MEERUT: An FIR under IPC section 304-A -- causing death due to negligence -- has been lodged against officials of a private construction firm involved in the Delhi-Dehradun expressway works and the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) in
Baghpat after two children drowned in an open pit dug up for the construction activities on July 29, said police on Sunday.
The police action came following an investigation into the incident and based on the report submitted by additional district magistrate Pankaj Verma. The report findings mentioned that "large pits have been dug for highway construction, which got filled up with rainwater and were left unattended with no warning boards or signage." ASP (Baghpat), Manish Mishra, said on Sunday, "A case was registered based on a complaint filed by a security guard of the under-construction e-way. Investigation has started. No arrest has been made so far." On July 29, Lavish (9) and Chand (7) fell into the open rainwater-filled pit near Lohra village under Baraut police limits and drowned.
Elsewhere in UP, several children have died in the past month due to drowning in such pits, particularly in Budaun district, for construction works of the Meerut-Prayagraj Ganga e-way.
Recently, the NHRC had issued notices to UP chief secretary, CEO of UPEIDA and Budaun DM seeking an "action taken" report in the matter.
Follow the latest election results 2026, live updates, winner lists, constituency-wise results, party-wise trends and full coverage for
Tamil Nadu election results,
West Bengal election results,
Kerala election results,
Assam election results and
Puducherry election results results on Times of India.
Rahul Singh, a principal correspondent, is based in Meerut. A gra...
Read MoreRahul Singh, a principal correspondent, is based in Meerut. A graduate of Journalism and Law, he extensively covers court judgements and crime and has a penchant for off-beat human interest stories.
Read Less
Start a Conversation
Post comment