KOLKATA: A fire that broke out in a leather manufacturing unit "illegally" operating from a mixed-use building in Tiljala on Tuesday led to two labourers dying and three being hospitalised after they allegedly inhaled toxic smoke while trapped inside a washroom. Police suspect carbon monoxide poisoning behind the deaths.
Investigators said the blaze may have been triggered by a short circuit on the first floor. Smoke quickly filled the premises and blocked the only door of the room. In a bid to escape, five workers reportedly locked themselves in a washroom. "The fire possibly caused the metal lock to expand, preventing the door from opening. Smoke accumulated inside and they suffocated. By the time they were rescued, all five were unconscious," said an officer.
All five were taken to Calcutta National Medical College and Hospital, where two were declared dead on arrival. The deceased were identified as Md Hasanur Zaman (40) and Rajesh (35), both of whom reportedly lived on the factory premises. The three injured — Md Yusuf, Gour Sardar and Md Tanveer — are undergoing treatment, with Yusuf and Sardar critical.
CM Suvendu Adhikari said, "Wait for the fact-finding team's report by 11 am on Wednesday. Keep in mind that this is the first, and the last such incident. Illegal activities will not be allowed." Earlier chief secretary Manoj Agarwal had formed a four-member committee of two additional chief secretaries, the Kolkata Police commissioner and KMC commissioner.
Urban development minister Agnimitra Paul visited the site and said the factory had been operating illegally from a residential neighbourhood. "The electrical wiring was poor, which may have caused the short circuit. All such buildings will be inspected and strict action will be taken against violators," she said. Paul also visited the injured at the hospital.
The incident took place at a G+4 building on GJ Khan Road, where the leather manufacturing unit allegedly operated from the first and second floors. People reside on the upper floors. Workers said around 30 labourers were employed there.
One of the labourers who helped rescue the victims said he had stepped out for lunch when the fire broke out. "When I returned, people were trying to douse the flames with water. I realised five workers were trapped inside. A few of us broke open the bathroom door and found them lying unconscious. There were no visible burn injuries. It seemed they suffocated," he said. He added that the owner of the unit had briefly arrived at the spot when four fire tenders were dousing the blaze but left after cops arrived. Officers said the owner is absconding.
Assistant commissioner Ashesh Biswas said a forensic team will collect samples. "We have started a probe," he said.
Family members of the victims later gathered at the hospital. Kutubuddin Molla, Zaman's brother-in-law, said the victim worked at the unit for nearly eight years and lived there. Gour Sardar's brother Tarun said, "We are praying he survives."