• News
  • Meghalaya Government Negotiates with Army for Eastern Bypass Construction Amid Ongoing Search for Missing Girl

Meghalaya Government Negotiates with Army for Eastern Bypass Construction Amid Ongoing Search for Missing Girl

Meghalaya government is actively seeking a permanent resolution for the Mawshbuit-Happy Valley road issue, Deputy CM Prestone Tynsong informed the Assembly. Negotiations are underway with defence authorities to acquire a 300-meter stretch for constructing an Eastern Bypass to decongest Shillong. Tynsong also addressed the ongoing search for a missing girl from North Garo Hills, with efforts extending to Assam.
Meghalaya Government Negotiates with Army for Eastern Bypass Construction Amid Ongoing Search for Missing Girl
Shillong: Meghalaya govt is exploring all avenues to find a permanent solution regarding the status of the 600-meter road from Mawshbuit to Happy Valley, which has been claimed by the Army, deputy chief minister Prestone Tynsong informed the Assembly on Tuesday. Tynsong, who is in charge of the public works department (roads), said the govt is negotiating with defence authorities to acquire a 300-meter stretch that touches defence land for road construction. He was replying to a query raised by opposition member Heavingstone Kharpran. He said the govt is confident that the land would be acquired, paving the way for the construction of an Eastern Bypass. “This will help decongest Shillong, as commercial vehicles will no longer enter the city,” Tynsong said. The state govt has already written to the general officer commanding (GOC) of the 101 Area regarding the matter, and a positive response from the Army is expected soon, he added. Tynsong, who also oversees the home (police) department, told the Assembly that the govt is making “utmost serious” efforts to locate a minor girl who has been missing from the North Garo Hills region since July 18 this year. He said several agencies — including the police, community members, and NGOs — are “working tirelessly” to trace the six-year-old child.
Search operations have also extended to Assam, considering the possibility of cross-border involvement. One person has been arrested in connection with the case, but no conclusive breakthrough has been achieved so far. The search continues, he reiterated. Earlier, ruling party legislator Rupert Momin of the National People’s Party moved a zero-hour notice urging the government to strengthen the intelligence branch to better handle such cases. Meanwhile, responding to a calling attention motion by opposition member Heavingstone Kharpran, minister in charge of home (civil defence and home guards), Comingone Ymbon, told the House that the final post-mortem report of a Meghalaya home guard found dead in Assam is still pending.

author
About the Author
Manosh Das

He is based in Meghalaya and reports on local issues including security, politics, and social developments, providing detailed coverage of events in the Northeast region, especially Meghalaya. His work reflects ground-level realities and concerns of the state's diverse communities.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media