PUNE: Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) ministers
Chhagan Bhujbal and Dattatray Bharne have admitted to the increasing financial burden on the state govt due to Mukhyamantri Majhi Ladki Bahin Yojana, which, according to Bharne, has also delayed funds for several development works.
Speaking to reporters in Nashik on Sunday, senior NCP leader and minister Chhagan Bhujbal said that expenditure on other schemes and initiatives was restricted due to the financial commitment required for the scheme.
“Govt expenses are increasing, for which there is a need to raise the revenue as well. Considering the increased expenses from last year (after the launch of the Ladki Bahin scheme), we have to raise taxes to balance the situation, and only then will revenue go up, and schemes like this or Shiv Bhojan Thali can be run,” Bhujbal said.
He said major financial commitments naturally impact other budgetary allocations. On whether the Ladki Bahin scheme has impacted the treasury, Bhujbal said, “It is 100% true, and there is nothing to hide about it. When govt needs to set aside Rs 45,000 crore for a single scheme, it is obvious that it will affect other sectors.” Attempts are being made to boost revenue from other sources, they said.
On Saturday, NCP minister Dattatray Bharne voiced similar concerns at a public event in Indapur.
“There has been a delay in receiving funds for development works due to Ladki Bahin scheme,” he said. The situation is normalising and he will bring funds for works in Indapur, his assembly constituency, he added.
Deputy chief minister Ajit Pawar, reacting to statements made by party colleague Bharne, said he will verify the delay in the allocation of funds to development works due to the scheme. "I will check why he (Bharne) has spoken so and what is his expectation, and what was the intention behind his statement," he told reporters in Pune.
The state govt spends Rs 46,000 crore annually for the scheme, under which women are paid Rs 1,500 per month as financial assistance. Several cabinet ministers, including those from Shiv Sena and NCP, have raised similar concerns in the past, claiming that funds were being diverted from other departments to pay the beneficiaries.
MVA members have been targeting the ruling Mahyuti over the state’s fiscal health but chief minister Devendra Fadnavis and his deputies Eknath Shinde and Ajit Pawar claim that it is robust and the scheme launche last July before the state poll is on track.