Tom Hardy has decided not to take part in a grappling contest against UFC lightweight contender Arman Tsarukyan. The news surfaced on social media on Saturday, after a screenshot of Hardy’s private message began circulating online. The message explained why the Hollywood actor said no to the offer.
The proposed match was planned for December 30, 2025, but Hardy made it clear that his work schedule would not allow him to compete. The exchange was shared by combat sports page Hype Fighting and quickly caught attention across MMA and film circles.
Tom Hardy explains why he declined Arman Tsarukyan’s grappling offer
The screenshot, shared online by Hype Fighting, showed a message sent to Tom Hardy by Armand Martirosyan, the CEO of the promotion.
While some details were hidden, Hardy’s response was visible and direct. Hardy thanked the organizers for what he called a “kind” offer. He also appeared surprised by the money involved.
In his message, Hardy said the payment was higher than what many professional Brazilian jiu-jitsu athletes usually earn. Despite that, he made it clear that money was not the issue.
The actor explained that he is currently committed to filming projects that will keep him busy until March 2026.
Because of this, he said he could not prepare properly or show up for the contest. The event was expected to take place outside the United States, though the exact location was not revealed in the post.
Hardy has real experience in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. He started training seriously while preparing for his role as an MMA fighter in the 2011 movie Warrior.
Since then, he has continued training and has even competed in local tournaments, winning medals. Hardy has often said that jiu-jitsu is now a regular part of his life.
While Tom Hardy ruled out the match because of time, Arman Tsarukyan has previously pointed to finances as the reason another big grappling match did not happen.
Earlier this year, Tsarukyan said a potential contest with Islam Makhachev failed due to money issues. Speaking in interviews during UFC media days in Las Vegas, Tsarukyan explained that the numbers did not work for both sides.
He said he was open to grappling matches but only if the deal made sense for everyone involved.
Tsarukyan remains focused on his UFC career, while Hardy continues balancing acting with his passion for jiu-jitsu. For now, fans will have to wait to see if either man accepts a similar challenge in the future.
Also Read:
Jon Jones Vs Daniel Cormier Net Worth In 2025: Who Is Richer From UFC Success, Old Rivalry, And Life After The Cage