Pakistan partially stops mobile and internet services ahead of pro-Imran Khan protest
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan Sunday suspended mobile and internet services "in areas with security concerns" as supporters of imprisoned former premier Imran Khan geared up for a protest in the capital.
The government and Interior Ministry posted the announcement on social media platform X, which is banned in Pakistan. They did not specify the areas, nor did they say how long the suspension would be in place.
"Internet and mobile services will continue to operate as usual in the rest of the country," the posts said. A spokesperson for the Interior Ministry was not immediately available for comment.
Meanwhile, telecom company Nayatel sent out emails offering customers "a reliable landline service" as a workaround in the areas suffering suspended cellphone service.
Khan has been in prison for more than a year and has over 150 criminal cases against him. But he remains popular and his political party, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf or PTI, says the cases are politically motivated.
His supporters rely heavily on social media to demand his release and use messaging platforms like WhatsApp to share information, including details of events.
Pakistan has already sealed off the capital Islamabad with shipping containers and shut down major roads and highways connecting the city with PTI strongholds in the provinces of Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
The government is imposing social media platform bans and targeting VPN services, according to monitoring service Netblocks. On Sunday, Internet-access advocacy group, Netblocks said live metrics showed WhatsApp backends are restricted in Pakistan, affecting media sharing on the app.
The U.S. embassy issued a security alert for Americans in the capital, encouraging them to avoid large gatherings and warning that even "peaceful gatherings can turn violent."
Last month, authorities suspended the cellphone service in Islamabad and Rawalpindi to thwart a pro-Khan rally. The shutdown disrupted communications and affected everyday services such as banking, ride-hailing and food delivery.
The latest crackdown comes on the eve of a visit by Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko.
"Internet and mobile services will continue to operate as usual in the rest of the country," the posts said. A spokesperson for the Interior Ministry was not immediately available for comment.
Meanwhile, telecom company Nayatel sent out emails offering customers "a reliable landline service" as a workaround in the areas suffering suspended cellphone service.
Khan has been in prison for more than a year and has over 150 criminal cases against him. But he remains popular and his political party, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf or PTI, says the cases are politically motivated.
His supporters rely heavily on social media to demand his release and use messaging platforms like WhatsApp to share information, including details of events.
Pakistan has already sealed off the capital Islamabad with shipping containers and shut down major roads and highways connecting the city with PTI strongholds in the provinces of Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
The U.S. embassy issued a security alert for Americans in the capital, encouraging them to avoid large gatherings and warning that even "peaceful gatherings can turn violent."
Last month, authorities suspended the cellphone service in Islamabad and Rawalpindi to thwart a pro-Khan rally. The shutdown disrupted communications and affected everyday services such as banking, ride-hailing and food delivery.
The latest crackdown comes on the eve of a visit by Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko.
Top Comment
A WISE Indian
6 days ago
Same is happening in UP and Manipur. Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- Watch: Military vehicle mows down woman protesting rigged elections in Mozambique
- Tragic murder-suicide: Model kills husband before taking her own life in luxury Florida home
- 'Punched, kicked and stamped on her': Indian-origin man gets life sentence for brutal murder of girlfriend in UK
- 'He wasn't sorry': 72-year-old shot dead in Florida over loud music dispute
- Amid divorce rumors, Meghan Markle seeks more time from US authorities to correct this
end of article
Trending Stories
- Maharashtra CM pick: Day after Mahayuti leaders' meet, Eknath Shinde goes to his village, talks on govt pushed back
- Maharashtra government withdraws Rs 10 crore grant to Waqf Board; Fadnavis says order to be investigated
- Rob Gronkowski skips FOX Sunday after Terry Bradshaw’s apology to honor $16 Billion company commitment
- Margashirsha Amavasya on November 30, 2024: Timings, Rituals and Significance
- Reports indicate Deion Sanders is being considered for the head coaching position at the Dallas Cowboys, following Mike McCarthy's firing
- Daughter stripped, mother beaten by neighbours over water dispute in Navi Mumbai
- Atishi vows AAP won’t field candidate against BJP’s Vijender Gupta in Delhi elections—but on one condition
Visual Stories
- 10 foods that are typically loved in Mumbai
- How to make perfect street style Bhel Puri at home
- 10 golden rules families should have for happier homes
- 10 most delicious ways to cook Palak (spinach)
- Japanese mom turns simple dishes into adorable food art
TOP TRENDS
UP NEXT