
Western Railway launched its biggest anti-encroachment operation in Mumbai at Garib Nagar near Bandra station after court clearance. Hundreds of structures are being demolished to reclaim railway land.

The drive, which began on Tuesday, continued into Thursday amid tensions. Officials said the operation targets nearly 5,200 square metres of land worth around Rs 600 crore. The action follows long-standing efforts to clear encroachments near critical railway infrastructure.

Officials said the encroachment had grown over decades, making the operation large and complex. The demolition is being carried out in phases to ensure systematic clearance and minimise disruption.

A large security force was deployed for the demolition drive, including 400 police personnel, 400 GRP and RPF staff, and nearly 200 railway officials. Authorities said Garib Nagar had expanded dangerously close to Harbour line tracks and overhead electric (OHE) equipment. Several multi-storey structures reportedly exceeded nearby footbridge height, creating safety concerns. (PTI Photo)

Families, including children and elderly residents, were seen sitting outdoors with belongings in extreme heat. The sudden eviction has raised concerns over displacement and adequacy of rehabilitation measures. (PTI Photo)

A recent High Court order dated April 29 allowed removal of unauthorised structures, which was not stayed by the Supreme Court. This legal clearance enabled Western Railway to begin large-scale demolition operations in the area.

A lathicharge was used to disperse the crowd on Wednesday. Seven policemen and six protesters were injured, while around 10 people were detained. An FIR was filed for rioting and assault on officials.

Multiple entry points into Garib Nagar were sealed to prevent unrest. Barricades were set up around Bandra station and Bandra Terminus. Despite arrangements, passengers faced disruption and traffic congestion, with many forced to walk long distances carrying luggage after routes were blocked.

Many residents claimed they had lived in Garib Nagar for decades and possessed civic documents like tax receipts and utility bills. They alleged they were given insufficient time to vacate and lacked proper rehabilitation support. (PTI Photo)

Residents also criticised the timing of the demolition, saying it coincided with Eid preparations. Many families said they were preparing for the festival when eviction began. Some locals claimed earlier assurances had been given about protection of the settlement. (PTI Photo)