This story is from January 13, 2026
$20m gold heist in Canada: One arrested in Toronto, another suspect 'believed to be in India'; what is Project 24K?
A man on Monday charged and arrested from Toronto in connection with Project 24K, an investigation into the theft of more than $20 million in gold bars in 2023, the largest in Canadian history, as confirmed by Peel Police.
So far, 10 people have been charged or are being sought by investigators, with more than 21 charges laid. Two suspects are still at large, including one against whom an extradition request has been issued.
Peel Regional Police arrested 43-year-old Arsalan Chaudhary after he arrived in Toronto on a flight from Dubai. While one of the key suspects, Simran Preet Panesar, a 33-year-old Brampton man and former Air Canada employee, is believed to be in India, police said.
Arsalan Chaudhary has been charged with theft over $5,000, two counts of possession of property obtained by crime, and conspiracy to commit an indictable offence.
He was held in custody and is scheduled to appear for a bail hearing on Wednesday.
The arrest is part of the investigation into what police have described as “the largest gold heist in Canadian history,” involving gold and cash worth more than $20 million.
Seven other suspects have already been arrested in connection with the case.
Peel police chief Nishan Duraiappah said the arrest highlights the impact of international cooperation in tackling organised crime.
“Let it be known: no matter where you try to run or hide, we will find you,” Duraiappah said.
The heist took place on April 17, 2023, after a flight arriving from Zurich, Switzerland landed at Pearson airport. The aircraft was carrying a cargo shipment containing 400 kilograms of gold, valued at over $20 million at the time, along with about $2.5 million in foreign currency. The cargo was reported missing the following day.
Police say two groups were involved, Air Canada employees allegedly helped facilitate the theft, while a group of outsiders handled the operation outside the airport. Chaudhary is believed to be part of the latter group.
“Once the gold was removed from Air Canada cargo, he helped, we believe, facilitate the sale and get it ultimately out of Canada,” investigator Mavity said.
According to the Crown’s statement of allegations, obtained by CBC’s The Fifth Estate and not yet tested in court, Chaudhary was “the most involved in the planning of the theft.” The document also alleges he helped organise another suspect’s flight to the United States and played a role in other post-offence activities.
One suspect referred to him as the heist’s “top dog,” the document said.
Following the incident, police raided an apartment where Chaudhary had been living. They seized $154,000 in Canadian cash, multiple cellphones and SIM cards, and two handwritten lists detailing the allocation of funds toward various assets totalling $9 million.
The allegations further state that on the day of the heist, Chaudhary exchanged calls or messages with two other suspects 772 times.
Peel police said efforts are ongoing to arrest two remaining suspects, including Panesar.
“We actually have an extradition order that we swore to and was served on the Indian government late last year, requesting his extradition. We’re still waiting for that,” a police inspector said.
Investigators are also searching for Prasath Paramalingam, a 36-year-old Brampton man who is the subject of a bench warrant after failing to appear in court on August 19, 2024.
“We’re not entirely sure where he is, but we’re also looking for him as well,” Mavity said.
Peel Regional Police arrested 43-year-old Arsalan Chaudhary after he arrived in Toronto on a flight from Dubai. While one of the key suspects, Simran Preet Panesar, a 33-year-old Brampton man and former Air Canada employee, is believed to be in India, police said.
Arsalan Chaudhary has been charged with theft over $5,000, two counts of possession of property obtained by crime, and conspiracy to commit an indictable offence.
He was held in custody and is scheduled to appear for a bail hearing on Wednesday.
'Largest gold heist in Canadian history'
Seven other suspects have already been arrested in connection with the case.
Peel police chief Nishan Duraiappah said the arrest highlights the impact of international cooperation in tackling organised crime.
“Let it be known: no matter where you try to run or hide, we will find you,” Duraiappah said.
What is the case?
The heist took place on April 17, 2023, after a flight arriving from Zurich, Switzerland landed at Pearson airport. The aircraft was carrying a cargo shipment containing 400 kilograms of gold, valued at over $20 million at the time, along with about $2.5 million in foreign currency. The cargo was reported missing the following day.
Police say two groups were involved, Air Canada employees allegedly helped facilitate the theft, while a group of outsiders handled the operation outside the airport. Chaudhary is believed to be part of the latter group.
“Once the gold was removed from Air Canada cargo, he helped, we believe, facilitate the sale and get it ultimately out of Canada,” investigator Mavity said.
Allegations against Chaudhary
According to the Crown’s statement of allegations, obtained by CBC’s The Fifth Estate and not yet tested in court, Chaudhary was “the most involved in the planning of the theft.” The document also alleges he helped organise another suspect’s flight to the United States and played a role in other post-offence activities.
One suspect referred to him as the heist’s “top dog,” the document said.
