Israel agrees to reopen Rafah crossing only for Gaza pedestrians
JERUSALEM: Israel said Monday it would only allow pedestrians to travel through the Rafah crossing between Gaza and Egypt as part of its "limited reopening" once it has recovered the remains of the last hostage in the Palestinian territory.
Reopening Rafah, a vital entry point for aid into Gaza, forms part of a truce framework announced by US President Donald Trump in October, but the crossing has remained closed since Israeli forces took control of it during the war in the Palestinian territory.
Visiting US envoys had reportedly pressed Israeli officials to reopen the crossing during talks in Jerusalem over the weekend.
World leaders and aid agencies have repeatedly pushed for more humanitarian convoys to be able to access Gaza, which has been left devastated by more than two years of war and depends on the inflow of essential medical equipment, food and other supplies.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said on Monday that Israel had agreed to a reopening "for pedestrian passage only, subject to a full Israeli inspection mechanism".
The move would depend on "the return of all living hostages and a 100 percent effort by Hamas to locate and return all deceased hostages", it said on X.
It remained unclear whether the reopening would allow medical patients to leave Gaza for treatment in Egypt or other countries.
The Israeli military said it was searching a cemetery in the Gaza Strip on Sunday for the remains of the last hostage, Ran Gvili.
"Upon completion of this operation, and in accordance with what has been agreed upon with the US, Israel will open the Rafah Crossing," said Netanyahu's office.
The announcement came after Gaza's newly appointed administrator, Ali Shaath, said the crossing would open "in both directions" this week.
"For Palestinians in Gaza, Rafah is more than a gate, it is a lifeline and a symbol of opportunity," Shaath said at the World Economic Forum in Davos on Thursday.
Israeli media had also reported that US envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner had urged Netanyahu to reopen Rafah during their Jerusalem talks.
Before the war erupted in October 2023, Rafah had been the only gateway connecting Gazans to the outside world and enabling international humanitarian aid to enter the territory, home to 2.2 million people living under Israeli blockade.
- Last hostage -
A spokesman for Hamas's Ezzedine Al-Qassam Brigades, Abu Obeida, said on Sunday that the group had "provided mediators with all the details and information in our possession regarding the location of the captive's body", referring to Gvili.
Obeida added that "the enemy (Israel) is currently searching one of the sites based on information transmitted by the Al-Qassam Brigades".
Except for Gvili, all of the 251 people taken hostage during Hamas's October 7, 2023 attack on Israel have since been returned, whether living or dead.
A non-commissioned officer in the Israeli police's elite Yassam unit, Gvili was killed in action on the day of the attack and his body was taken to Gaza.
The first phase of the US-backed ceasefire deal had stipulated that Hamas hand over all the hostages in Gaza.
Gvili's family has expressed strong opposition to launching the second phase of the plan, which includes reopening Rafah, before they have received his remains.
"First and foremost, Ran must be brought home," his family said in a statement on Sunday.
The Gaza war was sparked by Hamas's October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, which resulted in the deaths of 1,221 people, according to an AFP tally based on official Israeli figures.
The Israeli retaliation flattened much of Gaza, a territory that was already suffering severely from previous rounds of fighting and from an Israeli blockade imposed since 2007.
The two-year war between Israel and Hamas has left at least 71,657 people dead in Gaza, according to the territory's health ministry, figures considered reliable by the United Nations.
Visiting US envoys had reportedly pressed Israeli officials to reopen the crossing during talks in Jerusalem over the weekend.
World leaders and aid agencies have repeatedly pushed for more humanitarian convoys to be able to access Gaza, which has been left devastated by more than two years of war and depends on the inflow of essential medical equipment, food and other supplies.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said on Monday that Israel had agreed to a reopening "for pedestrian passage only, subject to a full Israeli inspection mechanism".
The move would depend on "the return of all living hostages and a 100 percent effort by Hamas to locate and return all deceased hostages", it said on X.
The Israeli military said it was searching a cemetery in the Gaza Strip on Sunday for the remains of the last hostage, Ran Gvili.
"Upon completion of this operation, and in accordance with what has been agreed upon with the US, Israel will open the Rafah Crossing," said Netanyahu's office.
The announcement came after Gaza's newly appointed administrator, Ali Shaath, said the crossing would open "in both directions" this week.
"For Palestinians in Gaza, Rafah is more than a gate, it is a lifeline and a symbol of opportunity," Shaath said at the World Economic Forum in Davos on Thursday.
Israeli media had also reported that US envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner had urged Netanyahu to reopen Rafah during their Jerusalem talks.
Before the war erupted in October 2023, Rafah had been the only gateway connecting Gazans to the outside world and enabling international humanitarian aid to enter the territory, home to 2.2 million people living under Israeli blockade.
- Last hostage -
A spokesman for Hamas's Ezzedine Al-Qassam Brigades, Abu Obeida, said on Sunday that the group had "provided mediators with all the details and information in our possession regarding the location of the captive's body", referring to Gvili.
