Raipur: Three sanitation workers died after allegedly inhaling toxic gas while cleaning a septic tank at a private hospital in Raipur on Tuesday night, triggering outrage among relatives who accused the hospital management and contractor of sending them in without safety gear.
Amid rising anger, the hospital management announced a compensation of Rs 30 lakh each to the families of the deceased, a senior member of hospital management told TOI. Besidies, the compensation includes provision of Rs 20,000 per month towards the education of the victims' children and offer free treatment to an immediate family member in case of illness.
The incident took place at the biggest private hospital near Pachpedi Naka.
The workers were identified as Govind Sendre, Anmol Majhi and Satyam Kumar, all stated to be residents of the Simran City area.
According to preliminary accounts, the men were engaged in cleaning work inside the hospital's septic tank area when one of them reportedly collapsed after entering the chamber around 7.30 pm on Tuesday. The others went in one after another to rescue him, but they too were overcome by the gas.
The deaths sparked chaotic scenes outside the hospital, where grieving relatives gathered in large numbers, alleging gross negligence and demanding strict action against those responsible.
Family members alleged that the workers were made to enter the tank without oxygen masks, gas detectors or other mandatory safety equipment. Some alleged that trained personnel were not deployed and ordinary labourers were used for the hazardous task to cut costs.
Prolonged chaos and protests on hospital premises continued till late night amid huge police security at the spot.
Hospital authorities, however, said the maintenance work had been outsourced to an external contractor and that responsibility for deployment, supervision and compliance with safety norms lay with the agency concerned. A member of the hospital management said the work had been contracted out as had been done earlier too, and that the contractor's responsibility was clearly mentioned in the agreement.
An official statement issued by the hospital said three workers engaged in essential maintenance activities at its sewage treatment plant had faced a "critical emergency" during routine operations.
The management said emergency response teams were pressed into service immediately and that it was cooperating fully with police and other authorities. It also said an internal inquiry had been initiated.
Police and district authorities have started an investigation into the cause of the deaths and the allegations of negligence. Relatives of the victims have demanded criminal action against those responsible.