After hantavirus, now norovirus? How a gut bug forced a France cruise ship into lockdown
French authorities on Wednesday eased restrictions on passengers aboard the British cruise ship Ambition after tests confirmed that a gastrointestinal virus, potentially norovirus and not hantavirus, was behind an outbreak that sickened dozens on board.
The ship, operated by Ambassador Cruise Line, had earlier been placed under temporary lockdown in the port city of Bordeaux after concerns emerged over a possible link to the deadly hantavirus outbreak aboard the Dutch-flagged MV Hondius.
However, French authorities said there was “no reason” to connect the two incidents.
Authorities said around 80 people on the Ambition developed symptoms linked to an acute digestive infection since Monday,
At least 48 passengers and one crew member were still showing gastrointestinal symptoms as of Wednesday morning, according to news agency AP.
The ship was carrying 1,233 passengers, mostly from Britain and Ireland, along with 514 crew members.
French officials said testing confirmed the outbreak was “a gastro-intestinal infection of viral origin”. No severe cases were reported, and asymptomatic passengers were later allowed to disembark.
Passengers who remained ill were asked to stay isolated in their cabins.
The vessel had sailed from the Shetland Islands on May 6 and stopped in Belfast and Liverpool before arriving in Bordeaux. It was scheduled to continue towards Spain before returning to Liverpool on May 22.
Concern initially intensified after a 92-year-old British passenger died on board.
But health officials later said the man had suffered a heart attack and that his death appeared unrelated to the gastrointestinal outbreak.
“At this stage, no link has been established with the gastroenteritis episode,” authorities said, according to news agency AFP.
The passenger’s body remained on board in line with international maritime conventions, officials added.
Authorities said restrictions were imposed “as an abundance of caution” amid global concern over the separate hantavirus outbreak aboard the MV Hondius.
One passenger, Seos Guilidhe from Belfast, told AFP via Facebook that life onboard was continuing relatively normally despite enhanced hygiene measures.
“We are onboard with extra sanitation guidelines in place. It is not as bad as it was during Covid. People just going about as normal,” he said while “playing bingo” on the ship.
He later added: “We are allowed off the ship, restrictions lifted.”
Others described more difficult conditions. “Two of us in one cabin with the bug is a challenge,” one infected passenger wrote on Facebook, according to AFP.
The outbreak drew extra scrutiny because of the recent hantavirus outbreak aboard the MV Hondius, which prompted an international health response.
The World Health Organization confirmed eight laboratory cases of Andes virus, the only hantavirus strain known to spread between humans, aboard the Hondius. Three passengers linked to that outbreak died.
Health authorities stressed that no evidence currently links the Ambition outbreak to hantavirus cases.
Cruise ships regularly face gastrointestinal outbreaks, often linked to norovirus.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recorded 23 such outbreaks on cruise ships last year.
Gastroenteritis is commonly referred to as the stomach flu. Its primary symptoms consist of vomiting and diarrhea. This illness spreads easily but typically does not result in serious outcomes, although it can occasionally lead to more severe issues such as dehydration.
It is very different from hantavirus, which has a high mortality rate but transmits only in rare cases and requires close contact.
What happened on board?
Authorities said around 80 people on the Ambition developed symptoms linked to an acute digestive infection since Monday,
The ship was carrying 1,233 passengers, mostly from Britain and Ireland, along with 514 crew members.
French officials said testing confirmed the outbreak was “a gastro-intestinal infection of viral origin”. No severe cases were reported, and asymptomatic passengers were later allowed to disembark.
Passengers who remained ill were asked to stay isolated in their cabins.
The vessel had sailed from the Shetland Islands on May 6 and stopped in Belfast and Liverpool before arriving in Bordeaux. It was scheduled to continue towards Spain before returning to Liverpool on May 22.
Passenger dies during voyage
Concern initially intensified after a 92-year-old British passenger died on board.
But health officials later said the man had suffered a heart attack and that his death appeared unrelated to the gastrointestinal outbreak.
“At this stage, no link has been established with the gastroenteritis episode,” authorities said, according to news agency AFP.
The passenger’s body remained on board in line with international maritime conventions, officials added.
Passengers describe conditions onboard
Authorities said restrictions were imposed “as an abundance of caution” amid global concern over the separate hantavirus outbreak aboard the MV Hondius.
One passenger, Seos Guilidhe from Belfast, told AFP via Facebook that life onboard was continuing relatively normally despite enhanced hygiene measures.
“We are onboard with extra sanitation guidelines in place. It is not as bad as it was during Covid. People just going about as normal,” he said while “playing bingo” on the ship.
He later added: “We are allowed off the ship, restrictions lifted.”
Others described more difficult conditions. “Two of us in one cabin with the bug is a challenge,” one infected passenger wrote on Facebook, according to AFP.
