• News
  • World News
  • UK News
  • 60-year-old UK man kept his dead mother in a freezer and collected her benefits for nearly two years

60-year-old UK man kept his dead mother in a freezer and collected her benefits for nearly two years

60-year-old UK man kept his dead mother in a freezer and collected her benefits for nearly two years
In a shocking turn of events, a man from Porthcawl has confessed to concealing his elderly mother’s remains in a chest freezer for nearly two years, all while he collected her benefits. Christopher Phillips faced charges of preventing lawful burial and committing fraud. The tragic discovery was made by authorities during a welfare check initiated by her worried doctor.
A man from Porthcawl in Wales has pleaded guilty to storing his mother's body in a chest freezer at her home while continuing to collect her government benefits as though she were still alive.Christopher Phillips, aged 60, appeared at Cardiff Crown Court on Thursday and admitted three offences. The first was preventing the lawful and decent burial of his mother Sylvia Phillips, who was 89 years old. The other two were fraud charges for failing to notify the Department for Work and Pensions and Bridgend council of her death.Sylvia Phillips is believed to have died sometime during 2023. Her body was not discovered until February this year when officers from South Wales Police visited the property on Poplar Crescent in Porthcawl. They had been asked to carry out a welfare check after her GP grew concerned and raised the alarm.What they found inside the house led directly to the court proceedings that concluded with Phillips entering his guilty pleas this week.A separate inquest heard that a pathologist was unable to establish the exact cause of death and investigations into that question are still continuing. The court was not told how long the body had been in the freezer before police found it but given that she died in 2023 and was discovered in early 2026 the period spans close to two years.
Judge Tracey Lloyd-Clarke told Phillips in court that he had admitted extremely serious offences. He is due to be sentenced on 2 June at Cardiff Crown Court.The case raises uncomfortable questions about how long a vulnerable elderly person can go unnoticed after death when a family member controls access to information about them. Sylvia Phillips had a GP who eventually prompted the welfare check but the gap between her death and its discovery was significant.Cases of this nature often involve financial motivation alongside other factors and the fraud charges here reflect exactly that dimension of the situation. Sentencing is expected to take place in full on 2 June.


author
About the AuthorTOI World Desk

At TOI World Desk, our dedicated team of seasoned journalists and passionate writers tirelessly sifts through the vast tapestry of global events to bring you the latest news and diverse perspectives round the clock. With an unwavering commitment to accuracy, depth, and timeliness, we strive to keep you informed about the ever-evolving world, delivering a nuanced understanding of international affairs to our readers. Join us on a journey across continents as we unravel the stories that shape our interconnected world.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media