CHENNAI:
Tamil Nadu pacer T Natarajan, who was ruled out of the ongoing
Ranji Trophy season with an elbow injury, is set to undergo a surgery in Mumbai on Friday.
Natarajan, who grabbed headlines after he was bagged for Rs 3 crore by Kings XI Punjab in the last IPL, said he has been advised an elbow arthroscopy by a specialist in Mumbai.
"After examining reports, I was told that it was not advisable to carry on with the existing condition as the issue is with my bowling hand.
Thus, I have been asked to undergo an elbow arthroscopic surgery. I will be heading to Mumbai on Thursday and the surgery is on 24th. The last month or so has been quite tough for me. However, the TNCA has guided and supported me exceptionally through these difficult times," Natarajan told TOI.
A top TNCA official said Natarajan is expected to be out of action for six weeks post-surgery. "It's important to ensure that he recovers well as he is one of our key pacers. After surgery he will begin rehab in Chennai under the supervision of TNCA physios and trainers," said the official.
Natarajan, who had earlier missed the first two Ranji matches of the season with a knee injury, hopes to get back into top shape for the domestic limited-overs season.
"I have made quite a few comebacks. I'm mentally strong enough to overcome setbacks. I'm confident of recovering soon and be fit for the 50-overs and T20 competitions," said Natarajan, who claimed 24 wickets in eight matches in the last Ranji season.
TN, who find themselves in a must-win situation against Baroda in their last league match, have missed the services of their two key pacemen Natarajan and
Aswin Crist for the entire season. Meanwhile, it is learnt that right-arm pacer Crist is recovering well from his injury and is expected to start bowling in about two-three weeks' time.