'Will be credited in FASTag accounts': 1.2 lakh commuters set to receive Rs 5.2cr in toll refund for 32-hour Mumbai-Pune expressway gridlock
PUNE: At least 1.2 lakh commuters would soon receive refunds totalling Rs 5.16 crore for toll collected during the 32-hour traffic gridlock after a gas tanker turned on its side near Khopoli on the Mumbai-Pune expressway on Feb 3, MSRDC officials said on Saturday.
The refunds would cover tolls on both the expressway and the Pune-Bengaluru highway. “We have the data of the commuters from whom toll was collected even after orders were issued to suspend it following the gas tanker mishap. The amount will be reimbursed to commuters in their FASTag accounts in the coming week,” an MSRDC official told TOI.
Last week, Maharashtra State Road Development Cor-poration (MSRDC) had assured that it would return the toll money collected during the traffic disruption on the Mumbai leg of the expressway for over a day. MSRDC had also sought detailed FASTag deduction data from its concessionaire, IRB Infrastructure, after toll collection was halted in view of the mishap and the resultant traffic jam.
The official said IRB was told to clarify whether toll was collected despite being informed to suspend the collection. “It is believed that till the barriers were opened, there might have been transactions where funds were deducted from FASTag. We had sought data on the number of commuters whose money was deducted after the order was issued to suspend the toll collection. Those amounts will be refunded,” he said.
The Feb 3 mishap resulted in severe congestion, leaving thousands of commuters stranded on the expressway without basic amenities. Travellers, including senior citizens, women and children, faced significant hardships, with many forced to cancel plans. Public anger grew when reports emerged that toll collection persisted at the Khalapur plaza for some time.
Opposition politicians, including MNS chief Raj Thackeray, had then demanded that MSRDC, IRB and the traffic police ensure refunds to the affected commuters. The mishap also highlighted gaps in expressway infrastructure, including inadequate amenities and poor emergency response mechanisms. Critics accused authorities of prioritising toll collection over commuter welfare.
Activist groups, Akhil Bharatiya Grahak Panchayat and All India Consumer Rights Organisation, have also issued legal notices to MSRDC and disaster management officials, seeking accountability and the creation of clear policies to prevent such incidents across national highways. Their representative Vijay Sagar told TOI that the notice sought to fix responsibility for the failure to provide essential facilities to commuters during the 32-hour standstill. It also recommends formulation of a clear policy and concrete measures to prevent similar hardships in the future, not only on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway but on highways across the country.
Last week, Maharashtra State Road Development Cor-poration (MSRDC) had assured that it would return the toll money collected during the traffic disruption on the Mumbai leg of the expressway for over a day. MSRDC had also sought detailed FASTag deduction data from its concessionaire, IRB Infrastructure, after toll collection was halted in view of the mishap and the resultant traffic jam.
The official said IRB was told to clarify whether toll was collected despite being informed to suspend the collection. “It is believed that till the barriers were opened, there might have been transactions where funds were deducted from FASTag. We had sought data on the number of commuters whose money was deducted after the order was issued to suspend the toll collection. Those amounts will be refunded,” he said.
The Feb 3 mishap resulted in severe congestion, leaving thousands of commuters stranded on the expressway without basic amenities. Travellers, including senior citizens, women and children, faced significant hardships, with many forced to cancel plans. Public anger grew when reports emerged that toll collection persisted at the Khalapur plaza for some time.
Opposition politicians, including MNS chief Raj Thackeray, had then demanded that MSRDC, IRB and the traffic police ensure refunds to the affected commuters. The mishap also highlighted gaps in expressway infrastructure, including inadequate amenities and poor emergency response mechanisms. Critics accused authorities of prioritising toll collection over commuter welfare.
Activist groups, Akhil Bharatiya Grahak Panchayat and All India Consumer Rights Organisation, have also issued legal notices to MSRDC and disaster management officials, seeking accountability and the creation of clear policies to prevent such incidents across national highways. Their representative Vijay Sagar told TOI that the notice sought to fix responsibility for the failure to provide essential facilities to commuters during the 32-hour standstill. It also recommends formulation of a clear policy and concrete measures to prevent similar hardships in the future, not only on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway but on highways across the country.
You Can Also Check: Pune AQI
|
Bank Holidays in Pune |
Gold Rate Today in Pune |
Silver Rate Today in Pune
Top Comment
S
Swamy Rajesh
4 hours ago
A welcome move 😀Read allPost comment
Popular from City
- Horrific double murder in Delhi: Woman, daughter killed in Sarita Vihar; bodies found in bed box
- Honesty pays: When bus passenger made digital payment of Rs 62k for Rs 6 ticket in Bengaluru
- BJP expresses gratitude to Giani Raghbir Singh for refusing to blame RSS and BJP for Dec 2 hukamnama
- Sisters, aged 25 and 23, found dead a day before wedding in Jodhpur; no suicide note recovered
- Regular Trichy-Tambaram train to begin on March 1
end of article
Trending Stories
- T20 World Cup, Super 8s: Clinical South Africa crush India by 76 runs
- Zoe Atkin Family: Meet the Winter Olympics freestyle skier's parents, her sister Izzy Atkin, their bond and more
- T20 World Cup: Archer, Jacks shine as England seal 51-run victory over Sri Lanka
- CBSE Class 10 English question paper 2026: Download PDF, students call exam easy
03:16 Delhi on high alert: Hawk eye on vehicles entering city after intelligence reports suggest possible terror attack06:48 'They bombed our civilian compatriots': 'Dozens' killed after Pakistan conducts airstrikes in Afghanistan- Trump’s 15% global tariffs: India, US to reschedule chief negotiators meet on interim trade deal
Featured in city
- 3 teachers, peon held for raping minor in school over 2 years in Odisha
09:31 'Poured sanitiser on her private parts, set them on fire': Tripura teen brutally assaulted by live-in partner in Gurgaon03:16 Delhi on high alert: Hawk eye on vehicles entering city after intelligence reports suggest possible terror attack05:35 82 km in 40 mins, top speed 159 kmph: Namo Bharat blazes through pre-launch trial from Delhi to Meerut- Ahmedabad customs intercepts passenger who swallowed 135g of gold to smuggle
- 14 injured after LPG cylinder explodes during fire in Majlis Park building in Delhi
Photostories
- Backless Gucci, Marilyn Monroe vibes: Alia Bhatt steals the BAFTAs red carpet
- This Kala Chana Chaat offers 20 g of protein; recipe inside
- 7 must-have features in a car for long-distance travel
- Prestige invests Rs 120 crore in Namma Metro’s Blue Line station upgrade in Bengaluru: What can commuters expect?
- ‘Munna Bhai M.B.B.S.’, ‘Sarfarosh’, ‘Talaash’: Films where Nawazuddin Siddiqui appeared briefly and almost no one noticed
- 9 super easy mushroom snacks for house parties
- What is rental yield and how is it calculated
- Delhi Metro’s 9.9-km Deepali Chowk–MajlIs Park stretch nears launch; big traffic relief on outer ring road
- 10 countries with the most unusual flags in the world
- Remebering the late Gene Hackman, his wife Betsy Arakawa and the life they built
Videos
09:31 Tripura Teen Brutally Assaulted By Live-In Partner In Gurugram, Mother Recalls Chilling Phone Call03:24 ‘Raise Pride Of Both Nations’: PM Modi Lauds Indian-Origin Players In Foreign Teams At T20 WC12:32 ‘Gandi Aur Nangi Rajneeti’: PM Modi Slams Congress Over ‘Shirtless’ Protest At AI Summit05:35 PM Modi Inaugurates India’s Fastest Metro In Meerut, Namo Bharat Corridor07:00 Jairam Ramesh Questions Modi Govt On US Trade Deal, Tariffs And Russia Oil Claims04:04 “World Will See AI Differently”: PM Modi On AI Impact Summit In Mann Ki Baat08:21 "With India, It's Different" Lula Hits Out At Global Powers, Eyes $20B India-Brazil Trade Milestone05:21 Lula Visit Marks “Defining Moment”, Goyal Pushes For Deeper India-Brazil Business Ties03:37 Lula Calls It A “Very Promising Day” As India-Brazil Ties Move Towards Stronger Economic Partnership
Up Next