300+ military drones & Iran links: Did Cuba plan a strike on a US naval base?
The Trump administration is increasingly viewing Cuba as a potential security threat after classified intelligence suggested Havana had acquired more than 300 military drones and discussed possible drone warfare scenarios involving American targets, according to a report by Axios.
The report, citing classified intelligence and senior US officials, said Cuban authorities had recently discussed plans that could involve attacks on the US naval base at Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, US military vessels and even Key West in Florida in the event of escalating hostilities.
A senior US official cited by Axios said that Washington was concerned about “those types of technologies being that close” to the United States, particularly amid the alleged presence of Iranian military advisers in Havana and Cuba’s growing defence ties with Russia and Iran.
“When we think about those types of technologies being that close, and a range of bad actors from terror groups to drug cartels to Iranians to the Russians, it's concerning," the official said.
"It's a growing threat."
CIA director John Ratcliffe travelled to Cuba on Thursday and warned Cuban officials against engaging in hostilities.
He also urged Havana to abandon its “totalitarian government” to end crippling US sanctions.
A CIA official quoted by Axios said Ratcliffe made clear that “Cuba can no longer serve as a platform for adversaries to advance hostile agendas in our hemisphere”.
"The Western Hemisphere cannot be our adversaries' playground", the official added.
US justice department plans to unseal an indictment against former Cuban leader Raúl Castro over the 1996 downing of two aircraft operated by the Miami-based aid group Brothers to the Rescue.
According to Reuters, US officials had earlier indicated plans to indict Castro, a move that would sharply escalate tensions between Washington and Havana.
Cuban foreign minister Bruno Rodríguez Parrilla accused the US of fabricating a “fraudulent case” to justify sanctions and possible military intervention.
“Cuba neither threatens nor desires war,” Rodriguez said in a social media post, adding that the country prepares itself to confront external aggression under its “right to legitimate self-defence recognised by the UN Charter”.
Cuba’s embassy also issued a statement on X saying the island had the right to defend itself against external aggression. However, it did not directly deny possessing attack drones.
Cuba has been acquiring attack drones from Russia and Iran since 2023 and storing them at strategic locations across the island. The report also alleged that Cuban officials were studying Iran’s tactics in resisting US pressure.
The concerns come amid heightened focus on drone warfare following Iran’s use of drones during recent tensions with the US and Israel in the Middle East.
Despite the concerns, US officials said they do not believe Cuba poses an imminent military threat comparable to the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis.
One senior official said, “No one’s worried about fighter jets from Cuba,” but added that the island’s proximity to the US remained a major concern.
A senior US official cited by Axios said that Washington was concerned about “those types of technologies being that close” to the United States, particularly amid the alleged presence of Iranian military advisers in Havana and Cuba’s growing defence ties with Russia and Iran.
“When we think about those types of technologies being that close, and a range of bad actors from terror groups to drug cartels to Iranians to the Russians, it's concerning," the official said.
"It's a growing threat."
CIA chief visits Cuba amid growing pressure
CIA director John Ratcliffe travelled to Cuba on Thursday and warned Cuban officials against engaging in hostilities.
He also urged Havana to abandon its “totalitarian government” to end crippling US sanctions.
"The Western Hemisphere cannot be our adversaries' playground", the official added.
US justice department plans to unseal an indictment against former Cuban leader Raúl Castro over the 1996 downing of two aircraft operated by the Miami-based aid group Brothers to the Rescue.
Cuba rejects allegations
Cuban foreign minister Bruno Rodríguez Parrilla accused the US of fabricating a “fraudulent case” to justify sanctions and possible military intervention.
Cuba’s embassy also issued a statement on X saying the island had the right to defend itself against external aggression. However, it did not directly deny possessing attack drones.
Drone warfare fears and Russia ties
The concerns come amid heightened focus on drone warfare following Iran’s use of drones during recent tensions with the US and Israel in the Middle East.
Despite the concerns, US officials said they do not believe Cuba poses an imminent military threat comparable to the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis.
One senior official said, “No one’s worried about fighter jets from Cuba,” but added that the island’s proximity to the US remained a major concern.
Comments (24)
A
Anuj Kumar SharmaMost Interacted
3 hours ago
America is struggling hard to find an escape route from the defeat it is scaring at in middle east. so Cuba is the next target now...Read More
2 Replies
4
1
Reply
Popular from Business
- India among fastest-growing steel market as global prices rise: Goldman Sachs
- CCPA issues notices to Amazon, Flipkart, Meesho and JioMart over 'cyclosinone herbicide' sale
- India’s next manufacturing push: Why the government is identifying 100 products to cut import dependence
- Petrol, diesel price hike: App based gig workers call for nationwide strike
- With better than Rajdhani experience & 160 kmph speed, can Vande Bharat sleeper trains be a game-changer for Indian Railways?
end of article
Trending Stories
- Why is stock market down today? Sensex, Nifty crash over 1%, Rs 7 lakh crore wiped out - top reasons for fall
- Stock Market Live Updates: BSE Sensex, Nifty50 set for a muted start as crude oil prices touch 2-week high
- With better than Rajdhani experience & 160 kmph speed, can Vande Bharat sleeper trains be a game-changer for Indian Railways?
- Trains at 220 kmph on Indian Railways soon! Cabinet approves Ahmedabad-Dholera semi high-speed rail project; check details
- Stock Market Live Updates: BSE Sensex opens over 250 points up; Nifty50 goes above 23,450 as global crude oil prices climb down
- From consultations with India Inc to protecting forex: what next after PM Modi's appeal on gold, work from home - 10 things to know
- Why is stock market crashing today? Sensex drops over 800 points - Rs 5 lakh crore investors wealth wiped out - top reasons for all
Photostories
- Kareena Kapoor Khan to Kriti Sanon: Indian actresses who have never made a Cannes appearance
- 7 beautiful flowers that bloom all year and keep your garden colourful
- Heart disease is no longer waiting for old age: How everyday habits are damaging younger hearts in India
- How old is the world's largest tree? 5 facts that inspire travellers to see it
- Janhvi Kapoor’s home is all about adding persona in contemporary design: Art inspirations you can take away
- What happens when you knead roti dough with paneer whey (paneer ka paani)
- 6 things fathers should never do in front of their daughters
- How crickets are good for your garden (and why you shouldn't kill them)
- Hollywood celebrities who fought skin cancer and changed their habits: Hugh Jackman, Gordon Ramsay and more
- 10 high-protein air fryer snacks that take only 10 minutes
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media