Why Trump paused fresh Iran strikes just hours before launch
US President Donald Trump has delayed a planned resumption of military strikes on Iran after pressure from Gulf allies and ongoing diplomatic efforts. This comes despite him saying that US forces were “all set to start” operations.
Speaking at the White House on Tuesday, Trump said he had decided to give Tehran a “limited period of time” to produce an acceptable agreement before authorising further attacks. “I’m saying two or three days, maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday, something, maybe early next week,” CNN reported, citing Trump.
The decision marked the latest reversal in Trump’s approach towards Iran, after he suggested he had been close to approving new military action. “They’re loaded to the brim,” Trump said of US warships deployed in the region. “And we were all set to start.”
According to the report, the US military had already prepared detailed plans for a renewed multi-phase air campaign against Iran, including identified targets and operational phases. Trump reviewed military options with Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, CIA Director John Ratcliffe and special envoy Steve Witkoff at his golf club in Virginia after returning from China over the weekend.
A person familiar with the discussions said that Trump had considered striking additional Iranian targets after becoming frustrated with the slow progress in negotiations, CNN reported.
However, Gulf leaders intervened as the US moved closer to military action. Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates separately urged Washington to hold off on strikes and allow diplomatic channels more time.
Gulf states feared renewed conflict could provoke Iranian retaliation against critical energy infrastructure and further destabilise the region. Some countries also warned they could impose tighter restrictions on US military access to bases and airspace if attacks resumed.
Trump acknowledged concerns over Iranian retaliation remained. “They still have a little capacity,” he said of Iran’s military capabilities. “Not much, but they have a little.”
Saudi Arabia briefly restricted US access to bases and airspace during an earlier operation linked to the Strait of Hormuz before lifting the pause after Trump suspended the mission.
The Gulf states also pointed to ongoing Pakistan-led mediation efforts and the significance of the Hajj season as reasons to avoid escalation. One regional official said Gulf leaders presented “a unified front” in their appeals for restraint.
Trump said those calls ultimately influenced his decision. “I had made the decision. So they called up, they had heard I had made the decision, and they said, ‘Sir, could you give us a couple of more days? Because we think they’re being reasonable,” he said.
Despite the temporary pause, military plans remain active. Commanders could launch operations at short notice, and the campaign may be renamed from “Operation Epic Fury” to “Operation Sledgehammer”. The proposed name change could also have legal implications. Restarting operations under a new name could potentially reset the 60-day clock under the War Powers Act, which governs congressional approval for military action.
Defence secretary Pete Hegseth earlier said the ceasefire announced in April had effectively paused that timeline. “With the ceasefire, the clock stops. If it were to restart, that would be the president’s decision,” he said. “That option is always there, and Iran knows that.”
While Trump has repeatedly insisted diplomacy remains possible, there has been little public indication that Tehran has softened its position on key disputes, including uranium enrichment and retaining its stockpile of near-weapons-grade uranium.
Vice President JD Vance acknowledged negotiations remained uncertain. “You negotiate with people, and sometimes you feel like you’re making progress and sometimes you feel like you’re not making progress,” he said. “What I think is that the Iranians want to make a deal.”
The decision marked the latest reversal in Trump’s approach towards Iran, after he suggested he had been close to approving new military action. “They’re loaded to the brim,” Trump said of US warships deployed in the region. “And we were all set to start.”
According to the report, the US military had already prepared detailed plans for a renewed multi-phase air campaign against Iran, including identified targets and operational phases. Trump reviewed military options with Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, CIA Director John Ratcliffe and special envoy Steve Witkoff at his golf club in Virginia after returning from China over the weekend.
A person familiar with the discussions said that Trump had considered striking additional Iranian targets after becoming frustrated with the slow progress in negotiations, CNN reported.
Gulf states feared renewed conflict could provoke Iranian retaliation against critical energy infrastructure and further destabilise the region. Some countries also warned they could impose tighter restrictions on US military access to bases and airspace if attacks resumed.
Trump acknowledged concerns over Iranian retaliation remained. “They still have a little capacity,” he said of Iran’s military capabilities. “Not much, but they have a little.”
Saudi Arabia briefly restricted US access to bases and airspace during an earlier operation linked to the Strait of Hormuz before lifting the pause after Trump suspended the mission.
The Gulf states also pointed to ongoing Pakistan-led mediation efforts and the significance of the Hajj season as reasons to avoid escalation. One regional official said Gulf leaders presented “a unified front” in their appeals for restraint.
Trump said those calls ultimately influenced his decision. “I had made the decision. So they called up, they had heard I had made the decision, and they said, ‘Sir, could you give us a couple of more days? Because we think they’re being reasonable,” he said.
Despite the temporary pause, military plans remain active. Commanders could launch operations at short notice, and the campaign may be renamed from “Operation Epic Fury” to “Operation Sledgehammer”. The proposed name change could also have legal implications. Restarting operations under a new name could potentially reset the 60-day clock under the War Powers Act, which governs congressional approval for military action.
