Noida unrest: Rs 1 crore in ‘foreign funds’ transferred to Satyam’s account, say police
Noida: A day after slapping the National Security Act on Satyam Verma and Aakriti Choudhary for allegedly inciting violence during the April 13 labour unrest, police claimed that Verma received more than Rs 1 crore in his personal bank accounts from abroad in dollars, pounds and euros, and quickly transferred the money.
Verma’s lawyer, however, dismissed the claim as fabricated, saying police had failed to place any such evidence before the court and were now trying to build a case.
In a statement issued on Thursday, Noida police commissionerate said the allegation emerged during the probe into cases registered over the violence. Police claimed Verma transferred the funds to his other personal accounts at different times and said his links with “various organisations” were also under scrutiny.
“It is noteworthy that he is associated with various organisations, which are being thoroughly investigated. A thorough investigation and analysis is underway regarding various transactions made in these accounts by the accused,” the note read.
Verma and Aakriti, both linked by police to Mazdoor Bigul Dasta, were slapped with NSA provisions for allegedly provoking workers, triggering disorder and disturbing public order during the agitation, which began over stagnant wages and later saw arson, vandalism and stone-pelting in industrial areas.
Kabir, the Supreme Court lawyer appearing for Verma, rejected the police version outright. “The allegation is completely baseless. My client does not have Rs 1 crore in his bank account,” he said.
Kabir said Verma works as a freelance translator and has done commercial translation work for companies such as Google and Meta. “He receives payment for that work in his bank account and supports himself and his family from it. But there is no question of his monthly earnings coming anywhere close to Rs 1 crore.”
The claim, Kabir insisted, was especially suspect because police had not produced any supporting material in court. “If this was true, why has UP Police not presented any such evidence during hearings? Their earlier story about Satyam’s role in a criminal conspiracy has collapsed in court. Now, they are creating a new fictitious story of financial manipulation,” he added.
Kabir said the defence would move court against these “baseless allegations” and seek action against police officers responsible for “conducting a media trial”.
The sessions court, meanwhile, reserved its order on Verma’s bail plea. In Aakriti’s case, her lawyer Rajnish Yadav said the court reserved orders linked to FIR No. 164, while hearings in FIR Nos. 163 and 165 were adjourned after the prosecution sought time to produce papers.
The police’s action also drew protests in Delhi.
Activists under the banner of Campaign for the Release of Workers and Activists of Noida marched at Jantar Mantar against the NSA. Retired Delhi University professor Nandita Narain called the arrests illegal, while Naureen of Revolutionary Workers’ Party of India said labourers had been pushed to protest by low wages and rising living costs.
“Police are hounding a public intellectual and journalist like Satyam, who had never stepped foot in Noida, and Akriti, a meritorious student who always stood against injustice,” Narain said.
In a statement issued on Thursday, Noida police commissionerate said the allegation emerged during the probe into cases registered over the violence. Police claimed Verma transferred the funds to his other personal accounts at different times and said his links with “various organisations” were also under scrutiny.
“It is noteworthy that he is associated with various organisations, which are being thoroughly investigated. A thorough investigation and analysis is underway regarding various transactions made in these accounts by the accused,” the note read.
Verma and Aakriti, both linked by police to Mazdoor Bigul Dasta, were slapped with NSA provisions for allegedly provoking workers, triggering disorder and disturbing public order during the agitation, which began over stagnant wages and later saw arson, vandalism and stone-pelting in industrial areas.
Kabir, the Supreme Court lawyer appearing for Verma, rejected the police version outright. “The allegation is completely baseless. My client does not have Rs 1 crore in his bank account,” he said.
Kabir said Verma works as a freelance translator and has done commercial translation work for companies such as Google and Meta. “He receives payment for that work in his bank account and supports himself and his family from it. But there is no question of his monthly earnings coming anywhere close to Rs 1 crore.”
Kabir said the defence would move court against these “baseless allegations” and seek action against police officers responsible for “conducting a media trial”.
The sessions court, meanwhile, reserved its order on Verma’s bail plea. In Aakriti’s case, her lawyer Rajnish Yadav said the court reserved orders linked to FIR No. 164, while hearings in FIR Nos. 163 and 165 were adjourned after the prosecution sought time to produce papers.
