Nagpur: The Nagpur Rural police's plan to rope in experts from National Fire Services College to determine cause of the blaze that gutted 25 hutments in Dhamangaon village in Bhiwapur taluka earlier this month was shelved after the investigators got crucial eyewitness account that clearly established the sequence of events.Officials from National Fire Services College also stated that they had not received any communication from the police regarding the incident.The fire broke out on May 2 and was traced to an act of stubble burning by a farmer, who allegedly set fire to agricultural residue in his field and left for weekly market without ensuring it was fully extinguished. What began as a routine farm activity escalated into a major disaster when strong winds and a sudden storm carried embers to densely-packed hutments nearby.According to police officials, breakthrough in the investigation came within 24 hours of the incident when an eyewitness came forward with a detailed account of how the fire started and spread. "Initially, there were no eyewitnesses, and we had readied a proposal to involve experts from National Fire Services College. But during the investigation, we came across a crucial eyewitness, and the plan was dropped," said a senior police officer. Police said the eyewitness accounts described in detail how the accused farmer ignited stubble and left without supervising the smouldering remains. These statements, recorded by Bhiwapur police, helped establish a clear sequence of events and a direct link between the act of negligence and the subsequent devastation.Officials said the testimony was strong enough to proceed with legal action without external technical input. "The statements provided sufficient evidence to prepare detailed charge sheet, which is being compiled. The accused farmer has already been arrested," the official told TOI.While 25 hutments were completely gutted, two senior citizens sustained burns while attempting to escape but were rescued in time and are now reported to be stable. Several livestock animals also perished in the blaze, adding to the losses.Investigators also noted that unusually strong winds and sudden weather changes during summer played a significant role in the rapid spread of the flames, a fact supported by multiple eyewitness accounts. The combination of dry conditions, gusty winds, and closely built structures left villagers with little time to respond after the fire intensified.Following the incident, district administration has banned stubble burning to prevent similar disasters. Officials are also planning awareness campaigns to educate farmers about safer and more sustainable methods of disposing of agricultural residue.For the affected families, many of whom have lost their homes and belongings, the focus now is on recovery and rebuilding. The incident has once again highlighted the dangers of stubble burning, a practice still widely followed in parts of Vidarbha despite repeated warnings from authorities.