This story is from October 04, 2025
'Even if India hadn't won the Champions Trophy... ': Ajit Agarkar explains why Rohit Sharma was removed from ODI captaincy
The BCCI on Saturday announced India’s squads for the upcoming white-ball tour of Australia, beginning October 19, with Shubman Gill taking over as ODI captain. The 25-year-old replaces Rohit Sharma in the 50-over format, a move confirmed by chief selector Ajit Agarkar during the squad announcement.
Gill, who already leads India in Tests following Rohit and Virat Kohli’s retirement from the format earlier this year, will now take charge in ODIs as well. Rohit and Kohli remain part of the ODI squad and are set to feature in the three-match series against Australia.
Go Beyond The Boundary with our YouTube channel. SUBSCRIBE NOW!
Agarkar explained the panel’s reasoning behind the decision, stressing the importance of long-term planning. “It’s practically impossible to have three different captains for three formats in terms of planning. You’ve got to start planning. You also play it (ODIs) the least. The focus has been on the T20 World Cup. We will surely start planning for the ODI World Cup. Gives the next guy enough time,” he said.
Responding to whether Rohit’s removal as ODI captain was a difficult call given the fact that India won the Champions Trophy under his leadership, Agarkar said, “Even if India had not won the Champions Trophy, it would have been difficult. But you’ve got to look at what’s best for the team. It’s tough with one-day cricket. You want to take a call reasonably early to give the new guy enough time.”
Asked if Rohit had been informed about the decision, Agarkar replied, “It’s a conversation between me and Rohit. But of course, he’s been communicated.”
On Gill handling additional responsibility, Agarkar added, “Hopefully not. Still quite young. We saw what he did in England under immense pressure. Really positive signs there. We hope there’s no burnout.”
The chief selector also confirmed that Gill and Rohit will continue to open in ODIs, with Yashasvi Jaiswal as backup. On Jasprit Bumrah’s absence from ODIs, Agarkar clarified it was part of workload management, “We’ve already rested him for the one-day games. When we can manage his workload, we will do it.”
On other concerns, Agarkar said Hardik Pandya remains unavailable due to injury, while Rohit and Kohli have cleared fitness tests after a long break. He acknowledged the adjustment for the two seniors: “Those are two really experienced guys who have been around for a long time. They will find it really weird to play just one format.”
India’s white-ball tour begins with ODIs on October 19, 23 and 25, followed by five T20Is from October 29 to November 8.
Go Beyond The Boundary with our YouTube channel. SUBSCRIBE NOW!
Agarkar explained the panel’s reasoning behind the decision, stressing the importance of long-term planning. “It’s practically impossible to have three different captains for three formats in terms of planning. You’ve got to start planning. You also play it (ODIs) the least. The focus has been on the T20 World Cup. We will surely start planning for the ODI World Cup. Gives the next guy enough time,” he said.
Responding to whether Rohit’s removal as ODI captain was a difficult call given the fact that India won the Champions Trophy under his leadership, Agarkar said, “Even if India had not won the Champions Trophy, it would have been difficult. But you’ve got to look at what’s best for the team. It’s tough with one-day cricket. You want to take a call reasonably early to give the new guy enough time.”
On Gill handling additional responsibility, Agarkar added, “Hopefully not. Still quite young. We saw what he did in England under immense pressure. Really positive signs there. We hope there’s no burnout.”
The chief selector also confirmed that Gill and Rohit will continue to open in ODIs, with Yashasvi Jaiswal as backup. On Jasprit Bumrah’s absence from ODIs, Agarkar clarified it was part of workload management, “We’ve already rested him for the one-day games. When we can manage his workload, we will do it.”
On other concerns, Agarkar said Hardik Pandya remains unavailable due to injury, while Rohit and Kohli have cleared fitness tests after a long break. He acknowledged the adjustment for the two seniors: “Those are two really experienced guys who have been around for a long time. They will find it really weird to play just one format.”
India’s white-ball tour begins with ODIs on October 19, 23 and 25, followed by five T20Is from October 29 to November 8.
Top Comment
n
null
92 days ago
Even so, all good things must come to an end, and Rohit should be well satisfied over her grand innings; a legend of the game.Read allPost comment
Popular from Sports
- San Francisco 49ers owner York family net worth: How a $13 Million bet turned into $8.4 Billion
- Kobe Bryant’s wife Vanessa Bryant says friends kept pushing her forward long after Los Angeles Lakers legacy froze time
- Third time is a charm! Sam Curran leads Desert Vipers to maiden ILT20 title
- Andrew McCutchen and Maria Hanslovan combined net worth: Breakdown of MLB earning, contracts, endorsements, and other assets
- Daniel Ricciardo and Heidi Berger combined net worth: F1 salary, racing success, brand endorsements, and lifestyle
end of article
Featured in sports
05:39 Mustafizur's IPL exit sparks ugly row: BAN says no to T20 WC in India; ball in ICC's court- India U19 vs SA U19 LIVE: Rowles ton lifts South Africa past 200
- No more 3-4-3: Manchester United sack head coach Ruben Amorim; here's why
- 'Unlucky to miss out': de Villiers explains why India ignored this star player
- 'Dumbest shot you'll ever see': Ex-Australia coach tears into England star
- Mustafizur row: Bangladesh government imposes indefinite IPL telecast ban
International Sports
- The worst fan video resurfaces online after the Steelers’ 26-24 win over the Ravens
- Ravens fans spam rookie kicker Tyler Loop’s Instagram after he missed field goal that cost the team its season to Steelers
- Bengals WR Ja’Marr Chase is upset with referees for allowing game stoppage for Browns DE Myles Garrett
- “He’ll be back next year”: Chris Jones shuts down Travis Kelce retirement talk after Raiders loss
- Travis Kelce drops hint on retirement timeline after Chiefs wrap up season with loss: “Either it hits me quick or …”
Trending Stories
- UP Board exam 2026 pre-board schedule released, exams from January 8 to 21
- India U19 vs SA U19 LIVE: Rowles ton lifts South Africa past 200
- JEE Main 2026 City Intimation Slip Live Updates: JEE Main pre admit card soon on jeemain.nta.nic.in; check steps to download
- 5.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Assam: Tremors felt in Morigaon; no immediate damage reported
- Who is Victoria Monét? Jaylen Brown’s viral Salsa dance partner revealed
- “Did I dunk it?”: Steph Curry’s almost-poster steals the spotlight Warriors’ dominant win over Jazz
- Sidney Crosby rewrites NHL history with clutch overtime winner, becoming first player to reach 50 OT points
Photostories
- Restoring Chennai’s Crown: The Bharat Insurance Building’s Towers, Spires, and Glory Revealed
- Why Sadhguru says parents must work on themselves before correcting children
- 5 cold-proof animals that freeze and restart life after winter
- Modern Bus Hub for Chennai: 75-year-old Broadway Redeveloped with 73 Bays; Rs 800-Crore Multi-Modal to Ease Travel
- A Road Beneath The Mountains: How A 7-Km Tunnel Will Reshape Travel To Kedarnath
- 7 bread dishes beyond sandwiches and rolls
- Weight loss food for women: 7 high-protein foods women can find anywhere
- Top 7 mistakes parents make while disciplining toddlers
- Late-night winter cravings? These 6 comfort pairings that just feel right
- 4 simple exercises to refresh tired eyes and improve vision
Up Next