Defence secretary Pete Hegseth earlier said the ceasefire announced in April had effectively paused that timeline. “With the ceasefire, the clock stops. If it were to restart, that would be the president’s decision,” he said. “That option is always there, and Iran knows that.”
While Trump has repeatedly insisted diplomacy remains possible, there has been little public indication that Tehran has softened its position on key disputes, including uranium enrichment and retaining its stockpile of near-weapons-grade uranium.
Vice President JD Vance acknowledged negotiations remained uncertain. “You negotiate with people, and sometimes you feel like you’re making progress and sometimes you feel like you’re not making progress,” he said. “What I think is that the Iranians want to make a deal.”
Comments (3)
J
JamieMost Interacted
10 minutes ago
Because the demented senile monkey does not remember what was going through his mind even few minutes earlier!...Read More
Reply
0
Reply
Popular from World
- Quote of the day by Queen Elizabeth: “Over the years, those who have seemed to me to be the most happy, contented and fulfilled have always been the people who have lived the most outgoing and unselfish lives.”
- Quote of the day by Amal Clooney: “If you’re a woman lying on the beach in the Maldives, you might want to know that a kilometer away, another woman is...”
- 10 countries with highest anaconda population in the world: From Brazil to French Guiana
- Texas whistleblower asks how H-1Bs live in beautiful, $800,000 houses, blames Biden for giving out loans
- A 93-year-old widow gave $1 billion to a Bronx medical school, and future doctors may never see tuition bills again
end of article
Trending Stories
- Youngest and fastest ever! Vaibhav Sooryavanshi rewrites IPL history in another record-breaking day
- CHSE Odisha Plus 2 result 2026 today; Arts, Science and Commerce results together for first time: Steps to check marksheets on DigiLocker
- How Canada-based ‘suitor’ planned Punjabi singer Inder Kaur’s murder, fled India the same night
- Odisha CHSE 12th Result 2026 Live Updates: Arts, Science, Commerce Plus Two scores today at results.odisha.gov.in from 12:30 PM
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Result 2026 Date & Time: DGE TN Class 10 results tomorrow at 9:30 am on tnresults.nic.in
06:16 'Stored at -4°C, requires -80°C': Cops 'request' family to take Twisha Sharma's 'decomposing' body08:16 Watch: PM Modi's surprise gift for Giorgia Meloni has a very 'Melodi' twist
Featured in world
- 1,700-year-old Roman tombs reveal a dye worth more than gold inside coffins sealed for centuries
- Who is Hardev Virdee? Indian-origin finance expert appointed Chief Strategy Officer at UK's Met police
- Can people be allergic to water? Scientists say this rare condition makes it possible
08:16 Watch: PM Modi's surprise gift for Giorgia Meloni has a very 'Melodi' twist- Did regime change plans in Iran include hardliner who called to 'wipe Israel off the map'?
- Quote of the day by Marcus Aurelius: “It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear…”
Photostories
- "Faltu khana na banaye, agar koi..." CM Yogi Adityanath urges people on being mindful while cooking: 5 tips on how to cook 'right' at home
- How to grow avocado plant in a pot (Simple step-by-step guide for beginners)
- 5 cat breeds that look majestic and regal
- 10 simple work habits that save you hours every week
- PM Narendra Modi’s Italy visit and the ‘Melodi’ Moments
- The snake that “plays dead”: Inside the bizarre defence tactics of hognose snakes
- Aditi Rao Hydari’s home gives a rich mix of culture, comfort, and creativity: 5 ideas to borrow
- Mike Tyson says he caught Brad Pitt with his ex-wife: A look back at every cheating allegation the actor has ever faced
- Through Hubble’s eyes: A journey across the universe
- Success quote of the day by Aristotle: "It is during our darkest moments that..."
Videos
08:48 Putin’s Big Remark During Bilateral With Xi 'Creates Ripples' In US | Watch10:31 US Acknowledges 42 Aircraft Losses, Tehran Warns More Surprises If War Resumes07:11 ‘Race War Now’: San Diego Mosque Gunmen Wore Nazi Symbols, SHOCKING New Details REVEALED13:36 US Signals NATO Military Pullback As Europe Braces For Smaller American War Commitment09:20 ‘One Day Feels Like 3 Autumns…’: Putin-Xi Chemistry On Display After Trump’s Beijing Visit13:46 Iran Flexes Military Might, Issues Shock Warning After Destroying 40+ American Aircraft During War08:00 Trump Warns Nuclear Iran Could Destroy Israel & Put LA At Risk, Hints Fresh Strikes Just Days Away09:11 NATO Fighter Jet Shoots Down Ukrainian Kamikaze Drone Over Estonia In Rare Action08:57 Moscow Returns Nuclear Specialists to Iran’s Bushehr Plant Despite U.S. Threat Of Strikes
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media