Nainital: Six people, including a party functionary and a district panchayat vice-president, have been charged in connection with the Panjanhedi shootout case under the jurisdiction of Kankhal police station on Thursday.
The FIR was registered against Amit Chauhan and five others on a complaint filed by Deepshikha, wife of social activist Atul Chauhan, who was arrested a day earlier. In her complaint, Deepshikha alleged that Amit Chauhan was involved in illegal plotting in the area by cutting orchards and agricultural land. She said her husband had earlier approached the administration and the court over the alleged encroachment and had also sought protection after receiving threats from the "property mafia".
Kolkata Fire Tragedy, Landmark Ruling On Women Health, Gold-Silver Crash And More
As per the complaint, revenue department officials had asked Atul Chauhan to reach the disputed site on Wednesday for land verification. Soon after he stepped out of his vehicle, Amit Chauhan and others allegedly attacked him with sticks and other weapons in the presence of revenue officials.
Police registered a case against Amit Chauhan, Sachin Chauhan, Krishnpal, Shobhit, Sahdev and one unidentified person under Sections 115(2), 119(2), 119(3) and 351(2) and (3) of the BNS.
In a parallel development, police also registered a separate case against six accused, including social activist Atul Chauhan, his nephew and seer Brahmachari Sudhanand from social organisation Matri Sadan, in connection with the same incident on charges of attempt to murder. A probe has been ordered.
City CO SS Negi said a case was registered on the basis of the complaint filed by Atul Chauhan's wife, while an initial inquiry was underway into another complaint submitted by Matri Sadan. He said that Atul Chauhan had surrendered at Kankhal police station soon after the firing, claiming he opened fire in self-defence.
Two persons, including the younger brother of Amit Chauhan, sustained bullet injuries during the clash that broke out during the land verification process on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, Matri Sadan head Swami Shivanand Saraswati announced an indefinite fast from Saturday over the FIR filed against Brahmachari Sudhanand.