Russia-Ukraine war: Moscow says decoded drone data shows presidential residence was target, to share findings with US
Russia said on Thursday it had recovered and decoded data from a Ukrainian drone shot down earlier this week, which it claimed showed the drone was targeting a Russian presidential residence.
Moscow said it would share the relevant information with the United States.
"Decryption of routing data revealed that the final target of the Ukrainian drone attack on December 29, 2025, was a facility at the Russian Presidential Residence in the Novgorod region. These materials will be transferred to the American side through the established channels," Russia's defence ministry said through a post on Telegram.
The CIA earlier rejected Moscow’s claim about the alleged attack, US officials said. They added that CIA Director John Ratcliffe briefed US President Donald Trump on the assessment on Wednesday.
Moscow on Monday accused Kyiv of attempting to attack a residence of President Vladimir Putin in Russia’s northern Novgorod region using 91 long-range drones. It said the incident would be taken into account while reviewing its negotiating position in ongoing US-backed talks to end the Ukraine war.
Trump initially voiced sympathy for Russia’s claim, telling reporters on Monday that Putin had informed him of the alleged incident and that he was “very angry” about it. By Wednesday, however, Trump appeared more sceptical, sharing on social media a New York Post editorial accusing Russia of obstructing peace efforts in Ukraine.
Ukraine has denied carrying out any such attack, calling the accusation part of a Russian disinformation campaign aimed at driving a wedge between Kyiv and Washington following a weekend meeting between Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.
Zelenskyy called Russia's claim “a complete fabrication intended to justify additional attacks against Ukraine, including Kyiv, as well as Russia's own refusal to take necessary steps to end the war.”
The episode followed shortly after Trump hosted Zelenskyy at his private Mar-a-Lago club in Florida. While both sides struck a positive tone after the meeting, little headway was made on key issues, including security guarantees for Ukraine and Russia’s demand that Kyiv cede territory.
Trump’s special envoy, Steve Witkoff, said on Wednesday that he and other senior officials had spoken with Ukraine’s defence minister Rustem Umerov and several European national security officials as part of efforts to end the war.
"Decryption of routing data revealed that the final target of the Ukrainian drone attack on December 29, 2025, was a facility at the Russian Presidential Residence in the Novgorod region. These materials will be transferred to the American side through the established channels," Russia's defence ministry said through a post on Telegram.
The CIA earlier rejected Moscow’s claim about the alleged attack, US officials said. They added that CIA Director John Ratcliffe briefed US President Donald Trump on the assessment on Wednesday.
Moscow on Monday accused Kyiv of attempting to attack a residence of President Vladimir Putin in Russia’s northern Novgorod region using 91 long-range drones. It said the incident would be taken into account while reviewing its negotiating position in ongoing US-backed talks to end the Ukraine war.
Trump initially voiced sympathy for Russia’s claim, telling reporters on Monday that Putin had informed him of the alleged incident and that he was “very angry” about it. By Wednesday, however, Trump appeared more sceptical, sharing on social media a New York Post editorial accusing Russia of obstructing peace efforts in Ukraine.
Zelenskyy called Russia's claim “a complete fabrication intended to justify additional attacks against Ukraine, including Kyiv, as well as Russia's own refusal to take necessary steps to end the war.”
The episode followed shortly after Trump hosted Zelenskyy at his private Mar-a-Lago club in Florida. While both sides struck a positive tone after the meeting, little headway was made on key issues, including security guarantees for Ukraine and Russia’s demand that Kyiv cede territory.
Trump’s special envoy, Steve Witkoff, said on Wednesday that he and other senior officials had spoken with Ukraine’s defence minister Rustem Umerov and several European national security officials as part of efforts to end the war.
Top Comment
U
User Veemboor
6 days ago
I am more or less convinced that the attack by UAVs are managed by an elite corp from EU/NATO nations. That corps are answerable only to their bosses in their countries. Zelensky and his army do the fighting on land. The UAV corps or their bosses may not be updating Zelensky of their doings. It may reach Zelensky late. For the corps to keep their target secret it would be better if only the persons involved are aware of it. Their bosses in EU/NATO countries may be informing Zelensky after the mission has taken place. Whether the drones are launched from the Ukraine bases or some place of EU countries' border touching Ukraine.Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- What if Putin imitates Trump and tries a 'Maduro' on Zelenskyy?
- US warplanes and elite units have been landing in Britain since the weekend
- 'Will visit your neighbors, office': US reminds new citizenship applicants that this 'old' background check is back
- ‘Dream Military’: Trump proposes $1.5 trillion defence budget for 2027, up from $1 trillion; links increase to tariff income
- Oil tanker row: Moscow condemns US seizure of Russian-flagged vessel; cites violation of maritime law
end of article
Trending Stories
- Forever layoff: A rising trend turning workplaces into waiting rooms
- ‘I sit for 8 hours and pretend to work at the office,’ shares employee: Is productivity now a workplace performance?
- JEE Main 2026 city intimation slip for Session 1 released at NTA website: Direct link to download here
10:22 Caught on cam: US immigration officer shoots woman at point-blank range in Minneapolis - how it unfolded07:12 500% tariffs ahead for India & China? Trump clears Russia sanctions bill; what it means- Schoolgirl gangraped in Kanpur: YouTuber arrested, sub-inspector absconding; DCP removed for distortion of facts
- Who was Agnivesh Agarwal? Anil Agarwal’s son & Vedanta Group director passes away at 49; PM Modi offers condolences
Featured in world
- Dubai to plant 20,000 trees across the city to mark 20 years of Sheikh Mohammed’s leadership
- Gen Z uprising in Pakistan? PhD student's article challenges those in power — why it was taken down
10:22 'A writer and poet': Who was Renee Nicole Good? 37-year-old shot dead by ICE agent- Saudi Arabia to fully open capital market to global investors from February
- Will Smith, Hemsworth, Jada, Zac Efron: Who’s bringing Hollywood to Dubai?
- Donald Trump's Greenland obsession: Why the icy island is back in headlines – in pictures
Photostories
- From 'KGF: Chapter 1' to 'Raja Huli': Must-watch Yash movies before 'Toxic' releases
- From Goblin Shark to Glass Frog: 8 real-life animals that seem completely unreal
- 10 leaves used for serving or cooking food across India
- From high-end car collection to a lavish house: Dipika Kakar’s luxurious life and net worth
- Aneet Padda, Ahaan Panday to Pratibha Ranta: Bollywood’s emerging talent lines up for a breakthrough in 2026
- 'Toxic' star Yash birthday special: Lesser-known facts about 40 year old Rocking Star
- Donald Trump's Greenland obsession: Why the icy island is back in headlines – in pictures
- How to make high-protein Beetroot Paneer Dosa for breakfast
- How to grow spinach in winter
- Akshay Kumar–Priyadarshan to Shahid Kapoor–Vishal Bhardwaj: Why 2026 is all about Bollywood’s trusted collaborations
Videos
- UAE-backed Yemen Militia Leader Flees Yemen, Takes Refuge In Abu Dhabi As Saudi Hardens Stance
08:55 'WE WANT INDEPENDENCE': Greenland Residents Respond To Trump Invasion Plan As Europe Panics12:48 US Military Admits 7 Elite Delta Force Soldiers Were Injured During Maduro Raid | DETAILS- ‘Who Will Defend You?’ Putin Taunts Europe’s Reliance On US In Nuclear War Scenario
- US President Trump Invites Marxist Leader Petro To White House After Colombia War Threat
07:30 Trump Pulls U.S. Out of 66 Global Bodies, Slams UN Groups As ‘Woke’ & Anti-American09:30 Putin's Bombshell Offer To US On Venezuela Revealed; Ukraine Link Out, Zelensky To Meet Maduro Fate?06:11 'We Don't Belong To Trump': Venezuela Rises Against 'Colonial' US: Caracas Erupts For Maduro Return08:24 Hegseth Grilled On Maduro Abduction; War Secy Loses Cool, Attacks CNN Reporter In Tense Exchange
Up Next