Thiruvananthapuram: Relatives of a man from Kallambalam employed in Israel are seeking clarity after receiving unverified reports about his death during the ongoing conflict in Middle East. Indian authorities in Israel are yet to issue any official confirmation.
Suresh Sundaresan, 42, of Muthana Sivasailam in Kallambalam, had been working in Israel on a labour visa for the past one year. He had briefly returned home six months ago following his mother's death, before going back to resume work.
According to family, Suresh last contacted them on March 16, during which he mentioned the tense situation in the area where he was employed. He had also informed his family that the locality where he was staying had witnessed missile attacks in recent days.
However, the next day, a person who claimed to be from a Malayali association in Israel reportedly contacted the family, stating that a person identified as Suresh from Kallambalam has reportedly died. The information, conveyed over a phone call, has left the family in distress, even as key details remain unclear.
"We have no authentic information about his death," said his cousin Biju T S. Biju said that according to the association member, the death occurred in Tel Aviv and Suresh's body has been shifted to a Al Khabir Hospital.
"The family is in shock. We don't know whom to contact or how to verify this. There is also a language barrier, and we have no details about his workplace or exact location," he added.
The family said they were unable to independently verify the news, as they have no details about Suresh's employer. This lack of information has made it difficult for them to reach out to authorities or contacts on the ground.
Biju also pointed to inconsistencies in the timeline, noting that the phone call claimed Suresh had died earlier, even though he had spoken to his family a day before. "He spoke to us on March 16. So, we are confused about what exactly happened and when," he said.
Relatives have filed a complaint with Kallambalam police seeking official confirmation. Police said they have received the complaint but clarified that further verification would have to be carried out through the Non-Resident Keralites Affairs department and the ministry of external affairs.
Officers indicated that confirmation in such cases depends on communication from Indian diplomatic missions and local authorities in Israel, which could take time given the ongoing conflict.
Meanwhile, Attingal MP Adoor Prakash said he has taken up the matter with the authorities. "I have taken note of the issue and will take all necessary steps to ascertain the facts. If the death is confirmed, efforts will be made to bring back the body at the earliest," he said.Get the latest lifestyle updates on Times of India, along with
EId ul fitr 2026 wishes,
messages and
quotes !
Rahul R is a Senior Reporter with the Times of India, Thiruvanant...
Read MoreRahul R is a Senior Reporter with the Times of India, Thiruvananthapuram bureau. He covers the Kerala Water Authority, environment, crime, and civic and general issues in the state capital.
He began his journalism career with The New Indian Express in Kerala, where he independently handled the Kollam district as a single-person bureau, reporting across beats and breaking key local stories.
His core interest lies in investigative reporting and in digging deep into institutional processes to connect the dots behind complex events.
In his free time, he enjoys reading, writing short stories, and listening to music.
Read Less
Start a Conversation
Post comment