MUMBAI:
Mitchell Marsh, who is set to play the role of third seamer for Australia in the forthcoming Test series, perhaps isn’t rated seriously by his fast bowling colleagues.
That became apparent when the allrounder, who hit an impressive 75 at No. 6 before opening the bowling for Australia on Day Two of their warm-up game against India A at the Brabourne Stadium here on Saturday, casually revealed that he hadn't yet been included in the WhatsApp group for the team's pacers.
“It's a pretty sour point at the moment (the exclusion).
I've been left out of the WhatsApp group again, for the fast bowling cartel for those that don't know. So I'm pretty flat - I don't really have much to say at the moment but hopefully the boys get around me,“ revealed Marsh, whose older brother, batsman Shaun is a part of the Aussie touring party too here.
Clearly, to not even be rated as a fast bowler at all, is unfair treatment for a man who has taken the new ball for his team in the ODIs in the past and has taken 29 wickets in 19 Tests.
“You're going to have to ask them (his colleagues, and the team management) because I don't know what I can do any more. I've done all I can,” he said, before clarifying that he was just being 'sarcastic' about it and there's no rift between him and his pace colleagues.
While he may not be in the same league as
Mitchell Starc,
Josh Hazlewood or even Jackson Bird, the 25-year-old does have the potential to improve his performances across formats. He has 41 wickets in 48 ODIs, and four in nine T20 Internationals) to show so far.
Marsh is hoping that the likes of Starc and Hazlewood will use reverse swing as a key weapon to dismiss the formidable Indian batting line-up in the series. “It's (reverse swing) going to be huge,” he said.