Meerut: A property dispute in Shahjahanpur allegedly turned violent after a group of people attacked a family inside their house in the Nigohi police station area, leaving several members injured, police said on Tuesday.
As per the complaint filed by a resident of Dhulliya village, the family had been locked out of their house by some local residents amid an ongoing dispute over land possession. The complainant said the family re-entered the house on May 17 after breaking the lock and resumed living there.
The next morning, an argument escalated when several persons allegedly entered the house armed with sticks and sharp weapons and assaulted the family members. The complainant further alleged that the accused misbehaved with the women of the household and even sexually assaulted them.
Several people, including women, sustained injuries in the clash. A video of the incident later surfaced on social media, prompting police to intensify action.
Police said an FIR has been registered under BNS sections 75 (sexual harassment), 109 (attempt to murder), 190 and 191(2) (rioting), along with other relevant sections.
SP Saurabh Dixit told TOI that two accused have been taken into custody and are being questioned. “An FIR has been registered in the matter, and further legal action is underway,” he said.
Police said raids are being conducted to arrest the remaining accused and that the investigation is underway based on medical reports and video evidence.