Ferry carrying 350 passengers sinks off southern Philippines, at least 15 dead
A ferry carrying more than 350 people sank after midnight off an island in the southern Philippines, killing at least 15 people while more than 300 others were rescued, Philippine authorities said on Monday.
The M/V Trisha Kerstin 3, an inter-island passenger and cargo ferry, went down about a nautical mile off Basilan province while travelling from Zamboanga City to Jolo island in Sulu province, as per news agency AP.
The Philippine Coast Guard said the vessel was carrying 332 passengers and 27 crew members when it apparently encountered technical problems and sank in good weather conditions.
Rescue teams have so far saved at least 316 people, while search operations continue for possible missing passengers, officials said.
Coast guard commander Romel Dua said that a coast guard safety officer on board the ferry managed to alert authorities before the vessel went down, triggering an immediate rescue response.
“There was a coast guard safety officer on board and he was the first to call and alert us to deploy rescue vessels,” Dua said, adding that the officer survived, as quoted by AP.
Coast guard and navy ships, a surveillance plane, an air force Black Hawk helicopter and local fishing boats were deployed in the search-and-rescue operation off Basilan, according to AP.
Basilan governor Mujiv Hataman said survivors and bodies were brought to Isabela City, the provincial capital. “I’m receiving 37 people here in the pier. Unfortunately, two are dead,” Hataman told AP.
Authorities later confirmed that at least 15 bodies had been recovered.
Local officials said many survivors were initially taken to the island village of Baluk-baluk in Basilan, close to where the ferry sank.
Emergency responder Ronalyn Perez told news agency AFP that at least 138 people had been rescued at that stage, warning that local medical facilities were stretched. “The challenge here really is the number of patients that are coming in. We are short-staffed at the moment,” Perez said.
Authorities said rescue numbers increased significantly as operations continued through the day.
The exact cause of the incident was not immediately clear.
Dua said there was no indication of overloading and that the coast guard had cleared the ferry before it departed Zamboanga port. An investigation has been ordered to determine what led to the sinking.
Sea accidents are frequent in the Philippines, an archipelago of more than 7,600 islands, due to storms, ageing vessels, overcrowding and uneven enforcement of safety rules, especially in remote areas.
In one of the world’s deadliest maritime disasters, the ferry Dona Paz sank in 1987 after colliding with a fuel tanker, killing more than 4,300 people.
The Philippine Coast Guard said the vessel was carrying 332 passengers and 27 crew members when it apparently encountered technical problems and sank in good weather conditions.
Rescue teams have so far saved at least 316 people, while search operations continue for possible missing passengers, officials said.
Rescue operations underway
“There was a coast guard safety officer on board and he was the first to call and alert us to deploy rescue vessels,” Dua said, adding that the officer survived, as quoted by AP.
Coast guard and navy ships, a surveillance plane, an air force Black Hawk helicopter and local fishing boats were deployed in the search-and-rescue operation off Basilan, according to AP.
Bodies recovered, survivors taken ashore
Basilan governor Mujiv Hataman said survivors and bodies were brought to Isabela City, the provincial capital. “I’m receiving 37 people here in the pier. Unfortunately, two are dead,” Hataman told AP.
Authorities later confirmed that at least 15 bodies had been recovered.
Local officials said many survivors were initially taken to the island village of Baluk-baluk in Basilan, close to where the ferry sank.
Emergency responder Ronalyn Perez told news agency AFP that at least 138 people had been rescued at that stage, warning that local medical facilities were stretched. “The challenge here really is the number of patients that are coming in. We are short-staffed at the moment,” Perez said.
Authorities said rescue numbers increased significantly as operations continued through the day.
Cause of sinking under probe
The exact cause of the incident was not immediately clear.
Dua said there was no indication of overloading and that the coast guard had cleared the ferry before it departed Zamboanga port. An investigation has been ordered to determine what led to the sinking.
Ferry accidents common in Philippines
Sea accidents are frequent in the Philippines, an archipelago of more than 7,600 islands, due to storms, ageing vessels, overcrowding and uneven enforcement of safety rules, especially in remote areas.
In one of the world’s deadliest maritime disasters, the ferry Dona Paz sank in 1987 after colliding with a fuel tanker, killing more than 4,300 people.
Top Comment
n
null
15 hours ago
The worst part about the Philippines is that they never ever follow rules and regulation. If the ferry has a limitation of numbers of passengers, they will take on double the required number. Be it shipping or public transport. They never ever follow safety measures. They are the cause of all deaths. Greed for making extra money. Shame on them. The highest corrupted country in the world. Without bribe, they will not do your work. They love to show the world how peace-loving people they are, in reality they are the true devils. Immigration is the worst in the Philippines, they are the most disgusting people. They treat visitors like dirt. We should treat the same way. throw them out from all over the world.Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- ‘Lost interest’: Days after President’s Delhi visit, UAE scraps its airport deal with Pakistan
- Xi Jinping’s 'Sacred Games': Why China’s leader keeps purging PLA generals
- “Brothers Forever”: UAE announces week-long nationwide festival celebrating decades of ties with Kuwait
- Bangladesh crisis: Ex-police chief among 3 cops sentenced to death for protest crackdown
- Half the oxygen, no running water: inside the world’s highest town where 50,000 people still live
end of article
Trending Stories
- MI vs RCB, WPL Live: Mumbai Indians win by 15 runs
- Jason Robertson emerges as Rangers’ top trade target as New York looks to replace Artemi Panarin
- ‘Future in-laws’ at Sundance: why Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s moms just became the main character
- Sam Darnold health update: Limited practice not an issue, Seahawks QB shrugs off oblique injury to lead Seattle into Super Bowl
- “The writing just dries up”: Travis Kelce romance fuels debate as Taylor Swift fears her lyrical storytelling is fading
- Tom Brady may be feeling differently as Alix Earle reportedly "continues texting him" amid romance rumors
- Travis Kelce suffers another heartbreaking blow as doubts grow over his future while Taylor Swift stands beside him
Featured in world
- Have you ever paid your employer from salary? Immigration expert explains what this question by a border agent to an H-1B worker means
- Could the UK bring back mandatory military service? What happens if you refuse
- Iran tensions: US aircraft carrier, warships arrive in Middle East
- ‘Hindu man looking down...’: Casey Putsch says Vivek Ramaswamy is working with ‘anti-Christ’
- ‘Americans who hate Indians…’: Social media reacts to free samosas given at anti‑ICE protests
- Private jet crashes in US: 7 killed, 1 severely injured; aircraft went down shortly after takeoff
Photostories
- 5 paintings of Amrita Shergill and what makes them so extraordinary
- Top January 2026 releases on Hulu: 'The Beauty', 'Tell Me Lies Season 3', and more
- How to make classic Chettinad Potato Fry for dinner at home
- Why PM Narendra Modi mentioned Ashwagandha in his speech: 4 brilliant ways to include it in daily meals
- Why are wildlife enthusiasts going crazy after the Dhikala Zone of Jim Corbett National Park?
- 5 times Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce slayed — together
- 8 Indian Kebabs ranked among the world’s best 59
- Chennai’s Port–Maduravoyal Expressway takes shape as double-decker corridor over Cooum
- ‘Rang De Basanti’ to ‘Fighter’: Movies released on the 26 January window that evoked patriotic emotions over the years
- Timeless wheels, royal rides: A peek into Mumbai’s vintage car extravaganza
Videos
09:37 Putin's Chilling ULTIMATUM To Trump As Iran War Looms Large | 'US Attack Could Ignite Mideast'09:05 German Defence Minister Demands Trump Apology Over Disrespect To NATO Troops In Afghanistan07:15 US Aircraft With 8 Onboard Overturns As Winter Storm Paralyses Airports; 13,000+ Fights Cancelled08:37 Russia-US-Ukraine Trilateral Failed? Kremlin's Bombshell On Peace Talks | 'Donbas Non-negotiable'06:16 ‘Coming Soon!’: Houthis Hint At War In Chilling ‘Teaser’; Trump Stunned As US Warships Head To Iran07:11 'ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!': Maduro Aide Delcy Defies Trump On Venezuela Oil Control, Resists US Pressure10:34 On Cam: Iran Braces for War; U.S. Military Floods Indian Ocean With Jets, Weapons, Troops10:34 On Cam: Iran Braces for War; U.S. Military Floods Indian Ocean With Jets, Weapons, Troops09:42 Putin's Attack Drones BATTER Kharkiv; Chilling Videos Show Fireballs In 2nd Strike As Kyiv Freezes
Up Next