Asim Munir's ceasefire claim on Operation Sindoor falls apart as US lobbying records contradict Pakistan
US lobbying disclosures filed under the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA) show that Pakistan engaged extensively with political, defence and national security stakeholders in Washington between May 6 and May 9, 2025, a period that coincided with India’s Operation Sindoor.
According to documents reviewed by ANI, Pakistan recorded nearly 60 interactions involving US lawmakers, congressional staff, Treasury officials, national security advisers, defence-linked personnel and journalists.
This comes as Pakistan army chief Asim Munir on Sunday claimed that New Delhi approached the United States for mediation and a ceasefire following last year's conflict after Operation Sindoor.
While addressing a ceremony at General Headquarters in Rawalpindi to mark the first anniversary of 'Marka-e-Haq', the name given by Islamabad to the four-day conflict with India, Munir claimed that Pakistan's strategy was "superior" to India's during the conflict.
“India expressed the desire for mediation through the American leadership, which Pakistan accepted in the interest of wider regional peace,” Munir said.
Asim Munir made the remarks nearly a year after India launched Operation Sindoor. During the intervening period, Munir repeatedly made statements directed at India before raising the latest claim regarding a ceasefire and US mediation.
Documents filed under FARA indicate that Pakistan was engaging political stakeholders in Washington after India launched Operation Sindoor in response to the Pahalgam terror attack and carried out strikes on terror infrastructure in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Jammu and Kashmir.
Following the launch of the operation, India said it was a tri-services mission aimed at dismantling terror infrastructure across Pakistan and PoJK. In a statement issued on the intervening night of May 6 and May 7, 2025, the ministry of defence said the armed forces had conducted precision strikes on nine terror-linked locations.
The ministry also stated that no Pakistani military facilities were targeted and described the operation as "focused, measured and non-escalatory in nature".
The records indicate that many of the interactions were requests to arrange meetings for Pakistan’s ambassador, with several entries described as “meeting request with the ambassador”. By May 7 and May 8, the filings increasingly referenced discussions related to “tensions in the region”.
Among the contacts listed were communications involving US military veteran Brian Mast, national security advisers linked to House minority leader Hakeem Jeffries, and staff from the office of Senate Majority Leader John Thune. The filings also recorded outreach to advisers connected to House Majority Leader Steve Scalise.
The activity intensified on May 9, with several entries marked as “defence attache meeting request”. According to the Pakistan Embassy in Washington, the country’s defence attache is Brigadier Irfan Ali.
The filings also highlight differing approaches by India and Pakistan in Washington during the escalation period following the Pahalgam terror attack.
According to the documents reviewed by ANI, India’s engagement in the US after the Pahalgam attack focused on seeking international condemnation of terrorism and diplomatic support against what it described as the “barbaric” attack, in which 26 civilians, 25 Indians and one Nepali citizen, were killed.
The filings further indicate coordination with a journalist from a major American newspaper regarding an interview during the same period.
The disclosures align with earlier reporting by CNN that discussions on a ceasefire between India and Pakistan had been underway for several days. However, the cessation of hostilities was eventually agreed upon after communication through a hotline between the Directors General of Military Operations (DGMOs) of the two countries.
The filings reviewed by ANI do not show comparable Indian diplomatic or defence-related outreach in Washington after the launch of Operation Sindoor and before the cessation of hostilities.
In contrast, Pakistan’s disclosures indicate sustained engagement with US political leaders, congressional offices, and defence and national security officials during the period of the Indian strikes.
India had stated before announcing the cessation of hostilities that it was Pakistan’s Director General of Military Operations (DGMO) who initiated contact with his Indian counterpart, then DGMO Rajiv Ghai.
New Delhi subsequently announced the halt in hostilities while maintaining that no third party was involved in the process.
The Government of India has also maintained that Operation Sindoor remains ongoing, stating that only the “88-hour” kinetic phase of the operation had concluded.
Following the end of that phase, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that any terror attack on India would be treated as an “act of war” and that India would respond “on our own terms, in our own way”.
Later, during a special discussion on Operation Sindoor in the Lok Sabha, PM Modi said this approach would become the “new normal”.
Operation Sindoor was launched on May 7, 2025, following the Pahalgam terror attack that killed 26 civilians. The operation was a calibrated tri-services response aimed at targeting terror infrastructure across the Line of Control and inside Pakistan.
The operation was based on multi-agency intelligence inputs that identified nine major camps targeted during the strikes. The mission involved detailed planning and an intelligence-led approach designed to minimise collateral damage, with operational restraint exercised to avoid civilian casualties.
Following Operation Sindoor, Pakistan launched retaliatory drone and unmanned combat aerial vehicle (UCAV) attacks targeting Indian airbases and logistics infrastructure. These attempts were intercepted and neutralised by the country’s layered air defence systems.
While addressing a ceremony at General Headquarters in Rawalpindi to mark the first anniversary of 'Marka-e-Haq', the name given by Islamabad to the four-day conflict with India, Munir claimed that Pakistan's strategy was "superior" to India's during the conflict.
“India expressed the desire for mediation through the American leadership, which Pakistan accepted in the interest of wider regional peace,” Munir said.
Documents filed under FARA indicate that Pakistan was engaging political stakeholders in Washington after India launched Operation Sindoor in response to the Pahalgam terror attack and carried out strikes on terror infrastructure in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Jammu and Kashmir.
Following the launch of the operation, India said it was a tri-services mission aimed at dismantling terror infrastructure across Pakistan and PoJK. In a statement issued on the intervening night of May 6 and May 7, 2025, the ministry of defence said the armed forces had conducted precision strikes on nine terror-linked locations.
The ministry also stated that no Pakistani military facilities were targeted and described the operation as "focused, measured and non-escalatory in nature".
The records indicate that many of the interactions were requests to arrange meetings for Pakistan’s ambassador, with several entries described as “meeting request with the ambassador”. By May 7 and May 8, the filings increasingly referenced discussions related to “tensions in the region”.
Among the contacts listed were communications involving US military veteran Brian Mast, national security advisers linked to House minority leader Hakeem Jeffries, and staff from the office of Senate Majority Leader John Thune. The filings also recorded outreach to advisers connected to House Majority Leader Steve Scalise.
The activity intensified on May 9, with several entries marked as “defence attache meeting request”. According to the Pakistan Embassy in Washington, the country’s defence attache is Brigadier Irfan Ali.
The filings also highlight differing approaches by India and Pakistan in Washington during the escalation period following the Pahalgam terror attack.
According to the documents reviewed by ANI, India’s engagement in the US after the Pahalgam attack focused on seeking international condemnation of terrorism and diplomatic support against what it described as the “barbaric” attack, in which 26 civilians, 25 Indians and one Nepali citizen, were killed.
The filings further indicate coordination with a journalist from a major American newspaper regarding an interview during the same period.
The disclosures align with earlier reporting by CNN that discussions on a ceasefire between India and Pakistan had been underway for several days. However, the cessation of hostilities was eventually agreed upon after communication through a hotline between the Directors General of Military Operations (DGMOs) of the two countries.
The filings reviewed by ANI do not show comparable Indian diplomatic or defence-related outreach in Washington after the launch of Operation Sindoor and before the cessation of hostilities.
In contrast, Pakistan’s disclosures indicate sustained engagement with US political leaders, congressional offices, and defence and national security officials during the period of the Indian strikes.
India had stated before announcing the cessation of hostilities that it was Pakistan’s Director General of Military Operations (DGMO) who initiated contact with his Indian counterpart, then DGMO Rajiv Ghai.
New Delhi subsequently announced the halt in hostilities while maintaining that no third party was involved in the process.
The Government of India has also maintained that Operation Sindoor remains ongoing, stating that only the “88-hour” kinetic phase of the operation had concluded.
Following the end of that phase, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that any terror attack on India would be treated as an “act of war” and that India would respond “on our own terms, in our own way”.
Later, during a special discussion on Operation Sindoor in the Lok Sabha, PM Modi said this approach would become the “new normal”.
Operation Sindoor was launched on May 7, 2025, following the Pahalgam terror attack that killed 26 civilians. The operation was a calibrated tri-services response aimed at targeting terror infrastructure across the Line of Control and inside Pakistan.
The operation was based on multi-agency intelligence inputs that identified nine major camps targeted during the strikes. The mission involved detailed planning and an intelligence-led approach designed to minimise collateral damage, with operational restraint exercised to avoid civilian casualties.
Following Operation Sindoor, Pakistan launched retaliatory drone and unmanned combat aerial vehicle (UCAV) attacks targeting Indian airbases and logistics infrastructure. These attempts were intercepted and neutralised by the country’s layered air defence systems.
