Fresh questions surrounding Lewis Hamilton’s long-term Formula 1 future have intensified after several former drivers and pundits openly discussed the possibility of retirement following another difficult season with Scuderia Ferrari.
Hamilton joined Ferrari ahead of the 2025 season after leaving Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team in one of the biggest driver transfers in Formula 1 history, but the partnership has so far failed to produce the immediate resurgence many expected from the sport’s most successful driver and its most iconic team.
The seven-time world champion, now 41, still has not won a Grand Prix since arriving at Ferrari, with his most recent Formula 1 victory dating back to July 2024 during his final season with Mercedes.
Although Hamilton secured his first Ferrari podium at the Chinese Grand Prix earlier this year, much of the season has been dominated by inconsistency and growing comparisons with teammate Charles Leclerc, who has generally carried the stronger pace across the garage.

Ferrari driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain, left, and Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc of Monaco attend the drivers parade ahead of the Formula One Abu Dhabi Grand Prix at the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi, UAE, Sunday, Dec. 7, 2025. (AP Photo/Fatima Shbair)
Hamilton currently sits fifth in the drivers’ standings, while Ferrari remain behind Mercedes in the constructors’ championship despite entering the season viewed by many as potential title contenders.
Jenson Button warned Ferrari could eventually make the retirement decision themselves
The discussion around Hamilton’s future grew louder ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix after former Formula 1 world champion Jenson Button delivered a particularly blunt assessment of the situation.
Speaking first to ESPN, Button stressed that Hamilton still possesses speed, but warned Formula 1 teams ultimately make ruthless decisions when results no longer meet expectations.
“Obviously, last year was not the easiest for Lewis,” the 2009 world champion told the Press Association while discussing Hamilton’s difficult transition into Ferrari’s environment.
“He spent so many years in a team that he knew really well, and had a lot of support from that team. Then, you go to a different team that is based in Italy, and he doesn’t speak Italian. He doesn’t have that on his side, whereas his teammate does.”

FILE - Brawn GP Formula One driver Jenson Button of Britain, right, BMW Sauber Formula One driver Nick Heidfeld of Germany celebrate during the award ceremony of the Malaysia Formula One Grand Prix at the Sepang racetrack in Kuala Lumpur, Sunday, April 5, 2009. (AP Photo/Eugene Hoshiko, File)
Button also pointed toward the challenges older drivers face when adapting to completely new surroundings late in their careers.
“So, it does take a minute to get used to it, especially at 40 years old when learning is a lot more difficult than it is in your 20s. But it has been really good to see him competitive this year, and fighting with Charles.”

Ferrari driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain and Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc of Monaco arrive for the driver's parade at the Qatar Formula One Grand Prix, in Lusail, Qatar, Sunday, Nov. 30, 2025.(AP Photo/Fatima Shbair)
The former McLaren teammate of Hamilton then delivered the clearest warning of all while discussing retirement.
“If he is not quick, the team will make a decision,” Button said.
“You can’t just leave it up to a driver when they retire. If they are not quick enough, they are not quick enough.”
At the same time, Button insisted Hamilton has still shown enough this season to justify continuing beyond 2026.
“But Lewis this year has shown he has still got the speed. I have no idea if he will carry on beyond this season, but I don’t see why he wouldn’t.”
Ferrari’s struggles have added pressure to Hamilton’s transition season
Ferrari’s broader struggles have only increased scrutiny around Hamilton’s performances.
The Italian team introduced a major upgrade package during the Miami Grand Prix weekend, but the changes failed to deliver the expected leap forward.
Hamilton finished sixth in Miami while Leclerc crossed the line eighth, producing what was widely viewed as Ferrari’s weakest overall result of the campaign.
Although Hamilton has managed to outperform Leclerc on several occasions this season, the internal battle has generally leaned toward the Monegasque driver across qualifying pace and race consistency.

Ferrari team members work on their cars at the F1 Canadian Grand Prix auto race, Thursday, May 21, 2026, in Montreal. (Christinne Muschi/The Canadian Press via AP)
That imbalance has fuelled growing speculation that Hamilton could potentially consider retirement around Silverstone later this year, particularly with Ferrari still falling short of championship expectations.
Earlier this month, former Formula 1 driver Ralf Schumacher also intensified discussion around Hamilton’s future by suggesting it may soon be “time to vacate the cockpit.”
Oliver Bearman’s emergence has also sharpened Ferrari succession discussions
Much of the speculation surrounding Hamilton’s future has naturally led toward conversations about Ferrari’s longer-term succession planning.
Ferrari already possess one of Formula 1’s most highly rated young British prospects in Oliver Bearman, who remains part of the Ferrari Driver Academy after joining the programme as a teenager.
Bearman, who recently turned 21, is currently racing for Haas F1 Team, Ferrari’s customer outfit in Formula 1.
The young Brit has impressed during his second full Formula 1 campaign, and Schumacher has already suggested Bearman could become a worthy long-term replacement should Hamilton eventually step away.

Haas driver Oliver Bearman of Britain poses for a portrait ahead of the Australian Formula One Grand Prix at Albert Park, in Melbourne, Australia, Thursday, March 5, 2026. (AP Photo/Asanka Brendon Ratnayake)
For now, Hamilton remains fully contracted to Ferrari and is also believed to possess an option that could extend his stay into the 2027 Formula 1 season, with reports indicating the clause can only be activated by Hamilton himself.
Even so, with Ferrari continuing to underperform relative to expectations and retirement speculation growing steadily louder ahead of Silverstone, discussion surrounding the future of Formula 1’s most decorated driver is continuing to intensify.