told by the Dutch Prime Minister that the BJP government is stripping away the rights of backward classes an...Read More
8 Replies
4
37
Reply
end of article
Trending Stories
- ‘Not happening today!’: Is Ashwin hinting at MS Dhoni’s retirement in 2027?
- ED arrests AAP leader Deepak Singla after raids; Atishi alleges bid to access organisational data
- ‘I am trapped bro, tu mat ...’: After Noida woman Twisha Sharma’s 'dowry' death, her last messages surface
- ‘Above my pay grade’: DC coach Badani questions Cricket Australia’s decision to release Starc late
- 'Fit lag raha hu na': MS Dhoni trains with NSG commandos as CSK fans wait for Chepauk return
- Who is Aaron Rai’s golfer wife Gaurika Bishnoi? All about PGA Champion’s personal life
04:50 'Bail is rule, jail exception even in UAPA cases': SC expresses reservations over order denying bail to Umar Khalid
Featured in India
- Suvendu govt forms panels to probe corruption, torture of women during Mamata's tenure
- Baramulla MP Engineer Rashid granted interim bail till June 2 after father’s demise
- Kerala CM Satheesan forms SIT to probe 2023 attacks on Congress workers during Left regime
- 'Won't tolerate attacks on police': West Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari on Kolkata violence; 40 held
- TMC’s Jahangir Khan moves Calcutta HC, seeks protection from arrest days after CM Suvendu Adhikari’s 'Pushpa' remark
- Heatwave alert: IMD forecasts severe heat conditions in northwest and central India this week
Videos
05:36 ₹3,000 More For ASHA Workers, Free Bus Travel For Women: Satheesan's First Decisions As Kerala CM04:29 Yogi Adityanath’s Remarks On Namaz During Shift Triggers Political Controversy04:25 MK Stalin Says Vijay’s TVK Won Tamil Nadu Polls Through Instagram & Children05:56 WHO Declares Ebola Outbreak A Global Emergency | Is India Prepared?03:52 ED Raids AAP Leader Deepak Singla’s Home; Atishi Alleges BJP Targeting Party In Goa03:31 “Dangerous Escalation”: India Condemns Drone Attack Near Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in UAE04:50 SC Raises Serious Reservation Over Umar Khalid Bail Rejection; Says ‘Bail Is Rule, Jail Exception’03:04 Police Recover Several Aadhaar Cards, Govt Land Documents From TMC Office In Bidhannagar03:01 VD Satheesan To Be Sworn In As Kerala CM Today; 20-Member Cabinet To Take Oath
Photostories
- 5 most alluring grey snakes in the world
- 10 seasonal vegetables one should eat in the month of May
- Oncologist warns parents should NEVER use these products on children: Some of these are surprisingly common
- 7 animals that are not scared of snakes
- 5 effective ways to keep house flies away from home and prevent yourself from falling sick
- 7 stunning glass houses worldwide that redefine modern living and architectural beauty
- Virat Kohli’s most powerful quotes for anyone struggling with stress, career pressure, or burnout
- Bobcat vs lynx: Can you actually tell the difference between two similar-looking cats?
- 8 Actors who turned down the role of James Bond: Rod Taylor, Richard Johnson, and more
- 8 easy hobbies that slow brain aging
Hot Picks
Top Trends
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media