Ex-warden alleges harassment by CDPO, says police not registering her complaint
Belagavi: A 30-year-old Dalit woman who resigned as warden of a govt-run working women's hostel under the women and child welfare department has alleged sexual harassment and intimidation by a senior official and claimed police are yet to register her complaint.Vidyavathi, appointed on contract in Aug 2024, has accused child development project officer (CDPO) KV Ramamurthy of repeated harassment during her tenure.
In her complaint, she alleged that the officer demanded a monthly commission of Rs 10,000 from her salary and harassed her when she refused. "He asked me to remain in the office until late evening if I did not comply. He also asked me to accompany him on a long drive to Goa, bring alcohol, and repeatedly called me after work hours using obscene language and sending inappropriate messages," she alleged.She further claimed he threatened to terminate her employment if she did not cooperate and made caste-based remarks. The alleged harassment continued for months and forced her to resign, she said.Vidyavathi said she approached women and child development minister Laxmi Hebbalkar. "I met the minister and informed her about the harassment, but no action was taken," she alleged.She submitted a complaint in the last week of Nov 2025 to the Directorate of Civil Rights Enforcement in Belagavi when Ravindra Gadadi was SP, but claimed it was not registered due to a preliminary inquiry. After Gadadi's transfer in Dec 2025, she filed another complaint on Jan 16 with SP Shrinath Joshi. She alleged that even after more than a month, no FIR had been registered.SP Joshi said that the matter is under preliminary verification. He said the document submitted was a petition, not a formal complaint, and lacked an electronic signature required for registering an FIR.Rejecting this, Vidyavathi said officials were misleading the public. "I want my complaint to be registered and investigated. I have evidence of harassment. If the police seize our mobile phones and examine the messages, the truth will come out," she said. "The alleged sexual harassment case involving a Scheduled Caste woman in the women and child welfare department is being taken very seriously. A thorough inquiry will be conducted, and strict action will be taken against those found guilty. I will also personally speak with the survivor," said Laxmi Hebbalkar, minister for women and child welfare department.
In her complaint, she alleged that the officer demanded a monthly commission of Rs 10,000 from her salary and harassed her when she refused. "He asked me to remain in the office until late evening if I did not comply. He also asked me to accompany him on a long drive to Goa, bring alcohol, and repeatedly called me after work hours using obscene language and sending inappropriate messages," she alleged.She further claimed he threatened to terminate her employment if she did not cooperate and made caste-based remarks. The alleged harassment continued for months and forced her to resign, she said.Vidyavathi said she approached women and child development minister Laxmi Hebbalkar. "I met the minister and informed her about the harassment, but no action was taken," she alleged.She submitted a complaint in the last week of Nov 2025 to the Directorate of Civil Rights Enforcement in Belagavi when Ravindra Gadadi was SP, but claimed it was not registered due to a preliminary inquiry. After Gadadi's transfer in Dec 2025, she filed another complaint on Jan 16 with SP Shrinath Joshi. She alleged that even after more than a month, no FIR had been registered.SP Joshi said that the matter is under preliminary verification. He said the document submitted was a petition, not a formal complaint, and lacked an electronic signature required for registering an FIR.Rejecting this, Vidyavathi said officials were misleading the public. "I want my complaint to be registered and investigated. I have evidence of harassment. If the police seize our mobile phones and examine the messages, the truth will come out," she said. "The alleged sexual harassment case involving a Scheduled Caste woman in the women and child welfare department is being taken very seriously. A thorough inquiry will be conducted, and strict action will be taken against those found guilty. I will also personally speak with the survivor," said Laxmi Hebbalkar, minister for women and child welfare department.
Popular from City
- Earthquake jolts Kolkata, panic among residents
- Watch: Strong earthquake rattles Kolkata, residents flee homes, offices in panic
- 5 months, 17 months, and finally freedom: Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia cleared in Delhi excise case
- Delhi excise policy case: Ex-Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal, former dy CM Manish Sisodia acquitted
- Haryana govt official jumps to death from 6th floor of civil secretariat in Chandigarh; workplace stress angle probed
end of article
Trending Stories
- T20 World Cup Live: Lifeline for Pakistan as England beat NZ to top Super 8 group
- England national cricket team vs New Zealand national cricket team match Live Scorecard: NZ win toss, opt to bat in Colombo
- India GDP Q3 Growth Data 2026 Live Updates: First GDP data under new series to be released today
- Earthquake jolts Kolkata, panic among residents
- CBSE Class 10 Science Paper 2026 PDF Now Available: Download and Analyze
- Why is stock market down today? Nifty50 falls 317 points, BSE Sensex crashes 961 points to close at 81,287- top reasons
08:03 Kejriwal, Sisodia Discharged: Delhi court finds no evidence of conspiracy; CBI plans to appeal
Featured in city
- Delhi launches Rs 160-crore underground cabling project in Chandni Chowk
- Watch: Strong earthquake rattles Kolkata, residents flee homes, offices in panic
- Bengaluru–Hyderabad rail journey set to get faster from next month
- FIR against 6 directors of 2 realty firms for s 5cr fraud in Gurgaon
- Delhi’s 61-km road along with Najafgarh drain corridor to ease traffic and boost connectivity
- A ‘helping’ hand in fake ED raid at retired employer's house and how plot unravelled
Photostories
- Ditch the pastel winds: What Vijay Deverakonda's and Rashmika Mandanna's wedding outfits taught us
- 6 Indian billionaires who own private residence worth crores in Lutyens’ Bungalow Zone, Delhi
- From red anarkali to yellow suit: Rashmika Mandanna’s newlywed glow steals the spotlight
- 10 Bihari Sattu dishes that are good for gut health and overall nutrition
- One woman dies every 8 minutes in India from cervical cancer: Oncologist shares 5 critical steps to prevent it
- Deepika Padukone to Aishwarya Rai: Bollywood stars who turned down Hollywood projects
- From Bengal’s Mukut to Marathi Mundavalya:5 stunning bridal headgears from different states
- 8 healthy daily habits to keep your heart strong and prevent heart disease, says cardiologist
- Top 7 muscle car names that defined an era
- Regional Holi foods from different parts of India that no one talks about
Videos
03:50 Experts Answer Who Is Really Running Pakistan’s Afghan Policy?03:33 Amid Rising Violence, Afghanistan Urges Pakistan For Talks To Prevent Prolonged Conflict03:38 “Deep Concern”: China Alarms As Pakistan-Afghanistan Clash Explodes After Taliban Strike30:56 Kejriwal Gets Clean Chit In Delhi Liquor Policy Case, Court Tears Into CBI Over Lack Of Evidence04:58 Pakistan Army Blames India Again For 'Open War' Against Afghanistan, Calls Taliban Delhi’s Proxy04:41 Canada PM Mark Carney Lands In India, Aims For Fresh Push To Reset Strained Bilateral Ties04:53 Pakistan in Open War With Afghanistan, But Does Islamabad Have the Military Muscle?03:13 "If BJP Wins Over 10 Seats...": Kejriwal Throws Open Challenge After Court Relief04:12 Why Netanyahu’s Reference to Indian Soldiers In Battle Of Haifa Sparks Criticism in Turkey
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment