This story is from August 17, 2016
NMMC gives 24-hr eviction notice to dangerous bldgs
Navi Mumbai: The civic administration has served 24-hour notice period for eviction to buildings categorized as most dangerous and not suitable for occupancy on Tuesday. The civic body is not taking any chance after the multi-storey building collapse in Bhiwandi earlier this month.
A total of 37 buildings, spread across the eight wards, have been categorized as extremely dangerous by NMMC. These buildings, as per the civic body, cannot be repaired and have to be demolished immediately. (see box)
“A list of dilapidated buildings was declared prior to monsoon which had categories C1, C2 A, C2 B and C3. Buildings under C1 category are beyond the scope of repairs and renovation. These buildings pose high risk of collapse especially during monsoon. To avoid repeat of incidents seen in other corporations, ward offices have been instructed to issue the eviction notices,” said Ankush Chavan, additional commissioner, NMMC.
Water and electric supply of the residents who don’t evacuate within the given time will be disconnected, said sources, adding that the officials are also seeking police department’s assistance.
But residents of these buildings are worried as the civic body has no policy to rehabilitate the affected persons. “There is no policy wherein NMMC is required to rehabilitate occupants of buildings that are declared dangerous. Our focus is to ensure that residents are not harmed. If the building collapses, then the civic body is held responsible for failing to evacuate,” said Chavan.
Faced with the prospects of losing their homes, residents are hoping that proposals for redevelopment are approved at the earliest. “Considering that NMMC has no plans to rehabilitate and there are no transit camps available, the civic body should at least work towards clearing the proposals for redevelopment pending with the special committee,” said Joseph Reddy, advocate representing 8 associations comprising of 117 JN-type buildings in Vashi declared dangerous.
He added that this will give some kind of assurance to the occupants who are now forced to look for alternate accommodation at their own expense.
“A list of dilapidated buildings was declared prior to monsoon which had categories C1, C2 A, C2 B and C3. Buildings under C1 category are beyond the scope of repairs and renovation. These buildings pose high risk of collapse especially during monsoon. To avoid repeat of incidents seen in other corporations, ward offices have been instructed to issue the eviction notices,” said Ankush Chavan, additional commissioner, NMMC.
Water and electric supply of the residents who don’t evacuate within the given time will be disconnected, said sources, adding that the officials are also seeking police department’s assistance.
But residents of these buildings are worried as the civic body has no policy to rehabilitate the affected persons. “There is no policy wherein NMMC is required to rehabilitate occupants of buildings that are declared dangerous. Our focus is to ensure that residents are not harmed. If the building collapses, then the civic body is held responsible for failing to evacuate,” said Chavan.
Faced with the prospects of losing their homes, residents are hoping that proposals for redevelopment are approved at the earliest. “Considering that NMMC has no plans to rehabilitate and there are no transit camps available, the civic body should at least work towards clearing the proposals for redevelopment pending with the special committee,” said Joseph Reddy, advocate representing 8 associations comprising of 117 JN-type buildings in Vashi declared dangerous.
He added that this will give some kind of assurance to the occupants who are now forced to look for alternate accommodation at their own expense.
Top Comment
Lawshastra
3025 days ago
I AGREE WITH ADVOCATE JOSEPH REDDY. IT IS CIDCO WHICH HAS EITHER CONSTRUCTED OR LET EVERY BUILDING VIOLATE INTERNAL STRUCTURE NORMS AND OVER A PERIOD OF TIME THESE BUILDINGS POSE DANGER TO EVERY RESIDENT.Read allPost comment
Popular from City
- Original form of Sambhal mosque lost: ASI official
- 'Limbs broken, blood-soaked body dumped': 3-year-old girl raped, murdered in Haryana's Nuh
- Bangladesh stops 63 Iskcon monks from crossing over to India
- Karnataka rain: Schools, colleges shut in 5 districts today
- 'Escort' takes techie for a ride, extorts Rs 8.1 lakh with help of fake cop
end of article
Trending Stories
- ONS will open up a wealth of knowledge previously inaccessible to many: UGC Chairman
- SSB Odisha Police admit card 2024 released at odishapolice.gov.in: Check steps to download hall ticket
- 1st group from Shambhu to spend night on road
- The book written by Hindu Guru that Apple founder Steve Jobs ordered to be given at his memorial service
- Canada's scrapping of SDS visa to help Indian students: Government in Lok Sabha
- Mumbai court issues contempt notice to Google CEO Sundar Pichai over “Pakhandi Baba ki Kartut” video
- Long queue at Petrapole border checkpost as Bangladeshi nationals rush to go back home
Visual Stories
- 9 reasons to eat beetroot daily
- How to grow Kiwi from seeds in the balcony garden
- 10 street foods to enjoy in Jaipur
- Sitaphal benefits: 10 reasons to have custard apple
- 10 foods that are typically loved in Mumbai
TOP TRENDS
UP NEXT