NEET-UG re-test sparks anger, grief, anxiety among Nagpur students
Nagpur: The National Testing Agency (NTA) on Tuesday cancelled NEET-UG 2026, held on May 3, and announced a re-test after law enforcement agencies confirmed the exam process had been compromised. The investigation is now being taken over by the CBI.
The decision has triggered anger, grief and anxiety among lakhs of students nationwide, including thousands in Nagpur, one of central India's biggest coaching hubs.
Shravani Kurve, who estimated her score at 614, said she had spent two years preparing with discipline and had taken every mock test available. She said the re-test had shattered her confidence and left her uncertain about securing a government medical college seat despite her hard work. "If our efforts are being undermined by flaws in the system that is wrong. It is unfair," she said.
Another student, Avalokit Meshram, said, "I am under a lot of stress right now. I don't know what's going to happen in future. The dates haven't been announced yet. So, we will have to strategise our preparation accordingly. It's chaos. What is more difficult is to get back to the flow that I initially had when I gave the paper. It will be difficult to get back to that flow right now."
Parents also voiced outrage. Ajay Patil said NTA's repeated failures had raised serious questions about its ability to conduct such a crucial examination. "If the NTA is full of corrupt people, then the entire NTA should be removed. It should be given to another agency," he said.
Sameer Phale, director of a reputed coaching institute, questioned the basis for cancelling the entire exam. "In 2024, the Supreme Court denied conducting a re-examination because out of 25 lakh students, very few were beneficiaries. On what grounds did NTA conclude that this many lakh students benefited this year? This case was transferred to the CBI. Literally, students are crying. A mother called me saying her daughter has been crying and not talking to anyone ever since she heard the news. Who will take care of their stress?"
Student Archit Waghmare said the sudden decision was unfair, especially for candidates appearing for the third or fourth time. He pointed out that in 2024, a re-exam was limited to around 2,000 candidates, whereas this year all 22 lakh students would have to appear again.
Not everyone opposed the move. Sarang Upganlawar, director of another reputed coaching institute, said the cancellation was demoralising but justified. He said honest students could ultimately benefit because the removal of cheaters would improve rankings at the same score. He also called for strict punishment for those responsible.
The NTA said registration data, candidature and exam centres from the May 2026 cycle would be carried forward. No fresh registration will be required, no additional fee will be charged, and fees already paid will be refunded.
(With inputs from Barsa Deb Barma)
Shravani Kurve, who estimated her score at 614, said she had spent two years preparing with discipline and had taken every mock test available. She said the re-test had shattered her confidence and left her uncertain about securing a government medical college seat despite her hard work. "If our efforts are being undermined by flaws in the system that is wrong. It is unfair," she said.
Another student, Avalokit Meshram, said, "I am under a lot of stress right now. I don't know what's going to happen in future. The dates haven't been announced yet. So, we will have to strategise our preparation accordingly. It's chaos. What is more difficult is to get back to the flow that I initially had when I gave the paper. It will be difficult to get back to that flow right now."
Sameer Phale, director of a reputed coaching institute, questioned the basis for cancelling the entire exam. "In 2024, the Supreme Court denied conducting a re-examination because out of 25 lakh students, very few were beneficiaries. On what grounds did NTA conclude that this many lakh students benefited this year? This case was transferred to the CBI. Literally, students are crying. A mother called me saying her daughter has been crying and not talking to anyone ever since she heard the news. Who will take care of their stress?"
Student Archit Waghmare said the sudden decision was unfair, especially for candidates appearing for the third or fourth time. He pointed out that in 2024, a re-exam was limited to around 2,000 candidates, whereas this year all 22 lakh students would have to appear again.
The NTA said registration data, candidature and exam centres from the May 2026 cycle would be carried forward. No fresh registration will be required, no additional fee will be charged, and fees already paid will be refunded.
(With inputs from Barsa Deb Barma)
You Can Also Check: Gold Rate in Nagpur | Silver Rate in Nagpur | Bank Holidays in Nagpur | Public Holidays in Nagpur
end of article
In Nagpur
- New Airport Terminal Will Give Major Ridership Push To Nagpur Metro’s Quietest Station
- GMR Finally Lands, Hope Soars On Flyer Boom
- Nagpur Airport Expansion Wins Industry Backing as Stakeholders Call It ‘Turning Point’ for Vidarbha
- Maha govt halves ministers’ convoys
- Gadkari opts for bus travel, cuts convoy size by 50%
- Ballarshah-Mumbai new rail service to boost connectivity
- Maha Class 12 CBSE students post 87% pass percentage
Featured In City
- Prateek helped transform city’s fitness culture, recall gym enthusiasts
- Three beat up man to death after argument at restobar in Daund
- Amid PM’s self-reliance call, bid to boost sunflower yield cultivation
- Haryana rolls out online mutation process to curb property fraud, begins with Manesar
- Land takeover delayed, Airoli-Katai Naka elevated road may miss 2028 deadline by 1 year
- Guj to use 500 foresters, 250 camera traps to count sole tiger
- HC rejects woman’s plea to release convict-husband to beget baby
Photostories
- Tara Sutaria’s Cannes debut look is giving ‘Breakfast at Tiffany's' vibe, but make it Bollywood edition
- Top US states with most lightning strikes
- Alia Bhatt stuns in an icy blue gown at Cannes 2026; fashion fans say, “Elsa who?”
- Inside 15 years of Prince William and Catherine, Princess of Wales’s most talked-about royal looks
- Figs are more powerful than you think: Here’s what happens when you eat them regularly and how to eat it properly
- Stop throwing away mango peel: 6 delicious ways to use them in your kitchen
- 5 weird things people do in love and why, as per psychology
- Why these 5 vegetable DIY remedies are harmful for your skin
- 8 Indian states where women can travel free on government buses; West Bengal becomes the latest to join the list
- 5 deadliest insects on the planet: Small creatures with a massive global impact
Videos
03:42 Vijay Targets NEET Again, Says Medical Admissions Should Depend On Class 12 Marks04:10 Congress Claims Assam FIR Row Is Linked To Questions Over Himanta Sarma Assets | Watch03:16 CBI Arrests Five In NEET-UG 2026 Paper Leak Case As Probe Expands Nationwide | Watch05:02 Ex-Army Chief Naravane Backs People-To-People Ties To Improve India Pak Relations03:14 Air India Cuts 29 International Routes As West Asia War Drives Up Fuel Costs And Disruptions05:29 Vijay Reverses Astrologer Appointment; PM Modi Orders Nearly 50% Convoy | Headlines@905:51 EPS Removes Rebel Leaders Backing Vijay Government As AIADMK Internal Crisis Deepens03:53 Postmortem Reveals Massive Blood Clot In Lungs Caused Prateek Yadav’s Death | Watch03:01 Himanta Biswa Sarma Announces UCC Bill For Assam As State Moves Towards Uniform Civil Law
Hot Picks
Top Trends
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment