This story is from June 01, 2022
AIIMS reaches out to strike-hit patients of GMCs
Nagpur: Following TOI reports on the plight of patients at both the medical colleges where a strike by the nursing staff has crippled services, AIIMS has appealed to citizens to seek treatment at their hospital.
Many patients from government medical college and hospital (GMCH) and Indira Gandhi government medical college (IGGMCH) have either shifted voluntarily to private hospitals or returned home due to the strike. The GMCs were also asking patients due for planned surgeries to return only after the strike. Elective surgeries have been put off till the strike is called off while the GMCs are struggling with daily emergencies too.
The situation at AIIMS too is not perfect as it is also facing shortage of doctors despite having state-of-the-art infrastructure and equipment.
Last week, AIIMS officials had admitted that they were maintaining a wait list for elective surgeries because of vacant posts.
“It has been brought to our notice that the ongoing strike by nursing officers and the staff crunch due to staff vacations at GMCH and Mayo Hospital has had patients, both new and follow-ups, running helter-skelter and seeking treatment from private medical facilities. We would like to inform you that patients can visit AIIMS at Mihan and avail best quality, low-cost medical care and (OPD/emergency) services,” a press note issued by AIIMS said.
On how they will manage additional patients, Dr Vibha Dutta, director, AIIMS, Nagpur, said, “We will try our best to treat these patients. We are prepared to treat patients requiring minor and major procedures. Instead of private hospitals, people must come to AIIMS which is also a government institute. All eligible beneficiaries will be treated free of cost.”
Dr Atul Rajkondawar, medical superintendent, GMCH, said they have performed 40 surgeries in the last 24 hours despite the nurses’ strike. “We still have 840 patients admitted. I agree that elective operations are not being performed for the time being. If someone wishes, they can prefer any hospital but we can’t refer anyone to a particular place,” he said.
Dr Sagar Pandey, deputy medical superintendent, IGGMCH, said they are guiding patients regarding the option of seeking treatment at AIIMS during the strike period.
IPL 2025 mega auction
The situation at AIIMS too is not perfect as it is also facing shortage of doctors despite having state-of-the-art infrastructure and equipment.
Last week, AIIMS officials had admitted that they were maintaining a wait list for elective surgeries because of vacant posts.
“It has been brought to our notice that the ongoing strike by nursing officers and the staff crunch due to staff vacations at GMCH and Mayo Hospital has had patients, both new and follow-ups, running helter-skelter and seeking treatment from private medical facilities. We would like to inform you that patients can visit AIIMS at Mihan and avail best quality, low-cost medical care and (OPD/emergency) services,” a press note issued by AIIMS said.
On how they will manage additional patients, Dr Vibha Dutta, director, AIIMS, Nagpur, said, “We will try our best to treat these patients. We are prepared to treat patients requiring minor and major procedures. Instead of private hospitals, people must come to AIIMS which is also a government institute. All eligible beneficiaries will be treated free of cost.”
Dr Atul Rajkondawar, medical superintendent, GMCH, said they have performed 40 surgeries in the last 24 hours despite the nurses’ strike. “We still have 840 patients admitted. I agree that elective operations are not being performed for the time being. If someone wishes, they can prefer any hospital but we can’t refer anyone to a particular place,” he said.
Popular from City
- Can’t believe Maharashtra would behave with me in this manner: Uddhav Thackeray
- Maharashtra elections: Big guns fail, Congress bastion crumbles
- BJP’s infiltration story lost midway: Jharkhand shows no fear of ‘infiltrators’
- Bengaluru bizwoman was stripped, senior police officer demanded Rs 25 lakh: Kin
- Secunderabad Vande Bharat likely to be replaced with 8-coach rake
end of article
Trending Stories
- IPL Auction 2025 Live Streaming: Date, Time, When and Where to watch on TV and online
- Maharashtra election results: Actress Swara Bhasker blames EVMs after husband Fahad Ahmad's poll defeat
- Maharashtra election results: BJP's best, Congress's worst-ever show in state; 'Traitors' Shinde and Pawar prove they're true heirs
- Elon Musk asks Donald Trump Jr how much MSNBC costs. X users say, 'We've been here before'
- 'Dragon believer' Joe Rogan turns The View's Joy Behar’s critique into laugh fest
- Secunderabad Vande Bharat likely to be replaced with 8-coach rake
- Maharashtra election results: 'ECI I am coming after you,' says Swara Bhaskar's husband Fahad Ahmad after loss
Visual Stories
- 10 ways to use pumpkin seeds
- 7 things that boys learn from their moms
- 10 Indian breakfast dishes loved across the world
- How to grow onion and garlic on your kitchen window
- Kid-friendly wildlife experiences in India
TOP TRENDS
UP NEXT
Start a Conversation
Post comment