Was Putin at residence during 'drone attack'? Kremlin responds; Ukraine says no 'plausible evidence'
Russia hardens stance after alleged drone attack on Putin residence; Ukraine denies claim
Russia on Tuesday said its position on any potential peace deal with Ukraine would toughen following the alleged Ukrainian drone attack on a Vladimir Putin's residence in the Novgorod region, a claim Kyiv has firmly rejected.
Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said the alleged attack was aimed at derailing negotiations, adding that Moscow had taken note of Ukraine’s denial. He also accused Western media of “playing along” with Kyiv’s version of events.
“This terrorist act was intended to derail the negotiation process,” Peskov told reporters, adding that the diplomatic fallout would be a tougher negotiating stance for the Russian Federation.
He said the Russian military was aware of how and when to respond.
Peskov said Zelenskyy was denying the incident and accused sections of the Western media of echoing Kyiv’s line by suggesting that no such attack had taken place, calling such claims “completely insane”.
He declined to disclose Putin’s whereabouts at the time of the alleged attack, arguing that in the current situation such information should not be made public.
Asked whether Russia had physical evidence of the drone strike, Peskov said air defences had intercepted the drones, and that questions related to wreckage should be addressed by the defence ministry.
Ukraine, meanwhile, said Russia had provided no evidence to support its allegation. Ukrainian foreign minister Andriy Sybiga said Moscow had failed to produce any “plausible evidence” for what he called a fabricated claim.
“Almost a day passed and Russia still hasn’t provided any plausible evidence to its accusations of Ukraine’s alleged ‘attack on Putin’s residence'. And they won’t. Because there’s none. No such attack happened,” Sybiga said in a post on X.
The competing claims added to already heightened tensions in the nearly three-year-old conflict, with Moscow signalling a tougher diplomatic line and Kyiv dismissing the accusation as baseless.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed concern over reports that the residence of Putin had been targeted and called for restraint and a renewed focus on diplomacy.
In a post on X, PM Modi said he was 'deeply concerned' by the reports and stressed that diplomatic engagement remained the best way forward. "Deeply concerned by reports of the targeting of the residence of the President of the Russian Federation. Ongoing diplomatic efforts offer the most viable path toward ending hostilities and achieving peace. We urge all concerned to remain focused on these efforts and to avoid any actions that could undermine them," he said.
Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said the alleged attack was aimed at derailing negotiations, adding that Moscow had taken note of Ukraine’s denial. He also accused Western media of “playing along” with Kyiv’s version of events.
“This terrorist act was intended to derail the negotiation process,” Peskov told reporters, adding that the diplomatic fallout would be a tougher negotiating stance for the Russian Federation.
He said the Russian military was aware of how and when to respond.
Peskov said Zelenskyy was denying the incident and accused sections of the Western media of echoing Kyiv’s line by suggesting that no such attack had taken place, calling such claims “completely insane”.
He declined to disclose Putin’s whereabouts at the time of the alleged attack, arguing that in the current situation such information should not be made public.
Ukraine, meanwhile, said Russia had provided no evidence to support its allegation. Ukrainian foreign minister Andriy Sybiga said Moscow had failed to produce any “plausible evidence” for what he called a fabricated claim.
“Almost a day passed and Russia still hasn’t provided any plausible evidence to its accusations of Ukraine’s alleged ‘attack on Putin’s residence'. And they won’t. Because there’s none. No such attack happened,” Sybiga said in a post on X.
The competing claims added to already heightened tensions in the nearly three-year-old conflict, with Moscow signalling a tougher diplomatic line and Kyiv dismissing the accusation as baseless.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed concern over reports that the residence of Putin had been targeted and called for restraint and a renewed focus on diplomacy.
In a post on X, PM Modi said he was 'deeply concerned' by the reports and stressed that diplomatic engagement remained the best way forward. "Deeply concerned by reports of the targeting of the residence of the President of the Russian Federation. Ongoing diplomatic efforts offer the most viable path toward ending hostilities and achieving peace. We urge all concerned to remain focused on these efforts and to avoid any actions that could undermine them," he said.