The police’s action also drew protests in Delhi.
Activists under the banner of Campaign for the Release of Workers and Activists of Noida marched at Jantar Mantar against the NSA. Retired Delhi University professor Nandita Narain called the arrests illegal, while Naureen of Revolutionary Workers’ Party of India said labourers had been pushed to protest by low wages and rising living costs.
“Police are hounding a public intellectual and journalist like Satyam, who had never stepped foot in Noida, and Akriti, a meritorious student who always stood against injustice,” Narain said.
You Can Also Check: Gold Rate in Noida | Silver Rate in Noida | Bank Holidays in Noida | Public Holidays in Noida | Noida AQI | Weather in Noida | Petrol Price in Noida | Diesel Price in Noida | CNG Price in Noida | LPG Price in Noida
Comments (1)
S
ScottMost Interacted
3 days ago
What a shameless person, selling his country for money is one thing but just think about inviting violence - how many innocent wil...Read More
Reply
1
Reply
end of article
In Noida
- Man sentenced to life imprisonment for killing his co-worker for Rs 500
- LPG crisis fuels PNG shift in GB Nagar, but commercial connections hit by NOC hurdles
- 'Unhe Fortuner chahiye thi': Kin claim Noida woman was beaten, thrown off terrace over dowry; chilling details emerge
- After Twisha Sharma, another Noida woman dies by suicide over 'dowry harassment'; husband, father-in-law held
- 2 held after gunfight for robbing scrap dealer of Rs 6L
- Xu to Pari Chowk, residents flag neglect of parks & footpaths
- Greater Noida to add 2 substations to meet rising power demand
Featured In City
- Why Are Tamil Nadu Farmers Abandoning Millets Despite Growing Demand?
- Three vehicles catch fire, no deaths reported
- Two die in separate fatal crashes
- DSEU opens UG admissions for 2026–27; registrations begin
- Kolkata sweats as real-feel temp shoots up to 52°C, humidity at 88%
- Minister warns employees not to participate in bus strike
- Current CJI penned 2021 ruling on speedy trial right
Photostories
- World's most culturally important rivers, and what they have in store for travellers
- OTT releases (May 18 to May 24): ‘Desi Bling’, ‘Jack Ryan’, ‘System’, ‘Ladies First’ lead the lineup
- Confused about how to remove the evil eye? Here are some remedies to get rid of negative vibes
- ‘Queer Eye’ to Rehab Addict: Slurs, Low ratings and final chapters, every major reality TV show cancelled in 2026
- 5 Unlucky Plants You Should Remove from Your Home to Attract Good Luck
- Indian kitchen decor that secretly make homes healthier
- 5 eye-catching sparrow birds every nature lover should know
- 8 GI-tagged Indian mangoes and what makes them special
- How to actually deal with toxic in-laws without losing your mind
- 5 most alluring grey snakes in the world
Videos
09:09 'Time Has Come': Suvendu's 'Deportation' Warning In Bhabanipur, Vows Action Over Kolkata Violence04:43 Delhi High Court Denies Interim Relief To Vinesh Phogat, Wrestler Barred From Asian Games Trials- “India Is Now Naxal-Free”: Home Minister Amit Shah Declares End Of Maoist Insurgency From Bastar
05:00 'I Am Trapped': Twisha Sharma's Last Message Before 'Dowry Death' In Bhopal | Headlines@906:36 'Demanded Fortuner Car, Rs 50 Lakh': Family Claims Noida Woman Was Thrown Off Terrace Over Dowry04:46 First Look Of India’s Bullet Train Unveiled As Mumbai-Ahmedabad Corridor Nears 2027 Launch04:47 Bengal Govt Forms Panels To Probe Corruption, Atrocities Against Women During TMC Regime03:51 ‘Secular, Socialist, Democratic, Lazy’: Inside India’s Viral Cockroach Janta Party03:22 Suvendu Adhikari Govt Ends Religion-Based Schemes In West Bengal, Scraps State OBC List
Hot Picks
Top Trends
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media