'PM's hair was on fire': Donald Trump & Netanyahu spar over Iran war's next steps in heated phone call
US President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a difficult phone call on Tuesday over efforts to revive diplomacy with Iran, with US media reports indicating a divide over whether to pursue negotiations or return to military action.
As per Axios, Trump and Netanyahu discussed a revised peace proposal drafted by Qatar and Pakistan, with support from other regional mediators, aimed at bridging gaps between Washington and Tehran.
One source quoted by Axios described Netanyahu’s reaction after the call by saying his “hair was on fire”.
Trump has continued to publicly express hope that a deal can still be reached with Iran, while also warning that military strikes remain an option if negotiations fail.
“We’ll either have a deal or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty,” Trump said on Wednesday.
Later, he added that talks were “right on the borderline” between an agreement and renewed conflict.
Also read: Donald Trump warns Iran of ‘nasty’ US action as negotiations enter 'final stages'
Reportedly, Netanyahu remains deeply sceptical of negotiations and wants Israel and the US to resume military operations against Iran to further weaken Tehran’s military and strategic infrastructure.
According to CNN, Netanyahu told Trump during the hour-long call that delaying planned strikes against Iran was a mistake and argued for continuing military action. The report said the Israeli leadership is increasingly frustrated with what it views as Iran’s diplomatic “foot-dragging”.
Trump had earlier informed Netanyahu that the US was likely to move ahead with targeted attacks on Iran under a proposed operation called “Operation Sledgehammer”. However, within a day, Trump paused the strikes after requests from Gulf allies including Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
Trump informed Netanyahu during Tuesday’s call that mediators were working on a “letter of intent” that the US and Iran could sign to formally end the war and begin a 30-day negotiation process covering Iran’s nuclear programme and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.
As per Axios, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Egypt have been actively refining a new draft proposal over recent days. Qatar reportedly sent a delegation to Tehran earlier this week for talks with Iranian officials.
Iran confirmed it is reviewing the updated proposal. Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said Tehran had “received the points of view of the American side” and was examining them.
Also read: US envoy Sergio Gor hints at ‘big things’ in India-US nuclear energy partnership
Iran has continued to demand the release of frozen assets and an end to what it describes as US “piracy” against Iranian shipping.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian stressed diplomacy in a statement, saying, “Iran has consistently honoured its commitments and explored every avenue to avert war; all paths remain open from our side.”
Despite ongoing talks, Trump has repeatedly warned that the window for diplomacy could close quickly.
“It’s right on the borderline, believe me,” Trump said. “If we don’t get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We’re all ready to go.”
Trump also said Netanyahu would ultimately follow Washington’s lead on Iran. “Netanyahu will do whatever I want him to do,” he said.
Meanwhile, Israel’s military leadership has maintained a high state of readiness. Israeli army chief Eyal Zamir said the military was “prepared for any development”.
The diplomatic efforts come after an April 8 ceasefire halted open fighting between Iran, the US and Israel, though tensions remain high and the Strait of Hormuz continues to face major disruptions affecting global energy markets.
One source quoted by Axios described Netanyahu’s reaction after the call by saying his “hair was on fire”.
Trump has continued to publicly express hope that a deal can still be reached with Iran, while also warning that military strikes remain an option if negotiations fail.
“We’ll either have a deal or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty,” Trump said on Wednesday.
Also read: Donald Trump warns Iran of ‘nasty’ US action as negotiations enter 'final stages'
Netanyahu pushes for tougher military approach
Reportedly, Netanyahu remains deeply sceptical of negotiations and wants Israel and the US to resume military operations against Iran to further weaken Tehran’s military and strategic infrastructure.
According to CNN, Netanyahu told Trump during the hour-long call that delaying planned strikes against Iran was a mistake and argued for continuing military action. The report said the Israeli leadership is increasingly frustrated with what it views as Iran’s diplomatic “foot-dragging”.
Trump had earlier informed Netanyahu that the US was likely to move ahead with targeted attacks on Iran under a proposed operation called “Operation Sledgehammer”. However, within a day, Trump paused the strikes after requests from Gulf allies including Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
Trump informed Netanyahu during Tuesday’s call that mediators were working on a “letter of intent” that the US and Iran could sign to formally end the war and begin a 30-day negotiation process covering Iran’s nuclear programme and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.
New mediation efforts under way
As per Axios, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Egypt have been actively refining a new draft proposal over recent days. Qatar reportedly sent a delegation to Tehran earlier this week for talks with Iranian officials.
Iran confirmed it is reviewing the updated proposal. Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said Tehran had “received the points of view of the American side” and was examining them.
Also read: US envoy Sergio Gor hints at ‘big things’ in India-US nuclear energy partnership
Iran has continued to demand the release of frozen assets and an end to what it describes as US “piracy” against Iranian shipping.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian stressed diplomacy in a statement, saying, “Iran has consistently honoured its commitments and explored every avenue to avert war; all paths remain open from our side.”