Following the incident, police raided an apartment where Chaudhary had been living. They seized $154,000 in Canadian cash, multiple cellphones and SIM cards, and two handwritten lists detailing the allocation of funds toward various assets totalling $9 million.
The allegations further state that on the day of the heist, Chaudhary exchanged calls or messages with two other suspects 772 times.
Hunt continues for remaining suspects
Peel police said efforts are ongoing to arrest two remaining suspects, including Panesar.
“We actually have an extradition order that we swore to and was served on the Indian government late last year, requesting his extradition. We’re still waiting for that,” a police inspector said.
Investigators are also searching for Prasath Paramalingam, a 36-year-old Brampton man who is the subject of a bench warrant after failing to appear in court on August 19, 2024.
“We’re not entirely sure where he is, but we’re also looking for him as well,” Mavity said.
Comments (33)
C
Clint EastwoodMost Interacted
123 days ago
4 killing in UP done by Ram bhakts and 5 people arrested in UK and Canada, also Ram bhakts. Sanatan is the fastest growing religio...Read More
4 Replies
7
21
Reply
Popular from World
- Meet Zhou Qunfei: Once she worked in a glass factory, now she runs a $26 billion company and sits alongside Elon Musk and Tim Cook at China’s state dinner
- Buckingham Palace hosts historic meeting between King Charles and New Zealand’s Māori Queen
- Defence boost for Pakistan: PKR 100 billion military hike on cards in IMF-backed budget
- 50 Green Card holders identified to be deported as US starts re-vetting older cases
- Lost beneath Sudan’s sands: Scientists discover 6,000-year-old massive monuments from a forgotten civilisation
end of article
Trending Stories
- KKR vs GT Live: Green and Raghuvanshi keep Gujarat under heavy pressure
- Former tennis star Flavia Pennetta raises concerns over World No1 Jannik Sinner’s anxiety attack during Italian Open semifinal
03:00 NEET-UG 2026 Paper Leak Case: CBI arrests NTA expert in leak; Delhi court weighs 14-day custody- Andhra Pradesh govt to give Rs 30,000 for 3rd child, Rs 40,000 for 4th
- Devotees go for self-regulation, conform to govt’s new namaz guidelines across Kolkata mosques
- 'They will take out a gun': Russia's Lavrov warns journalist on phone during Delhi presser - watch
- TMC leader Jyotipriya Mallick’s daughter Priyadarshini Mallick removed as WBCHSE secretary
Featured in world
- Snorkeling at Pearl Harbor, Philadelphia concert date with girlfriend at $50,000 suite: Kash Patel unfazed by new controversies
- Israel says Hamas military chief, involved in planning October 7 attacks, killed in Gaza
- King Charles ‘shocked and saddened’ as British soldier dies after falling from horse
- New USCIS signature rule for H-1B, Green Card: Dos and don'ts for your next immigration application
- Maldives scuba tragedy: Diver dies in search of five Italian tourists who drowned in underwater cave
- Video: 8 killed, over 20 injured as freight train crashes into bus in Bangkok
Photostories
- 10 birds with hilariously perverted names and where travellers can find them
- 9 junk food swaps that can make your diet healthier
- It’s not just salt anymore: Why your stressful 10-hour workday could be pushing your blood pressure higher
- Cannes 2026 Day 4: John Travolta’s surprise win, Léa Seydoux’s magic, and unmissable red carpet glam!
- Travellers beware: 5 dirtiest things in a hotel room you didn't know about
- How to grow jasmine that flowers year-round in Indian weather: 5 mindful tips for beginners
- Rice flour vs wheat flour: Which one is actually easier on the stomach?
- 8 vegetarian foods Indians used before protein powder existed
- KL Rahul’s Bandra home: Inside his ₹20 crore ultra-luxury living space
- 5 adorable pet dog breeds that grow tall and large
Videos
08:01 Trump’s Refusal to Commit to Taiwan’s Defense Rattles Taiwan; ‘Thanks For Support But We…’06:01 ‘Erasing History?’ Jewish Leaders Torch Zohran Mamdani Over Viral Israel Post | WATCH09:24 'Cooperate With Us Or...': Iran To Collect Fees For Crossing Strait Of Hormuz? Shock Reveal16:46 Russian Su-35 'Likely' Downed Ukrainian F-16 Over Sumy: Reports10:32 Trump Faces Backlash After Lashing Out At Reporter Over Iran War Question13:33 Iran’s Tiny Ghadir-Class Submarines Are Menacing U.S. Carriers in Hormuz | WATCH09:30 ‘NOW NO MORE JUST DEFENCE...’: Big Iran-UAE Showdown, Direct Clash Anytime? Chilling Declaration09:32 Hezbollah Unleashes Massive Firestorm On IDF, Claims Over 30 Attacks In One Day09:30 Iran Puts €50 Mn Bounty On Trump? Alarm In US Over Iranian Lawmaker’s Assassination Call
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media