Wastik case: Fear, disbelief grip Amroha village after 2 bros killed in encounter

Wastik case: Fear, disbelief grip Amroha village after 2 bros killed in encounter
Amroha: Fear, anger and disbelief gripped Said Nagli village in Amroha after two brothers -- Gulfam Ali (28) and Zeeshan Ali (22), suspected of allegedly slitting the throat of ex-Muslim YouTuber Saleem Wastik in his Ghaziabad office -- were killed in separate police encounters earlier this week.The family's modest home remained locked from inside on Thursday as relatives mourned, while the usually busy lanes wore an eerie silence.Residents said the atmosphere during the holy month of Ramzan was never this tense. "Ramzan is usually a time when people gather and pray together, but this time the atmosphere is heavy. People are in shock and not ready to believe that the brothers could do something like that," said Noor Mohammad, a villager.In hushed tones, locals questioned the veracity of police's claims. "The family barely earns Rs 10,000–15,000 a month. How could they afford a pistol worth Rs 2.5 lakh? If they had such a weapon, they would have shot Salim," said a neighbour, requesting anonymity."If police had proof, they should have arrested them and presented them in court. Encounters only leave more questions than answers. It cannot become the only form of justice," said another villager.
Inside a small two-room house, the brothers' father, Buniyad Ali (58), lay on a cot, devastated by the loss. "Our family has no criminal record for generations. Killing my two sons in an encounter makes it appear as if they were hardened criminals," he said."I don't have enough money to fight a court case against the system. My only focus now will be to look after Gulfam's two young children."A neighbour, requesting anonymity, said people were afraid to speak openly. "Who will talk about this? The govt and police are targeting a particular community. People are scared to even discuss the case openly. The family always lived a simple life. They worked as carpenters and struggled to make ends meet. It is painful to see their name being linked with crime like this."Local police confirmed that no criminal case was ever registered against any member of the family. "Both the brothers lived in Delhi-NCR for several years and visited home once in a month or two. The elder brother's family lived with them while their elderly parents lived here. No criminal case was found registered against them at the local police station," said Said Nagli SHO Vikas Kumar.The case related to an attack on Feb 27, when two men allegedly slit the throat of Ghaziabad's ex-Muslim YouTuber Saleem Wastik in his office around 2 am. Wastik survived and is currently undergoing treatment. Police claimed the two brothers were involved in the attack and were later killed in separate encounters.

author
About the AuthorRahul Singh

Rahul Singh, a principal correspondent, is based in Meerut. A graduate of Journalism and Law, he extensively covers court judgements and crime and has a penchant for off-beat human interest stories.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media