Top Comment
R
Rajranbir
5 days ago
It is a Shame Russia is not even able to attempt eliminating Zelensky for so long while Ukraine easily and successfully attacked Putinâ s residency by Drone.Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- 'Don't play games with Trump': State department warns Iran in Persian post; calls US Prez 'man of action'
- Trump flips Monroe into Donroe: How US plans to reshape the Western Hemisphere — explained
- Delcy Rodriguez sworn in as Venezuela’s interim president following Maduro’s ouster
- Bangladesh crisis: Hindu scribe shot in head, throat slit; latest in spate of minority attacks
- 'I am still president': Venezuela's Maduro pleads not guilty in US court; first appearance after capture
end of article
Trending Stories
- Justin Rose’s net worth: Major wins, Olympic gold, and the making of a $60 million empire
- Nelly Korda’s net worth: The rise of golf’s most consistent and powerful star
- Cardi B publicly defends Stefon Diggs as allegations resurface: “Not once has that woman said anything to me”
- Mariano Rivera and Clara Rivera combined net worth: Yankees legacy, philanthropy, and long-term wealth
- Odell Beckham Jr’s rumored ex Kim Kardashian and the hush-hush couple’s brief dating history
- Puka Nacua car collection: One new car gift, one BMW arrest, and why his name keeps coming up
- Andhra Pradesh: Massive gas leak at ONGC well in Konaseema triggers fire; villagers in panic
Featured in world
- Trump signs 'Make Iran Great Again' hat for Republican who hopes 2026 will be the year that...
- ‘Have to nurse the country’: Trump rules out Venezuela election in next 30 days; denies US at war
- 'Can't handle heat': Vivek Ramaswamy mocked by rival for deleting apps to avoid racism
- $400,000 in hours: Trader hits jackpot betting on Maduro's downfall – here's how they did it
- 'It’s so stupid it hurts': Candace Owens blasts CIA narrative after Charlie Kirk assassination sparks fresh public outrage
- IShowSpeed explains why he travels the world instead of streaming from home
Photostories
- Birthday special: Best songs of Diljit Dosanjh
- AR Rahman birthday special: From 'Chaiyya Chaiyya' to 'Chaka Chak' — his best Bollywood songs
- 5 powerful money lessons from Morgan Housel’s bestselling book 'The Psychology of Money'
- Chef Sanjeev Kapoor shares comforting flavours of Gujarat that are worth trying this winter
- Deepika Padukone birthday special: From Denmark roots to Bollywood stardom
- 4 foods that may help slow down ageing
- Heart health: The big 3 heart numbers to know, as per Harvard experts
- 7 legendary Indian scientists and their contributions
- How to make Paneer Bread Pakoda for evening snacking
- 5 foods that steadily cause hair loss without you knowing about it
Videos
03:48 ‘Prisoner Of War’: Maduro Breaks Silence After US Capture, Wife Appears Bruised In 1st Court Hearing09:48 ‘Kidnapped Our President!’: Venezuelan Envoy Blasts ‘Bully’ Trump At Urgent UNSC Meeting06:37 Anti-Trump Protests Erupt From Asia To Europe, Global Outrage Explodes; ‘US Has Habit Of…’10:56 Russia’s Big Attack On US Over Maduro’s Capture At UNSC | Venezuela Crisis11:15 Clashes In New York As Pro-Maduro Protests Erupt Outside Court; Venezuelan Leader Says 'Not Guilty'13:13 US, Colombia Spar At UNSC Over Trump’s ‘Illegal Capture’ Of Maduro15:35 EU Officials Get Frustrated As Reporters Grill Over Trump's Venezuela Strike05:55 ‘Prince Of Cocaine’ Maduro’s Son At Heart Of Venezuela’s Massive Drug Trafficking To US? Big Reveal14:00 'If You BOMB...': Maduro's Ally DARES Trump; Petro FIRES Intel Officers, Deploys 5k Troops At Border
Up Next