Ladakh administration urges LAB to reconsider March 16 rally, says new LG keen to engage with all stakeholders
SRINAGAR: The Ladakh administration on Friday appealed to the Leh Apex Body to reconsider its proposed March 16 procession in the Union Territory, and said it was committed to a dialogue.
LAB, which along with Kargil Democratic Alliance (KDA) has been demanding statehood and inclusion of Ladakh under the Sixth Schedule of the Constitution, had last week announced its plan to hold a peaceful rally to press for a dialogue.
Addressing a presser, chief secretary Ashish Kundra said though they had a democratic right to hold a rally, the administration was “appealing to them to reconsider the decision”. He said the new lieutenant governor, Vinai Kumar Saxena, who took oath on Friday, had expressed willingness to engage with all stakeholders in Leh and Kargil, and also talk to the central govt.
Kundra, who was flanked by the DGP Mukesh Singh, said the tourist season was about to begin, and such a procession could create a negative impression about the situation in the region and send out a message that there was an environment of bandh and protests. It could also impact the local economy, he added.
“We have come here to start a new beginning and want to hold dialogue in an open manner,” the chief secretary further said.
LAB decided to hold the march citing the delay in another round of talk between Ladakhi leaders and the Union home ministry’s high-powered committee. Both LAB and KDA have urged people from across the UT to participate in the rally.
The previous round of talks between Ladakhi leaders and the MHA committee was held in New Delhi on Feb 4, but ended “without any conclusion”, according to LAB and KDA. The two bodies had then expressed hope that the ministry would soon convene another round of discussions.
Kundra said the Feb 4 meeting was held in a democratic and positive atmosphere. The groups had submitted a draft proposal to the home ministry, which had sought clarifications as the demands did not appear to be unanimous, he added. “In some cases, they are demanding statehood; in others, they are seeking a UT with a legislature; while some are talking about inclusion under the Sixth Schedule,” Kundra said.
“There are also people who are not part of the committee, including those living in Zanskar, who have different viewpoints. Any decision that will have an impact on the region for the next 50 years cannot be taken in just 15 days,” Kundra said, adding that there was a need to build a broad consensus before any major decision was taken on the issue.
Select The Times of India as your preferred source on Google Search
Israel Iran War
Addressing a presser, chief secretary Ashish Kundra said though they had a democratic right to hold a rally, the administration was “appealing to them to reconsider the decision”. He said the new lieutenant governor, Vinai Kumar Saxena, who took oath on Friday, had expressed willingness to engage with all stakeholders in Leh and Kargil, and also talk to the central govt.
Kundra, who was flanked by the DGP Mukesh Singh, said the tourist season was about to begin, and such a procession could create a negative impression about the situation in the region and send out a message that there was an environment of bandh and protests. It could also impact the local economy, he added.
“We have come here to start a new beginning and want to hold dialogue in an open manner,” the chief secretary further said.
LAB decided to hold the march citing the delay in another round of talk between Ladakhi leaders and the Union home ministry’s high-powered committee. Both LAB and KDA have urged people from across the UT to participate in the rally.
The previous round of talks between Ladakhi leaders and the MHA committee was held in New Delhi on Feb 4, but ended “without any conclusion”, according to LAB and KDA. The two bodies had then expressed hope that the ministry would soon convene another round of discussions.
“There are also people who are not part of the committee, including those living in Zanskar, who have different viewpoints. Any decision that will have an impact on the region for the next 50 years cannot be taken in just 15 days,” Kundra said, adding that there was a need to build a broad consensus before any major decision was taken on the issue.
Select The Times of India as your preferred source on Google Search
Popular from India
- Iran-Israel-US 'triangle trap': Decoding India's stance amid rising Middle East tensions
- EC may announce polling dates for 5 states/UTs next week
- VK Sasikala announces new party name and symbol ahead of Tamil Nadu elections
- 'No need to queue outside LPG distributors': Govt says avoid panic buying
- Lok Sabha showdown continues: Speaker stops Rahul Gandhi mid-speech after his remark on Hardeep Puri
end of article
Trending Stories
- US-Israel-Iran War News Live Updates: Saudi intercepts drone headed to Shaybah oil field; Israeli strikes 10 Hezbollah targets in Beirut
- India LPG Cylinder Shortage News Live Updates: Panic in Bengaluru, Mumbai, Pune amid supply fears; people queue outside gas agencies
- BCCI breaks silence after Sunrisers sign Pakistan spinner Abrar Ahmed in The Hundred
- Jaguars star and Heisman winner Travis Hunter signed a $46.6M NFL contract — But why is his net worth only $31M so far?
04:25 'Nobody will assign them responsibilities': Why Supreme Court rejected plea on menstrual leave- What’s happening in Bengaluru this weekend (March 14-15): Music, comedy, football & more - Check times, ticket prices
- IPL 2026: Chennai Super Kings tells Madras high court it will not use Jailer, Jailer 2, or Coolie songs without Sun Pictures' license
Featured in India
- RSS plans shakha expansion, wider outreach to mark centenary year
- ‘India is our friend’: Iran envoy indicates 'safe passage' for Indian ships soon
- Iran-Israel-US 'triangle trap': Decoding India's stance amid rising Middle East tensions
- Evening news wrap: Govt urges calm on LPG supply; 2 Indians killed, 10 injured in Oman attack and more
10:03 'No need to queue outside LPG distributors': Govt says avoid panic buying- Uttar Pradesh pitches investment push, says over Rs 13 lakh crore projects have moved to implementation
Photostories
- 5 luxury cars with massaging seats that make long drives relaxing
- Eating too fast may be hurting your digestion and weight: Doctors explain the 20-minute rule
- Chefs share 5 tips which can make any boring meal super tasty
- 7 Indian meals that require very little LPG to cook
- 10 rich foods that provide more potassium than a banana
- 8 most expensive fruits in the world and why they cost so much
- 7 interesting ways to reuse cooked rice water
- The Ashok Kumar story: From reluctant debut in ‘Jeevan Naiya’ to historic success with ‘Kismet’
- 7 most scenic coastal road trips in India you need to experience once
- Rs 139 crore project to widen Padi ROB into dual five-lane bridge: What we know
Videos
04:42 TMC Bid To Meet President Murmu Gets Snubbed By Rashtrapati Bhavan After Protocol Controversy10:03 As LPG Shortage Panic Spreads, Centre Urges Citizens Not To Hoard Cylinders And Opt For PNG04:25 Menstrual Leave Debate Explodes As Supreme Court Warns Of Hiring Bias Against Women06:14 'Glad India Taking Initiative': Cong MP Shashi Tharoor Lauds PM Modi's Outreach To Iran President05:23 EAM Jaishankar Holds Fourth Call With Iran Foreign Minister Amid Rising Strait Of Hormuz Tensions06:04 India Negotiates Safe Passage For Tankers At Hormuz With Iran As Concerns Over LPG Supply Increase03:53 India Among 60 Nations Under New Trade Probe By Trump Administration Over Forced Labour Imports05:55 IAF Chief AP Singh Takes Sortie In MiG-29 Fighter Jet, Reviews Combat Readiness At Adampur Base08:09 PM Modi Dials Iran President, Flags Indian Safety, Energy Supply Risks Amid Rising Gulf Tensions
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment