MUMBAI: Showing resolve, Israelis at the Nariman House have said they won't leave the city and will restore the building, damaged by terrorists in the last month's strikes, on their own.
"We are emotionally attached to the building, to the city and so we will not leave the city and hope that no such situation arises again in the future," building in-charge, Levi Jurkowicz said.
"Once we get possession of the building, we will investigate and then restore it but definitely not demolish it," Jurkowicz said.
A demolition team of 20 people headed by D D Kanthari, an assistant engineer of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), on Tuesday went to pull down the damaged portions of Nariman House, one of the sites where terrorists were holed up for three days, in Colaba.
"A portion of the extended wall on the fourth and fifth floors was in a dangerous position and the compound wall had broken down, so we removed those parts," Kanthari said, adding "the wall had developed cracks due to the grenade attack and the windows and doors were damaged due to firing."
The remaining work will be conducted by Israelis after they get possession, he said.
On reports that there was tension between the inhabitants of the building and the visiting team, Jurkowicz said he had no problems with the officials.
"I knew the purpose for which they came here and hence I had absolutely no problems with them and we worked together yesterday," he said.