Trump warns diplomacy window could close
Despite ongoing talks, Trump has repeatedly warned that the window for diplomacy could close quickly.
“It’s right on the borderline, believe me,” Trump said. “If we don’t get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We’re all ready to go.”
Trump also said Netanyahu would ultimately follow Washington’s lead on Iran. “Netanyahu will do whatever I want him to do,” he said.
Meanwhile, Israel’s military leadership has maintained a high state of readiness. Israeli army chief Eyal Zamir said the military was “prepared for any development”.
The diplomatic efforts come after an April 8 ceasefire halted open fighting between Iran, the US and Israel, though tensions remain high and the Strait of Hormuz continues to face major disruptions affecting global energy markets.
Comments (62)
K
Krishnan VMost Interacted
2 hours ago
A nuclear Iran would be a disaster for the whole world. That should never be allowed...Read More
4 Replies
28
13
Reply
Popular from World
- The MAGfather: Trump shows total control over GOP
- Quote of the day by Queen Elizabeth: “Over the years, those who have seemed to me to be the most happy, contented and fulfilled have always been the people who have lived the most outgoing and unselfish lives.”
- Quote of the day by Amal Clooney: “If you’re a woman lying on the beach in the Maldives, you might want to know that a kilometer away, another woman is...”
- A 93-year-old widow gave $1 billion to a Bronx medical school, and future doctors may never see tuition bills again
- 10 countries with highest anaconda population in the world: From Brazil to French Guiana
end of article
Trending Stories
- IPL: KKR beat MI by 4 wickets to keep their playoff hopes alive
- Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader's Abby Summers reveals painful skin struggle after cosmetic procedure
- Bugs at White House? Dana White reveals bizarre problem threatening UFC’s historic event
- Is Victor Wembanyama playing tonight against the Oklahoma City Thunder? Final update on the Spur star's injury report
- Vaibhav Sooryavanshi reveals real reason behind viral 'A' celebration after LSG blitz
08:30 'Gave them car, 10 tola gold': Woman dies by suicide due to 'dowry' harassment- Odisha CHSE 12th Result 2026 (OUT): Odisha Plus Two results out
Featured in world
- "Charlie was about to update his will": Candace Owens sparks backlash after explosive Charlie Kirk conspiracy claims on livestream
- Was Nina Lin arrested? Twitch streamer claims missed $4 scissors scan led to night in jail
- Tennessee man jailed for 37 days over Charlie Kirk meme to receive $835,000 settlement
- 'There won't be escalation': Donald Trump reacts to Raul Castro's indictment by DOJ
- Will Raúl Castro’s indictment push US and Cuba closer to war?
- Israeli parliament votes to advance bill to dissolve Knesset, paving way for early elections
Photostories
- Bella Hadid’s Cannes 2026 looks are a masterclass in quiet luxury glamour
- Morning affirmation at 5 am: What happens when your brain hears positive words before sunrise
- International Tea Day 2026: 6 culinary uses of tea leaves apart from making tea
- Exclusive - From Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah to Dhurandhar, Rakesh Bedi and Asit Kumarr Modi get candid about their bond and journey; actor reacts to David Dhawan’s remark
- Urvashi Rautela said ‘too much’ is the ultimate mood with not one but two extravagant gowns at Cannes 2026
- 8 strange and uncomfortable signs you are going through a quiet spiritual awakening
- 8 giraffe facts that shock even wildlife lovers
- 10 exercises that can keep the heart healthy
- Nidhi Kumar recreated Madhuri Dixit’s magic at Cannes 2026's red carpet — and the internet is officially obsessed
- 5 heaviest and biggest birds on earth: The real heavyweights of nature
Videos
06:13 Nancy Guthrie Case Twist? Ex-FBI Agent Says ‘Porch Guy’ May Be Just A Pawn | WATCH12:51 Netanyahu Attacks Own Minister, Orders Activists Release After Ben-Gvir Sparks Diplomatic Outrage08:09 Putin Stops Mid-Boarding; Walks Back For This Unexpected Move Before Departing Beijing Airport06:03 Hunter Biden Blasts 'Epstein Class', Admits Crack Addiction In Bombshell Candace Owens Podcast10:59 ‘Will Counter Hegemons’: Xi Jinping Unleashes Fiery Veiled Attack On U.S In Putin's Presence | WATCH10:54 Xi-Putin DEFEAT Trump On World Stage? ‘Just Like Iran, Time For…’: Beijing Bombshell ‘SHAKES’ US13:00 NATO Nation In Lockdown After Drone Strike; MPs, Ministers, Residents In Bomb Shelters | Lithuania10:55 Trump Stuns Netanyahu With Wild 'Next Israel PM' Joke On Live T.V.07:32 Trump’s ‘Rotting In Real Time’ Photos Spark Wild Internet Meltdown Before Medical Exam
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media