Authorities search waters in the Maldives after 5 Italians were killed in a cave dive accident
ROME: An Italian expert joined police divers and rescue vessels for searches in the Maldives on Friday, a day after five Italian divers were killed in a scuba accident, authorities said.
Italy's Foreign Ministry said the five divers "apparently died while attempting to explore caves at a depth of 50 meters (164 feet)" on Thursday. It said the circumstances of their death remain under investigation.
Maldivian authorities said they launched a major rescue operation after the incident on Thursday, deploying boats, aircraft and dive teams to search the area. One diver was found dead in a deep underwater cave, with the body recovered from nearly 60 meters (200 feet) below the surface, the Maldives national defence force said in a statement.
The remaining four divers were believed to be inside the same cave, and additional teams and specialised equipment were being sent for what officials described as a dangerous, high-risk operation.
The Italian foreign ministry did not provide information on the recovery of bodies. It said an Italian expert was assisting the coast guard and Maldivian vessels in the search operation on Friday.
It said officials planned a dive to evaluate access to an underwater cave in the Vaavu Atoll, where the accident occurred, but rough weather conditions could delay the recovery.
The ministry added that Italy's ambassador to Colombo, who oversees relations with the Maldives, has travelled to the capital, Male, to meet with coast guard officials. The Italian Embassy was also in contact with the victims' families and assisting.
The group had been on a morning dive near Alimathaa and was reported missing after failing to surface by midday Thursday, according to initial reports. Conditions were described as unfavourable at the time, with a yellow weather alert in effect.
Maldivian authorities said they launched a major rescue operation after the incident on Thursday, deploying boats, aircraft and dive teams to search the area. One diver was found dead in a deep underwater cave, with the body recovered from nearly 60 meters (200 feet) below the surface, the Maldives national defence force said in a statement.
The remaining four divers were believed to be inside the same cave, and additional teams and specialised equipment were being sent for what officials described as a dangerous, high-risk operation.
The Italian foreign ministry did not provide information on the recovery of bodies. It said an Italian expert was assisting the coast guard and Maldivian vessels in the search operation on Friday.
It said officials planned a dive to evaluate access to an underwater cave in the Vaavu Atoll, where the accident occurred, but rough weather conditions could delay the recovery.
The ministry added that Italy's ambassador to Colombo, who oversees relations with the Maldives, has travelled to the capital, Male, to meet with coast guard officials. The Italian Embassy was also in contact with the victims' families and assisting.
Comments
Be the first to share a thought and become theFirst Voiceof this News Article
Popular from World
- The Diamond Sutra: The world’s oldest printed book was sealed inside a secret cave in China with thousands of ancient texts
- Lost beneath Sudan’s sands: Scientists discover 6,000-year-old massive monuments from a forgotten civilisation
- 400 employees became millionaires overnight when a founder sold his startup for $3.7 billion before its IPO
- Bad news for Indian Green Card applicants: Final Action Dates for EB-1, EB-2 retrogress in June 2026 visa bulletin
- Indian-origin doctor under probe for 'birth tourism' in San Jose: 'Foreign expectant mothers get extra service'
end of article
Trending Stories
- Kerala SSLC Result 2026 (OUT): Class 10 results out, pass percentage at 99.07%
- Bhojshala complex is temple of Goddess Vagdevi, Hindus have right to worship: Madhya Pradesh high court
04:11 Petrol, diesel prices hiked by Rs 3 per litre effective immediately; check rates in your city- CSK vs LSG: How Lucknow can make or break Chennai’s IPL 2026 playoff hopes?
- Noida woman, daughter-in-law of retired judge, found hanging 5 months after wedding
- ‘Dispute over money’: Accused in Delhi bus gang-rape case tell cops; what we know so far
- 'When I was in the air ...': UP’s ‘flying man’ survives 50ft storm lift, lands in field
Featured in world
- Imam, 54, who claimed ‘jinn powers’ jailed for life over abuse crimes against women and girls
- Buckingham Palace hosts historic meeting between King Charles and New Zealand’s Māori Queen
- ‘Xi would also like to see the Hormuz Strait open’: Trump on US-China talks
- "Why did the military prioritize Erika": Candace Owens claims Erika Kirk’s emotional WHCD shooting clip was strategically amplified
- Who is Chud the Builder? Controversial creator Dalton Eatherly linked to viral chaos and Tennessee shooting investigation
- Who is Empath Chan? Controversial streamer shuts down viral death rumors with blunt response
Photostories
- Upcoming OTT releases this week (may 15 to may 24): from ‘Dhurandhar 2’ to ‘Berlin 2’
- From Ronit Roy, Jannat Zubair, Arjun Bijlani to Tejasswi Prakash and more: TV stars who own lavish properties
- How to actually own your morning (Without the chaos)
- 'Karuppu' storms theatres after financial hurdles: Revisiting Suriya’s last five box office hits and flops
- Gurmukhi, wheat motifs and pind vibes: Roopi Gill brings Punjabi royalty to Cannes
- 10 mistakes new parents tend to make
- 7 animals that can live without a heart; these creatures will change how we think about life
- The silent killer behind sudden heart attacks: Why looking healthy no longer guarantees a healthy heart
- Sara Ali Khan's home is all about an artist's abode: 5 art inspirations that you must take away
- 5 water-rich seasonal fruits to add to your diet to beat the summer heat
Videos
11:43 Xi To Dump Putin & Mojtaba For US? Trump Predicts Major Gulf Oil Shift; ‘It’ll Happen’06:02 ‘Bare-Knuckle Trip’: Trump Faces Burner Phones, Security Chaos And Zero Privacy In Beijing | WATCH11:35 Hezbollah Avenges Israeli Strike On Beirut, 20-Year-Old IDF Soldier Killed In Mortar Attack12:51 'Don't Serve Zionists': Protesters Call For Israel Boycott; 'Gaza Genocide’ Protest Rock NATO Nation06:59 SHOCKING! Swastika Flag With Star Of David RAISED On NYU Campus As Students Watch; Mamdani Says…08:04 Trump Rushes To Build 10,000+ Cheap Missiles As Iran 'Burns' American War Machine In Mideast09:43 Trump's Shocking 'ANTI-NATO' Move From China; EXIT ANNOUNCEMENT Soon? ‘TROOPS OUT...’06:01 ‘Press Locked Out’: Secret Service Blocked And US Journalists Denied Access During Trump China Visit10:07 'Do You Bring Others Too?': Trump 'Jealous' During Xi's Private Garden Tour In Beijing
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media