‘Unsafe’ transport of toxic waste from Cuncolim estate irks Curchorem locals
Margao: The removal of hazardous waste from the Cuncolim industrial estate, which began on May 2, has hit a roadblock as residents of Curchorem have begun stopping trucks transporting waste through populated areas of the town. The reasons cited were overloading, absence of required permits, and risk of spillage. Locals have warned of launching an agitation, if the reckless transportation is not immediately reined in.
The waste in question was zinc extract process residue that was discarded by Sunrise Zinc Ltd, after it ceased operations in 2007 following a HC order. Since then, the residue has been lying at the Cuncolim industrial estate for nearly two decades, causing contamination of wells and widespread health problems among residents. The Goa Waste Management Corporation (GWMC) began its phased removal operation on May 2, with the material to be transported to the facility at Pissurlem for processing and disposal.
However, the manner of transportation has drawn sharp criticism from Curchorem locals. Activist Dattaraj Raut Dessai said the trucks were found to be operating without valid permits from the authorities concerned. “They were overloaded, and there were chances of spillage of the waste onto the roads,” he said.
Raut Dessai pointed out that the guidelines for transportation of hazardous waste require such material to be transported in sealed bags, loaded into airtight compactors — not open box-type trucks. “During the rains, runoff from waste spilled on the roads will flow into fields and water bodies, contaminating them and posing a serious risk to the lives of residents,” he warned.
He called on the GWMC and the Goa State Pollution Control Board (GSPCB) to step in immediately and halt the improper transportation. “If such reckless transportation continues, we will have no option but to launch an agitation,” Raut Dessai said.
The GWMC’s operation, costing Rs 13 crore involves clearing over more than 50,000 metric tonnes of legacy waste.
Check Madhyamik Result 2026 online at TOI and real-time WB 10th result updates.
However, the manner of transportation has drawn sharp criticism from Curchorem locals. Activist Dattaraj Raut Dessai said the trucks were found to be operating without valid permits from the authorities concerned. “They were overloaded, and there were chances of spillage of the waste onto the roads,” he said.
Raut Dessai pointed out that the guidelines for transportation of hazardous waste require such material to be transported in sealed bags, loaded into airtight compactors — not open box-type trucks. “During the rains, runoff from waste spilled on the roads will flow into fields and water bodies, contaminating them and posing a serious risk to the lives of residents,” he warned.
He called on the GWMC and the Goa State Pollution Control Board (GSPCB) to step in immediately and halt the improper transportation. “If such reckless transportation continues, we will have no option but to launch an agitation,” Raut Dessai said.
The GWMC’s operation, costing Rs 13 crore involves clearing over more than 50,000 metric tonnes of legacy waste.
You Can Also Check: Gold Rate in Goa | Silver Rate in Goa | Bank Holidays in Goa | Public Holidays in Goa
Check Madhyamik Result 2026 online at TOI and real-time WB 10th result updates.
end of article
In Goa
- With just two foreigners, FC Goa doing much better than other teams in ISL: Udanta Singh
- No poaching, but cause of tiger’s death undetermined, says Rane
- Goa’s 13.3% crime rate is 5.2% rape, 8.1% Pocso cases: Police
- HC dismisses mining lease renewal plea, imposes Rs 5 lakh costs on firm
- HC junks habeas corpus plea by US-based dad seeking repatriation of 3.5-yr-old child
- HC dismisses PIL challenging dump policy, says lease holder paid royalty
- Sesa sgets cabinet nod to export extra 1L tonne iron ore from Codli
Featured In City
- Lucknow Metro’s east-west corridor to get driverless trains
- Two Ahmedabad traffic cops suspended for ‘harassing’ Madhya Pradesh man during vehicle check
- Man gets 20 years in jail for sexual assault of minor
- NGT demands compliance report on park development in Agra colony
- 45-yr-old woman calls helpline after relationship trouble with 24-yr-old man
- Circulating minor’s videos violates JJ Act, say activists protesting Champawat case
- ISL: FC Goa look to halt Bagan’s march
Photostories
- Do common mice found in homes and gardens can spread hantavirus
- 7 things parents of highly confident children teach them differently
- Success quote of the day by Sachin Tendulkar: “The key to handling pressure situations is to..."
- Coffee vs Green Tea: Which is healthier overall?
- 10 best UNESCO spa towns of Europe where people visit for wellness and healing
- 10 Universities so beautiful, they feel like a journey through time
- Suryakumar Yadav and Devisha Shetty become parents for the first time: Their love story
- Bird Flu outbreak in Maharashtra: How humans can get infected and the symptoms experts want you to watch
- R. Ashwin, aka “Spin Wizard”, Chennai home is a crores-worth haven blending comfort, family life and cricketing success
- Onion juice vs onion oil: Which is better for summer hair fall control?
Videos
07:50 Two States, Two Big Winners: Suvendu Gets Bengal, Vijay Eyes Tamil Nadu08:12 Shah Hails BJP’s Historic Bengal Victory, Credits People’s Faith In Modi03:02 BJP Names Suvendu Adhikari As West Bengal’s First BJP Chief Minister03:50 Viral MLA Preference List Shows KC Venugopal Claiming Majority Support As Kerala CM07:06 TMC Leader Kunal Ghosh Says Bengal Violence Must Be Viewed From Two Different Perspectives03:11 Congress-DMK Split And TVK Support Trigger Fresh INDIA Alliance Tensions03:44 Pakistan’s Bizarre ‘Why Speak English?’ Reaction After India Details Op Sindoor Strikes05:01 Sanjay Raut Writes To Donald Trump Over Bengal Polls, Questions BJP Victory Praise07:19 Deadly Hantavirus Outbreak On Luxury Cruise Ship | 3 Dead, Indians Among Crew Onboard MV Hondius
Hot Picks
Top Trends
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment