From prince to just Andrew, why King Charles III stripped off brother's royal titles
"Prince Andrew will now be known as Andrew Mountbatten Windsor," Buckingham Palace said last year. His elder brother King Charles III's decision to strip him off the royal titles came in the wake of scandal surrounding his ties to Jeffrey Epstein.
It began with a photograph. In March 2001, he was pictured in London with Virginia Giuffre — then known as Virginia Roberts — and Ghislaine Maxwell, in an image allegedly taken by convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. At the time, the photo drew little public attention. That would change years later, as Epstein’s criminal history resurfaced and allegations against powerful associates intensified.
Scrutiny deepened in December 2010 when Andrew was photographed walking with Epstein in New York’s Central Park, shortly after Epstein’s release from prison following a sexual offence conviction. The image triggered backlash in Britain.
In 2011, the Daily Mail published an interview with Giuffre alongside the 2001 photograph. Although the article stopped short of directly accusing Andrew of misconduct, it propelled allegations into mainstream.
Days later, Andrew allegedly emailed Epstein saying “we’re in this together” and “we’ll play some more soon,” referencing the negative press — messages that would later resurface in court filings, ABC news reported.
The controversy escalated in January 2015, when allegations that Andrew had sex with a minor were made public as part of a US lawsuit involving Epstein.
That same month, the Daily Mail identified Giuffre as the alleged victim and detailed the claims. Andrew repeatedly denied wrongdoing. Matters intensified again in July 2019 when Epstein was arrested on sex trafficking charges. After Epstein was found dead in his jail cell in August 2019, attention shifted sharply to his high-profile connections.
In November 2019, Andrew sought to quell the storm with a lengthy television interview on the BBC, denying the sexual abuse allegations, questioning the authenticity of the 2001 photograph and asserting that he had cut ties with Epstein in December 2010.
The interview was widely criticized. Within days, Andrew announced he would step back from public duties “for the foreseeable future,” acknowledging that his association with Epstein had become “a major disruption” to the royal family.
Legal pressure mounted in September 2021 when Giuffre filed a civil sexual assault lawsuit against Andrew in the United States. Although British police said in October 2021 they would take no further action after reviewing available evidence, a US judge in January 2022 rejected Andrew’s attempt to dismiss the civil case.
Shortly afterward, he was stripped of his honorary military titles and royal patronages, though he retained his status as a prince and the Duke of York.
In 2022 he agreed to pay Giuffre millions of dollars to settle her civil sexual assault lawsuit against him.
The fallout continued in subsequent years. In 2024, reports emerged that Andrew would have to personally fund the upkeep of the 30-room Royal Lodge if he wished to remain there.
Later disclosures in 2025 of court documents revealing an email stating “we’re in this together” — believed by British media to have been sent by Andrew — reignited scrutiny.
The death of Virginia Giuffre in April 2025, described by her family as a “fierce warrior in the fight against sexual abuse and sex trafficking,” closed a tragic chapter but did little to quiet debate over Andrew’s conduct and the monarchy’s handling of the scandal.
Taken together, the sequence of allegations, legal battles and public missteps gradually eroded Andrew’s official role within the royal family.
Andrew was arrested on Thursday, his 66th birthday, on suspicion of misconduct in public office as part of an investigation linked to his association with Jeffrey Epstein. He is believed to be the first senior member of the modern British royal family to be taken into police custody.
Born in 1960, Andrew was the second son of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, while his older brother Charles was heir to the throne. Like many younger royal sons before him, Andrew followed a traditional path into military service, only to be stripped off those titles later.
While he remains a prince by birth, the Epstein saga effectively ended his public career — a dramatic fall precipitated not by a single event, but by years of mounting controversy.
The ongoing police inquiry comes after newly released files connected to Jeffrey Epstein indicating that Andrew may have shared official government documents with the financier during his time as a trade envoy. He has not been charged with any offence and has consistently denied any wrongdoing in relation to his ties to Epstein.
Scrutiny deepened in December 2010 when Andrew was photographed walking with Epstein in New York’s Central Park, shortly after Epstein’s release from prison following a sexual offence conviction. The image triggered backlash in Britain.
In 2011, the Daily Mail published an interview with Giuffre alongside the 2001 photograph. Although the article stopped short of directly accusing Andrew of misconduct, it propelled allegations into mainstream.
Days later, Andrew allegedly emailed Epstein saying “we’re in this together” and “we’ll play some more soon,” referencing the negative press — messages that would later resurface in court filings, ABC news reported.
That same month, the Daily Mail identified Giuffre as the alleged victim and detailed the claims. Andrew repeatedly denied wrongdoing. Matters intensified again in July 2019 when Epstein was arrested on sex trafficking charges. After Epstein was found dead in his jail cell in August 2019, attention shifted sharply to his high-profile connections.
Andrew decides to step back from public duties
In November 2019, Andrew sought to quell the storm with a lengthy television interview on the BBC, denying the sexual abuse allegations, questioning the authenticity of the 2001 photograph and asserting that he had cut ties with Epstein in December 2010.
The interview was widely criticized. Within days, Andrew announced he would step back from public duties “for the foreseeable future,” acknowledging that his association with Epstein had become “a major disruption” to the royal family.
Ex-prince stripped off military titles, royal patronages
Legal pressure mounted in September 2021 when Giuffre filed a civil sexual assault lawsuit against Andrew in the United States. Although British police said in October 2021 they would take no further action after reviewing available evidence, a US judge in January 2022 rejected Andrew’s attempt to dismiss the civil case.
Shortly afterward, he was stripped of his honorary military titles and royal patronages, though he retained his status as a prince and the Duke of York.
In 2022 he agreed to pay Giuffre millions of dollars to settle her civil sexual assault lawsuit against him.
The fallout continued in subsequent years. In 2024, reports emerged that Andrew would have to personally fund the upkeep of the 30-room Royal Lodge if he wished to remain there.
Later disclosures in 2025 of court documents revealing an email stating “we’re in this together” — believed by British media to have been sent by Andrew — reignited scrutiny.
Giuffre dies
The death of Virginia Giuffre in April 2025, described by her family as a “fierce warrior in the fight against sexual abuse and sex trafficking,” closed a tragic chapter but did little to quiet debate over Andrew’s conduct and the monarchy’s handling of the scandal.
Taken together, the sequence of allegations, legal battles and public missteps gradually eroded Andrew’s official role within the royal family.
Andrew was arrested on Thursday, his 66th birthday, on suspicion of misconduct in public office as part of an investigation linked to his association with Jeffrey Epstein. He is believed to be the first senior member of the modern British royal family to be taken into police custody.
Born in 1960, Andrew was the second son of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, while his older brother Charles was heir to the throne. Like many younger royal sons before him, Andrew followed a traditional path into military service, only to be stripped off those titles later.
While he remains a prince by birth, the Epstein saga effectively ended his public career — a dramatic fall precipitated not by a single event, but by years of mounting controversy.
The ongoing police inquiry comes after newly released files connected to Jeffrey Epstein indicating that Andrew may have shared official government documents with the financier during his time as a trade envoy. He has not been charged with any offence and has consistently denied any wrongdoing in relation to his ties to Epstein.
Popular from World
- ‘Do not give away Diego Garcia’: Trump cautions UK amid US-Iran tensions
- Biggest air deployment in Middle East since 2003 Iraq invasion: US to strike Iran this week?
- Blackstone founder Stephen Schwarzman plans to donate his entire $48 billion fortune to a major philanthropic foundation
- US, Israel could launch major military operation against Iran 'very soon': Report
- Smoke in cockpit, engine failure: JetBlue flight turns back to Newark, prompts evacuation
end of article
Trending Stories
- Britain's ex-prince Andrew arrested over misconduct amid Epstein row
- 60TB billing data, 1.77 lakh restaurant IDs: How AI uncovered Rs 70,000 crore tax evasion scam starting with Hyderabad biryani chains
- 'Who will pay for it?': SC raps Tamil Nadu govt for promising free electricity; flags 'freebie' politics
- Why is stock market down today? Nifty50 goes below 25,600; BSE Sensex down over 80 points - top reasons for crash
- New Penal Code Issued: Taliban allows domestic violence; legal safeguards for women removed
- T20 World Cup 2026 Fixtures: Full Super 8 schedule for all teams with match timings and venues
- Income Tax notice alert! Senior executives with over Rs 50 lakh salaries under radar for ‘underreporting income’, misusing exemptions
Featured in world
- ‘Just bed and toilet’: No royal privileges for arrested ex-prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor
- Britain's ex-prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested over misconduct amid Epstein row
- Who is Nick Fuentes, the ‘white nationalist’ provocateur even MAGA won’t touch?
- 'Epstein sent woman, Andrew sent confidential documents': What UK Police is probing against ex-British prince
- Former royal prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested amid Epstein row: What we know so far
- What lies beneath Egypt’s Giza Pyramid: Satellite radar study claims vast underground structures
Photostories
- Kareena Kapoor Khan’s scarlet red moment is the perfect ode to Julia Roberts’ ‘Pretty Woman’ look
- PM Narendra Modi's India-AI Impact Summit-2026 dinner celebrated Shishir Ritu: Look what was served to delegates
- From Riteish Deshmukh to Rishab Shetty: Actors who portrayed and are set to depict Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj on screen
- 62,000 motorists ticketed: Massive traffic crackdown on Mumbai Coastal Road
- 5 things that make Kashmir a great March destination
- From divorce to deadly revenge: Pregnant Hyderabad techie's murder shocks Hyderabad IT community
- Top 5 real estate hubs in Indore in 2026: A guide for investors and homebuyers
- Marriage Horoscope 2026: Who may take the next step
- Spider-Man movies to watch on OTT in India before 'Spider-Man - Brand New Day' releases
- Which Hindu demon energy you have according to your birth number
Videos
11:43 BREAKING: Disgraced Ex-UK Royal Andrew Arrested Over Epstein Files Fallout28:18 'They Don't Own America, No Kings Here!': Bernie Thunders Against Oligarch In California | WATCH08:57 Nuke War Loading? Sat Images Show Iran Fortifying Military Sites Amid Rising U.S. Tensions12:49 'Wish They Had Accepted 1948 Plan': Lavrov On Israel-Palestine Conflict & How Arabs Erred03:14 A new low for women in Afghanistan: Taliban rules spark alarm over legalised domestic violence13:21 REVEALED:3 Options Trump Is Considering Against Iran; Inside Secret White House Meeting | WATCH04:52 'DESTROY THE ENEMY': U.S. Defence Chief Hegseth To Pentagon Commanders As Iran War Looms08:00 Iran Issues NOTAM Ahead Of Missile Launch; Tensions Peak As U.S. Military Buildup Continues13:14 Trump Warns Starmer Against Chagos Deal Ahead Of Potential Iran Strikes | DETAILS
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment