China coal mine blast: 90 killed after gas explosion in Shanxi; rescue operations for trapped under way
A gas explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in Changzhi city in northern China has killed at least 90 people, AFP reported on Saturday.
The explosion in northern China's led to a major rescue operation after hundreds of workers were trapped underground, according to South China Morning Post.
The blast took place on Friday in Qinyuan county, around 520 km southwest of Beijing, shortly after the mine reportedly issued a carbon monoxide alert. At the time of the explosion, 247 workers were underground. Authorities have not yet clarified whether additional miners remain trapped.
Chinese president Xi Jinping directed rescuers to “make every effort” to locate the missing workers and ensure the aftermath is “properly handled.” He also called for strict accountability, saying those responsible for the accident must be held to account.
“All regions and departments must learn from the lessons of the accident, remain vigilant regarding workplace safety, thoroughly investigate, rectify all types of risks and hidden dangers, and resolutely prevent and curb the occurrence of major and serious accidents,” Xi said.
Xi additionally warned about seasonal weather risks, noting that China is entering its rainy season and urging authorities to strengthen flood prevention measures.
The warning comes days after severe rainfall in Shimen county in Hunan province left at least seven people dead and affected more than 100,000 residents. Local authorities said 14 people remain missing.
Chinese premier Li Qiang echoed Xi’s remarks, ordering authorities to spare no effort in searching for the missing miners. He also demanded a swift investigation into the cause of the blast and punishment for those found responsible.
Li further instructed the State Council’s workplace safety office to remind local administrations of their duty to investigate industrial accidents and “resolutely” prevent future disasters.
The death toll from the blast rose sharply from 8 to 90 overnight. State broadcaster CCTV said, "Reporters at the scene of the gas explosion at the Liushenyu Coal Mine... have learnt that the accident has claimed the lives of over 82 people," adding that rescue operations were still underway.
The explosion took place around 7:30 pm local time on Friday at the coal mine in Shanxi province in northern China.
The exact cause of the explosion is still under investigation.
Shanxi is China’s main coal-producing province and is larger than Greece. Around 34 million people live there. Last year, miners in the province extracted about 1.3 billion tons of coal, nearly one-third of China’s total coal output.
The blast took place on Friday in Qinyuan county, around 520 km southwest of Beijing, shortly after the mine reportedly issued a carbon monoxide alert. At the time of the explosion, 247 workers were underground. Authorities have not yet clarified whether additional miners remain trapped.
Chinese president Xi Jinping directed rescuers to “make every effort” to locate the missing workers and ensure the aftermath is “properly handled.” He also called for strict accountability, saying those responsible for the accident must be held to account.
“All regions and departments must learn from the lessons of the accident, remain vigilant regarding workplace safety, thoroughly investigate, rectify all types of risks and hidden dangers, and resolutely prevent and curb the occurrence of major and serious accidents,” Xi said.
Xi additionally warned about seasonal weather risks, noting that China is entering its rainy season and urging authorities to strengthen flood prevention measures.
The warning comes days after severe rainfall in Shimen county in Hunan province left at least seven people dead and affected more than 100,000 residents. Local authorities said 14 people remain missing.
Li further instructed the State Council’s workplace safety office to remind local administrations of their duty to investigate industrial accidents and “resolutely” prevent future disasters.
The death toll from the blast rose sharply from 8 to 90 overnight. State broadcaster CCTV said, "Reporters at the scene of the gas explosion at the Liushenyu Coal Mine... have learnt that the accident has claimed the lives of over 82 people," adding that rescue operations were still underway.
The explosion took place around 7:30 pm local time on Friday at the coal mine in Shanxi province in northern China.
The exact cause of the explosion is still under investigation.
Shanxi is China’s main coal-producing province and is larger than Greece. Around 34 million people live there. Last year, miners in the province extracted about 1.3 billion tons of coal, nearly one-third of China’s total coal output.
Comments (1)
A
AnkitaMost Interacted
1 hour ago
Very Sad!! China is also behaving like india , where theres no value of life !!!...Read More
Reply
0
Reply
Popular from World
- 'Go home' for Green Card rule: Immigration attorney Rahul Reddy explains what H-1B visa holders should do now
- Quote of the day by Vietnamese Communist revolutionary leader Ho Chi Minh: “To reap a return in ten years, plant trees. To reap a return in 100, cultivate the people.”
- Waiting for Green Card? Leave US first, re-enter with an immigrant visa
- Quote of the day by Amal Clooney: “If you’re a woman lying on the beach in the Maldives, you might want to know that a kilometer away, another woman is...”
- 10 countries with highest anaconda population in the world: From Brazil to French Guiana
end of article
Trending Stories
- "No one is selfish like this man": Cristiano Ronaldo’s championship post sparks heated social media storm
- Haley Kalil described ex-husband Matt Kalil's p*nis as "two Coke cans" on a livestream — and the law might be on her side
- Blake Lively’s apparent snub toward Travis Kelce sparks fresh tension ahead of Taylor Swift wedding to him
03:01 CBI arrests Pune-based woman for NEET UG physics paper 'leak'- Twisha Sharma death case: After 10 days on run, husband reaches Jabalpur court to surrender
- ‘Now that the cremation is over...’: Former India cricketer’s shocking disclosure about cricket commentary
- US-Iran War News Live Updates: Iran sets new Strait of Hormuz rules, requires vessel coordination and permits
Featured in world
- Watch: SpaceX Starship bursts into flames during fiery Indian Ocean splashdown after test flight
- YouTuber Danny Go’s son Isaac Coleman’s cause of death: Inside the 14-year-old’s battle with rare illness
- ChudTheBuilder may be released after reported $1M bond offer from crypto casino “Duel”
- YouTube star Danny Go mourns heartbreaking loss of 14-year-old son Isaac
- 'Go home' for Green Card rule: Immigration attorney Rahul Reddy explains what H-1B visa holders should do now
- Shocking reality of 100 families living beneath Manila highways in the Philippines
Photostories
- 5 everyday foods sitting in your fridge right now that may spike bad cholesterol
- Smart ways to use old dupatta as wall panel
- Thought of the day inspired by Bhagavad Gita: "Not every battle deserves your energy"
- America's best national parks for snake spotting
- 10 baby names that mean smart and intelligent
- Why some young adults need 3 or more BP medicines: Doctor explains the hidden condition many don’t know they have
- Morning affirmation at 5 am: The sunrise ritual people swear by for a calmer day
- 5 most visited tourist attractions in the USA and what travellers need to know
- From facing rejections over her dark skin tone to refusing a fairness cream ad film: When The Kerala Story 2 actress Ulka Gupta spoke about her struggles
- Cannes 2026: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan sets the red carpet on fire in a blue crystal gown by Amit Aggarwal
Videos
08:52 Trump Unloads On Iran, Big Declaration On Tehran's Nuclear Dream; ‘We Finally Stopped Them…’08:34 ‘You Haven’t Worked For Israel’: Iran’s Heartfelt Message For Tulsi Gabbard After Exiting Trump Govt08:31 ‘Want Iran’s Uranium? US Can Never…’: Mojtaba Aide LAUGHS OFF Trump’s ‘Dream Proposal’ In New Threat09:02 Rubio Warns Iran Of ‘PLAN B’ If Hormuz Payment Push Threatens Global Shipping Again08:03 Trump’s Don Jr. Slip-Up Sparks New Questions Ahead Of Health Test | WATCH08:22 Meet Abraham Williams: Tulsi Gabbard’s Husband Behind Her Shock Resignation, Battling Rare Cancer10:35 ‘Imagine Dead Kids…’: US Veteran STUNS Trump, Warns America In Fiery Speech From Iran’s Minab |Watch11:46 Putin Orders Urgent Action As Ukraine Hits Kids Inside College Dorm In Deadly Attack08:16 'Painful Revenge': Putin's Promise To Zelensky As Ukrainian Action Sparks Fury In Luhansk Region
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media