Obeida added that "the enemy (Israel) is currently searching one of the sites based on information transmitted by the Al-Qassam Brigades".
Except for Gvili, all of the 251 people taken hostage during Hamas's October 7, 2023 attack on Israel have since been returned, whether living or dead.
A non-commissioned officer in the Israeli police's elite Yassam unit, Gvili was killed in action on the day of the attack and his body was taken to Gaza.
The first phase of the US-backed ceasefire deal had stipulated that Hamas hand over all the hostages in Gaza.
Gvili's family has expressed strong opposition to launching the second phase of the plan, which includes reopening Rafah, before they have received his remains.
"First and foremost, Ran must be brought home," his family said in a statement on Sunday.
The Gaza war was sparked by Hamas's October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, which resulted in the deaths of 1,221 people, according to an AFP tally based on official Israeli figures.
The Israeli retaliation flattened much of Gaza, a territory that was already suffering severely from previous rounds of fighting and from an Israeli blockade imposed since 2007.
The two-year war between Israel and Hamas has left at least 71,657 people dead in Gaza, according to the territory's health ministry, figures considered reliable by the United Nations.
Popular from World
- Indian‑origin doctor says her mother was ‘harassed’ by ICE agents in Texas: ‘Because she has an accent…’
- Ted Cruz says Navarro, JD Vance blocked India trade deal; mocks Trump tariffs in leaked audio
- Hindu man burnt to death in Bangladesh
- Kamala Harris explodes after ICU nurse shot by ICE agents, calls Minneapolis a ‘murderous occupation’
- Egypt’s ‘lost golden city’ resurfaces after 3,400 years and it’s rewriting history
end of article
Trending Stories
- “The writing just dries up”: Travis Kelce romance fuels debate as Taylor Swift fears her lyrical storytelling is fading
- Tom Brady may be feeling differently as Alix Earle reportedly "continues texting him" amid romance rumors
- Travis Kelce suffers another heartbreaking blow as doubts grow over his future while Taylor Swift stands beside him
- Is Sam Darnold married? Inside the Seahawks QB’s private romance with fiancée Katie Hoofnagle
- “He hasn’t felt this before”: Travis Kelce reportedly shaken as Taylor Swift puts their wedding on hold
- Who owns the Seattle Seahawks? Everything to know about the team’s ownership
- Matthew Stafford’s wife and daughters wow in stylish Rams coats, though color choice feels offbeat
Featured in world
- THIS world’s largest underground city under Cappadocia kept 20,000 people alive without seeing daylight
- Ramadan 2026: Expected dates, fasting hours, and seasonal shifts explained
- Frozen America: A brutal winter storm has gripped the United States - in pics
- World’s longest road tunnel takes drivers on a 20-minute journey without daylight beneath Norway’s mountains
- Dubai’s Gulfood 2026: Two venues, 8,500 exhibitors and the world’s biggest food show
- Qatar Labour Ministry urges worker safety amid dusty, windy conditions in Doha
Photostories
- Chennai’s Port–Maduravoyal Expressway takes shape as double-decker corridor over Cooum
- ‘Rang De Basanti’ to ‘Fighter’: Movies released on the 26 January window that evoked patriotic emotions over the years
- Timeless wheels, royal rides: A peek into Mumbai’s vintage car extravaganza
- Photos: State tableaux highlight culture, valor, and innovation — Republic Day 2026
- 10 best places to visit in February and March in India
- 10 most expensive teas in the world and have you tried any of these
- Frozen America: A brutal winter storm has gripped the United States - in pics
- India marks 77th Republic Day: 5 other nations that celebrate their Republic Day
- 8 restaurants and cafes in India which are older than Republic
- From ‘Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar’ to ‘Taare Zameen Par’: Inspiring Bollywood films that motivate students with the spirit of never giving up
Videos
14:17 Iran Strike Looms? Airlines Cancel Flights As Israel Signals Sensitive Period | WATCH14:45 'Enough, Throw Them Out Now...': Tim Walz Issues Roaring Ultimatum to Trump on Minneapolis ICE Ops10:33 'ICE Goons Can Kill Anybody': Minneapolis Explodes In Rage; Thousands Hit Streets, Blast Trump Ops13:24 Iran Simulates Strike On USS Abraham Lincoln | Here’s What The Video Shows | Watch10:55 Arctic Siege: Deadly Winter Storm Cripples U.S.; Millions Without Power From Texas To New England08:56 Lula Slams Trump’s ‘New UN’ Plan, Claims ‘Unilateralism Is Tearing Apart Global Order’09:06 Spain’s Sanchez Taunts Trump As NATO Nation Erupts Over US Plan To Invade Greenland09:38 Chilling Audio Of Trump’s Venezuela Operation Out; ‘Accept Offer Or We’ll Kill You’ | Watch08:44 Iran Threatens US Carrier With Drone Strike Video As IRGC Claims ‘Finger On The Trigger’
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment