Nashik: The Special Investigation Team's (SIT) cyber cell has so far deleted 4,650 online links containing objectionable videos of rape survivors in the cases against Nashik astrologer Ashok Kharat.
"Another 450 social media accounts where such objectionable videos and content was found to be repeatedly posted, have been permanently deleted," SIT chief Tejaswi Satpute said in her first media briefing in Nashik on Tuesday ever since the SIT took over the investigation of the high-profile case on March 20.
Watch
'Your Husband Will Die’ Retired Navy Officer Turned Astrologer Used Fear To Rape, Blackmail Woman
The 24-member SIT _ involving two Deputy Superintendents of Police, three police inspectors (PIs) and assistant PIs each, 10 police sub-inspectors and six station house officers (amaldars) _ has so far recorded statements of 30 witnesses, including the victims.
"The same has indicated how Kharat was taking advantage of people, who believed in his ‘divine abilities' to extract money and putting them and their close relatives under the fear of death to sexually exploit the women and consistently spreading superstition through his activities at the Ishaneshwar temple (founded by him at Mirgaon in Sinnar tehsil of Nashik district)," the SIT chief said.
Satpute preferred not to get into the details of the investigation done so far, citing the "highly sensitive nature of these cases" and the "need to protect the right to life, dignity and confidentiality of the women, who have shown immense courage in coming forward to lodge complaints in these cases."
"The Supreme Court and the High Courts, through multiple rulings, have consistently adopted an ‘absolute ban on identity disclosure' approach in cases of this nature. As probe agency, there are limitations on how much information we can disclose at this stage till we file chargesheets in all these cases," the SIT chief said.
"Considering that we have a 60-day window to file chargesheet in each case, we now have 40 days left to file chargesheet in the first case that was registered on March 17 and another one week or so to file chargesheets in each of the cases registered subsequently," she said.
"The courts have also put restrictions on media trials, interviews with the victim or their families. As such, it is every person's moral duty to ensure that the identities of the victims are not disclosed, their objectionable video content is not spread through social media and such videos are not kept in possession," she said.
Section 72 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) makes revealing the identity of a victim of sexual offences a punishable crime. "Already, six people have so far been arrested in two cases registered by Satpur police in Nashik and Kopargaon police in Ahilyanagar regarding posting of objectionable videos linked to the Kharat case on social media," she pointed out.
Referring to repeated questions from various quarters about why the SIT was not summoning functionaries, govt officials and others associated with Kharat, for questioning, Satpute said, "Our investigation is progressing based on the statements of the victims and the witnesses and appreciation of evidence collected from the same. We are investigating if there are others who helped Kharat in creating the ecosystem that facilitated his activities and we will determine such complicity based on evidence," Satpute said.
"The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has taken cognisance of Kharat's economic transactions and the properties acquired by him and we have shared all such information that was sought by the ED to them and will cooperate with their investigation," she said.
(Properties in Kharat's Name)
An SIT officer, who did not wish to be named, toldTOI, "We have collected from the Inspector General of Registration (IGR) sources the records of more than 100 properties that are in Kharat's name and have handed over the same to the ED. Also, we have found over 100 bank accounts in which Kharat is named as nominee."
(CDR Leak)
On the issue of call data records (CDR) containing information about Kharat's contact with other people, getting into the hands of private individuals, Satpute maintained that an inquiry is already going on at the govt level. "The outcome of such an inquiry will be made known to people at an apt time," she added.
The CDR issue kicked up a major controversy after activist Anjali Damani on April 3 alleged that she received the CDRs from anonymous sources showing that deputy chief minister Eknath Shinde made 17 calls to Kharat in the past. Several other politicians also allegedly contacted Kharat during an unspecified period, she claimed.
(The Kharat Files)
# Total number of cases registered against Nashik astrologer Ashok Kharat:12
# Cases not registered against Kharat but connected to the overall issue:2
#11 cases being investigated by SIT, another two by Ahilyanagar police and one by Nashik police
#Eight of the 11 cases with SIT are related to sexual exploitation of women
# Remaining three involve offences under Black Magic Act, cheating, money lending and economic crimes