Ranchi: Drivers of Ranchi Municipal Corporation (RMC) city buses staged a protest on Friday, demanding reassignment or alternate employment after 17 buses were taken off the roads following failed re-registrations.
The buses, part of the fleet since 2010, were declared non-operational in July, leaving long-serving staff without work. Many of the drivers said that they had been caught off guard by the abrupt removal.
“I have been driving RMC city buses for 15 years. Suddenly, we are told there is no work. They should have informed us earlier. My house rent is pending, and I am unable to pay my children’s school fees,” said Ramesh Nath, one of the agitating drivers. Another driver, Dipu Kumar, alleged that while the corporation cited regulatory reasons, no alternative arrangements were made for them.
RMC officials said the city earlier had 47 buses, of which 17 have now been phased out, leaving only 30 operational on city routes. Commuters, too, expressed concern over the shrinking fleet. “Already buses were limited, now with fewer vehicles, we are forced to depend on autos or spend extra on cabs,” said Anjali Sinha, a commuter from Kantatoli.
Confirming the phase-out, Sanjay Kumar, additional municipal commissioner of RMC, said, “The 17 buses had finished their 15-year tenure and could not be allowed to run beyond permit time. These buses were earlier operated through an agency, which we have taken back now. We have submitted a proposal to the department for the procurement of more buses in the city.”
Start a Conversation
Post comment