New govt returns to 7% OBC quota, scraps 17%

New govt returns to 7% OBC quota, scraps 17%
Kolkata: The Suvendu Adhikari-led BJP govt on Tuesday revised West Bengal's OBC reservation list to 7% from 17% in line with a Calcutta High Court order, and regularised 66 communities that were included on the state's OBC reservation list before 2010.The list now included several traditional and social communities, such as Kapali, Kurmi, Nai (Napit), Tanti, Dhanuk, Kasai, Khandait, Turha, Paharia Muslim, Devanga and Hajjam (Muslim).The move came days after the new govt scrapped the existing state OBC list. With the notification, the backward classes welfare department said the communities would now be eligible for 7% reservation in govt services and posts and it would also apply to college admissions, which were currently underway.The Mamata Banerjee govt introduced a category-wise OBC reservation structure of 10% for Category A (more backward classes) and 7% for Category B (backward classes). The govt provided 10% reservation for 80+ communities and sub-categories under OBC Category A. It was challenged in the Calcutta HC, with questions being raised about the criteria used for listing these communities.Last year, college admissions were delayed after Bengal's notification, mandating a 17% OBC quota in admissions and hirings, was stayed by the Calcutta HC.
While the Supreme Court lifted the stay, a single bench of the HC, in a JEE matter on Aug 7, said the old OBC quota formula of 7%, as was in force in 2010, would be applicable for admissions. The state moved the Supreme Court, and after getting relief, initiated admissions based on the 17% OBC quota.The Calcutta HC struck down several classes, named under the West Bengal Backward Classes (Other than Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes) (Reservation of Vacancies in Services and Posts) Act, 2012.Tuesday's notification was issued in compliance with the HC order of May 2024, which struck down the OBC status of several communities in Bengal, calling it illegal. Education department officials said the OBC quota was revised to 7% in the centralised admission portal that started functioning on Tuesday. A department official said, "We were awaiting an instruction to avoid any confusion." Presidency University registrar Debajyoti Konar said, "We are following the state order on the reservation policy in all matters of establishment and admission." Presidency's UG portal opened on Tuesday and JU's portal was scheduled to open on Wednesday. JU registrar Selim Box Mandal said, "We will admit students following the state's 7% OBC reservation order."

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media