This story is from July 13, 2022
UK forces shot dead unarmed Afghan men in ‘cold blood’: Report
LONDON: Commandos in Britain’s elite Special Air Service (SAS) corps killed at least 54 Afghans in suspicious circumstances but the military chain of command concealed concerns, a BBC investigation said Tuesday.
Unarmed Afghan men were routinely shot dead “in cold blood” by SAS troops during night-time raids during the long war, and weapons were planted on them to justify the crimes, the four-year probe found.
Senior officers, including General Mark CarletonSmith, who headed UK Special Forces at the time, were aware of concerns within the SASbut failed to report them to military police, it said.
Under UK law governing the armed forces, it is a criminal offence for a commanding officer to fail to inform the military police if they become aware of potential war crimes, the BBC noted.
Carleton-Smith, who retired last month as head of the British army, declined to comment to the BBC programme “Panorama”, which said its probe was based on court documents, leaked emails and its own journalists’ travel to sites of the operations in Afghanistan. The ministry of defence said prior probes found insufficient evidence to bring charges. “No new evidence has been presented, but the police will consider any allegations should new evidence come to light,” it said.
IPL 2025 mega auction
Senior officers, including General Mark CarletonSmith, who headed UK Special Forces at the time, were aware of concerns within the SASbut failed to report them to military police, it said.
Under UK law governing the armed forces, it is a criminal offence for a commanding officer to fail to inform the military police if they become aware of potential war crimes, the BBC noted.
Carleton-Smith, who retired last month as head of the British army, declined to comment to the BBC programme “Panorama”, which said its probe was based on court documents, leaked emails and its own journalists’ travel to sites of the operations in Afghanistan. The ministry of defence said prior probes found insufficient evidence to bring charges. “No new evidence has been presented, but the police will consider any allegations should new evidence come to light,” it said.
Top Comment
Amit
865 days ago
War criminals. PM of Britain of that time should be punished with all those troopers.Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- Cargo plane skidded into house, burst into flames near Vilnius airport in Lithuania
- Why Elon Musk's ex-girlfriend and mother of his three children, Claire Grimes Boucher, says the SpaceX CEO is ‘not the man she fell in love with’
- Petition calling for another general election in UK crosses 1 million signatures, Elon Musk reacts
- Who was rabbi Kogan, Israeli-Moldovan citizen killed in UAE?
- Watch: Israeli fighter jets target 12 Hezbollah military command centres in Beirut
end of article
Trending Stories
- IPL Auction Live: Krunal Pandya joins Virat Kohli at RCB with Rs 5.75 crore bid
- IPL Auction 2025: Who got whom
- IPL 2025 Auction: Full List of Unsold Players, Base Prices, and Major Surprises
- Strike at Katra hits Vaishno Devi pilgrims hard
- Shreyas Iyer's IPL 2025 bidding war: A fierce battle between KKR, PBKS and DC
- Kavya Maran, Preity Zinta...- Who is sitting for each team in IPL Auction hall in Jeddah
- IPL 2025 Auction: What is RTM card and how does Right to Match work?
Visual Stories
- 10 ways to use pumpkin seeds
- 7 things that boys learn from their moms
- 10 Indian breakfast dishes loved across the world
- How to grow onion and garlic on your kitchen window
- Kid-friendly wildlife experiences in India
TOP TRENDS
UP NEXT