This story is from January 23, 2026

Amid outcry over techie’s death, dangers galore in public places in Ghaziabad

Amid outcry over techie’s death, dangers galore in public places in Ghaziabad
Ghaziabad: While the death of a software engineer in Noida last weekend has sparked widespread outrage over civic negligence, prompting the removal of the Noida Authority CEO, similar hazards continue unchecked across parts of neighbouring Ghaziabad. In Indirapuram, several arterial and internal roads have remained dug up for months, with open drains, loose debris and no barricading, creating conditions residents say make an accident only a matter of time.
Watch
Noida Headlines Today — The Biggest Updates You Need to Know.
Municipal contractors carrying out drainage and other civic works have left trenches exposed and construction material piled along roadsides across residential colonies, commercial hubs and school zones. With no reflective markers, warning signage or protective barriers in place, residents said navigating these stretches is dangerous for children, the elderly and two-wheeler riders, especially on foggy nights.In several pockets of Indirapuram, road excavation has dragged on for more than four months. Deepak Kumar, a resident and president of the Federation of Apartment Owners' Associations (AOAs), said civic works dragged on endlessly without even basic safety arrangements.
"Development work is necessary, but the pace is mostly extremely slow. Roads remain dug up for months, and there are no barricades, reflectors or barriers. This is a serious safety risk," he said.Near Saya Zenith society on the CISF Link Road, where a long-pending drainage project is finally underway. Drains nearly 10 feet deep have been excavated along the roadside, but residents claimed that the site remained completely unsecured. Two-wheelers are routinely parked just inches from the edge of the pit, while pedestrians are forced to navigate narrow, uneven stretches."During the night, especially on foggy evenings over the last two months, these open drains became extremely dangerous," said Manish Gupta, a resident. "Only one gate of the society is functional for both entry and exit, and the open drain is right next to the ramp leading to the gate."Another resident, Pritam Kathodiya, said while residents had demanded the drainage work for years, safety had been overlooked. "This work was mandatory and we're glad it's finally happening. But there has to be basic safety. Anyone can slip and fall into the drain," he said.A stretch leading to Cambridge School campus was dug up months ago for a drain-laying exercise, but never repaired. A senior administrative official at the school said children who walk to school are at real risk of slipping or falling on broken stretches filled with stones and dust. "I have complained repeatedly through the IGRS portal and written to local engineers and officials, but nothing has changed," he said.In nearby Shalimar Garden, where ageing drains are being replaced along Wazirabad Road, several stretches have been dug up, with large concrete drain segments placed along the roadside without fencing or warning signs. "There have already been near-misses," said resident Neeraj Tyagi. "A bike almost fell into an open drain recently. Even after that, no safety measures were put in place."On Thursday, the district administration directed all departments to urgently identify accident-prone structures and locations. These include under-construction malls and high-rise buildings, incomplete or damaged bridges, open pits, exposed sewers and drains, water bodies, and damaged road dividers where corrective action has long been overdue.DM Ravindra Mander, chairperson of District Disaster Management Authority, said the recent tragedy had underscored the dangers posed by unsafe infrastructure. "Such incidents show how lethal unprotected construction sites and waterlogged structures can be," he said. "All departments have been instructed to conduct strict inspections, identify hazardous locations and take immediate preventive steps. Any negligence will invite accountability."Departments have been asked to submit detailed lists of hazardous sites along with proposed corrective measures by Jan 25. A review meeting has been scheduled for Jan 27 at the collectorate, with final action plans due by Jan 30.Municipal commissioner Vikramaditya Malik said contractors had been warned of consequences if they fail to secure work sites. "Contractors have been directed to ensure proper barricading and safety wherever work is underway. If this is not done by Jan 26, the area's junior engineer will also be held responsible, not just the contractor." he said.

Follow the latest election results 2026, live updates, winner lists, constituency-wise results, party-wise trends and full coverage for Tamil Nadu election results, West Bengal election results, Kerala election results, Assam election results and Puducherry election results results on Times of India.
author
About the AuthorAshni Dhaor

Ashni Dhaor is a Special Correspondent with the Times of India, with over a decade of experience across print, electronic, and digital media. She specialises in long-form features, grassroots civic-policy investigations, and human-interest stories, covering urban development, local governance, nightlife, and evolving lifestyle trends in Noida and Ghaziabad.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media