Comments (56)
M
Mohammed Shabab KhanMost Interacted
4 days ago
As an Indian Muslim I don't trust Modi. He is born liar like all Gujjus are. Nur khan airbase that our army attacked and said was ...Read More
10 Replies
1
65
Reply
Popular from World
- Red, White, and Due: Desi doc under lens for birthright babies
- The Diamond Sutra: The world’s oldest printed book was sealed inside a secret cave in China with thousands of ancient texts
- Trump-Xi summit ends with twist: US staff dump Chinese-issued phones, badges before boarding Air Force One
- Lost beneath Sudan’s sands: Scientists discover 6,000-year-old massive monuments from a forgotten civilisation
- Panda hugs denied: Trump returns home to Washington mauling after China flex
end of article
Trending Stories
- Kerala SSLC Result 2026 (OUT): Class 10 results out, pass percentage at 99.07%
- Luka Doncic’s absence from Slovenia’s summer qualifiers takes a new turn amid ongoing messy custody situation with ex fiancée
- LSG vs CSK Live: Marsh lit up Lucknow and dimmed Chennai’s hopes after seven-wicket win
- Bhojshala complex is temple of Goddess Vagdevi, Hindus have right to worship: Madhya Pradesh high court
04:11 Petrol, diesel prices hiked by Rs 3 per litre effective immediately; check rates in your city- IPL: How Lucknow Super Giants can make or break CSK’s playoff hopes?
- Noida woman, daughter-in-law of retired judge, found hanging 5 months after wedding
Featured in world
- Snakes everywhere: 120 Burmese python eggs discovered in Florida’s Everglades
- Super-rich NRI who called himself 'recession-proof' in 2008 sent to jail: His New Jersey mansion had salt water pool surrounded by imported sand
- Meet Zhou Qunfei: Once she worked in a glass factory, now she runs a $26 billion company and sits alongside Elon Musk and Tim Cook at China’s state dinner
- Chud the Builder visibly disappointed as bond hits $1.25 million
- 'No evidence you suffered in India': Inside Sanaullah Khan Mohammed's failed attempt to get asylum in US
- Scientists discover ‘shy plant’ that can count without even having a brain
Photostories
- Urvashi Rautela serves pearl-core royal drama for her second look at Cannes 2026 and it has a Princess Diana twist
- Kishwer Merchant recalls her father’s reaction to her interfaith marriage and age gap with Suyyash Rai; reacts to her son being trolled for wearing a skull cap
- Lauki vs Tori: Which has more nutrition for summer and 5 interesting ways to eat them
- From transparent bodies to underground lives: 5 bizarre frogs you’ve probably never heard of
- Personality test: Mango, litchi, watermelon? Pick a fruit and see if you are a natural leader, kind, or creative
- Cannes 2026:Why Sanam Saeed’s Cannes debut is a major moment for Pakistani cinema
- How to grow butterfly-friendly native plants in Indian city home gardens
- Not just travel: 10 cheapest countries to retire in — 9 and 10 will surprise you
- 8 modern TV unit designs to instantly upgrade your living room
- 5 adorable dog breeds that stay puppy-sized forever
Videos
06:54 Did Trump Actually 'Sneak Peek' At Xi's Notes? Here's What Really Happened During Beijing Banquet09:31 Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang Ditches Luxury For Beijing Street Noodles After Elon's Viral 'Tourist' Blitz29:12 ‘Who’s Really Begging?’: Iran EXPOSES Trump’s Backchannel Push For Talks | WATCH08:19 Trump Puts Xi Jinping On The Spot With 'Friendship Test' During Historic Beijing Walk07:17 20 Iranian Sailors Walk Free After U.S Seized Their Ship; Pakistan Drops Big Update09:32 MQ-9 Reapers, Boeing E-3 Sentry & What Not: How U.S. Lost 39 Aircraft In 40 Days Of Iran War06:11 FBI Director Kash Patel’s Secret Pearl Harbor Trip Triggers Massive Online Meltdown | WATCH09:28 Xi Sends Trump Home Empty-Handed: No Mega Deals, No Breakthroughs, Just Photo Ops10:47 'Chinese Can Snoop On Anyone': Trump Team Destroys Phones, Gadgets, Gifts Before China Departure
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media