Why authorities were cautious
The outbreak drew extra scrutiny because of the recent hantavirus outbreak aboard the MV Hondius, which prompted an international health response.
The World Health Organization confirmed eight laboratory cases of Andes virus, the only hantavirus strain known to spread between humans, aboard the Hondius. Three passengers linked to that outbreak died.
Health authorities stressed that no evidence currently links the Ambition outbreak to hantavirus cases.
Cruise ships regularly face gastrointestinal outbreaks, often linked to norovirus.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recorded 23 such outbreaks on cruise ships last year.
Gastroenteritis is commonly referred to as the stomach flu. Its primary symptoms consist of vomiting and diarrhea. This illness spreads easily but typically does not result in serious outcomes, although it can occasionally lead to more severe issues such as dehydration.
It is very different from hantavirus, which has a high mortality rate but transmits only in rare cases and requires close contact.
Comments (1)
R
Rated R Superstar NullMost Interacted
1 hour ago
Coronavirus, Hanta Virus, Norovirus, KelaVirus And So On!...Read More
Reply
0
Reply
Popular from World
- ‘Entirely unfounded’: UAE denies reports of secret visit by Israel PM Netanyahu during Iran conflict
- Quote of the day by Plato: “We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
- Ahead of BRICS meet, Iran blames UAE for lack of consensus; Tehran to allow more Indian vessels to pass
- ‘Accept with a grin’: Sanctioned by US, Chinese satellite firm turns blacklist into hiring pitch
- Major ICE crackdown on 10,000 foreign students on OPT; 'fake companies' being operated from India
end of article
Trending Stories
- West Bengal HS Result 2026 Live Updates: WBCHSE Class 12 scores on May 14 at 11 AM, websites and passing marks details
- WB HS Result 2026: Adrito Paul tops West Bengal Class 12 exams- full list of toppers inside
- WB HS Class 12th result 2026 released on TOI portal: Here's how you can check your scores
- West Bengal HS Result 2026 Out: What to do if official WBBSE websites crashes- alternative link to check Class 12 marks on Digilocker
- WB Class 12 Result 2026 released in press conference: Check details here
- WBCHSE HS Class 12th result: When and where to check Uchch Madhyamik results
- HBSE 10th Result 2026 likely today: How to check Haryana Board Class 10 marks- link and steps
Featured in world
- ‘Letter in drawer’: Trump left succession instructions for JD Vance in Oval Office
- After hantavirus, now norovirus? How a gut bug forced a France cruise ship into lockdown
- Hantavirus outbreak: Deadly Andes strain detected in cruise ship cases; 8 cases confirmed
- 'US, China should be partners not rivals': Key takeaways from Trump and Xi's much-watched summit
- US renews $100m Cuba aid offer; alleges Havana blocking ‘critical life-saving aid’
- 'Home Alone' at White House: Vance jokes as Trump visits China for key talks
Photostories
- Cannes 2026: What celebrities eat, wear, and do during festival week
- From door to ventilation: Bathroom mistakes that can cause problems
- This ₹100 balcony setup can grow enough herbs for daily cooking
- Did Sourav Joshi and Avantika Bhatt have a love marriage or arranged marriage? Here’s what the YouTuber said
- 5 fatherhood lessons from different cultures that prove there is no single “right” way to parent
- Why India has banned sugar exports till September 2026: 6 alternatives to sugar in Indian kitchens
- The healthiest Indian alternatives to refined white sugar
- Alia Bhatt just served peak Maharani energy in an off-shoulder gown at Cannes 2026
- Delhi heatwave is frying balcony plants: These Indian plants actually survive 45°C
- Thought of the day, inspired by the Bhagavad Gita: The mind can be your friend or your enemy
Videos
- 'Iran Not Controlling Hormuz': EU Leader Drops Bombshell, Blasts Trump For Attacking Tehran
08:01 NATO Panics After Masked Mob Attacks German Soldiers Near Dutch Alliance Headquarters09:09 'Entirely Unfounded': UAE's SWIFT Denial After Netanyahu Claims Secret Meet With MBZ During Iran War12:31 ‘Unblock Hormuz Or…’: Marco Rubio Urges China To Act Against Iran Or Face Export Collapse11:41 Iran FM Araghchi Warns UAE For 'Colluding With Israel'; Netanyahu's Secret Visit Row Explodes08:03 Trump Praises Xi In Beijing As Chinese Leader Pushes New Era For US-China Cooperation06:13 Brigitte Macron ‘CAUGHT’ French President’s Flirty Text Before Last Year’s VIRAL Plane Slap: Report13:27 Mystery Drone Strike On Iranian Opposition Camp In Arab Nation; Ammo Depot Explodes | Watch08:19 'Will Develop Strategic Nuclear Forces': Putin's Big Announcement After 'SATAN II' Missile Launch
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media