Continue on TOI App
Open App
OPEN APP

ED opposes pre-arrest bail pleas of NCP MLA Hasan Mushrif's 3 sons in laundering case

Opposing the anticipatory bail pleas of the three sons of NCP MLA... Read More
MUMBAI: Opposing the anticipatory bail pleas of the three sons of NCP MLA Hasan Mushrif, the Enforcement Directorate (ED), which is probing a Rs 35 crore money laundering case against them, denied their claims that the case was a result of political vendetta.

Tired of too many ads?go ad free now

The investigating agency alleged they had not cooperated with the investigations and failed to appear before it when summoned.

"It is submitted that the respondent number 1 (ED) herein is an independent central investigating agency whose paramount object is the welfare of the state," the reply said.

The ED also said it would not be an exaggeration to state it has played an instrumental role in protecting the social and economic fabric of the country as money laundering is a heinous crime.

The matter will come up for hearing before Special Judge M G Deshpande on Friday.

Tired of too many ads?go ad free now
The ED further said the brothers are directors and shareholders of SSGSFL, Kohlapur, and they were partners or beneficial owners in Nexten Consultancy LLP, Universal Trading Company, Navratna Associates LLP and Sar Senapati Sugar LLP. "Preliminary investigation has revealed that M/s SSGSFL, Kohlapur, has received huge funds and M/s SSSFL has no explanation for the source of these huge funds. These huge funds are nothing but wrongful gains which have arisen pursuant to the fraud committed," the ED said.

The brothers' pleas, presented by senior counsel Aabad Ponda and advocate Prashant Patil, said the ED's real intention is to target their father. After they could not find any incriminating material against the sugar factory, they raided the Kolhapur District Bank between January 30 and February 2 in a bid to wrangle statements from employees that loans were given at the behest of Hasan Mushrif and the transactions were questionable.

The ED said the allegations were baseless with an intent to mislead the court. "The search proceedings were conducted in a peaceful manner by following due process of law," the ED said.

Tired of too many ads?go ad free now
The ED case is based on a police case filed by the Registrar of Companies in Pune against the factory for connection with companies registered with doubtful credentials. It also moved the Pune special court last year, but the factory approached HC and Mushrif claimed they got a stay order.

About the Author

Rebecca Samervel

Armed with a degree in political science and law, Rebecca Samerve... Read More
Continue Reading
Follow Us On Social Media
end of article
More Trending Stories
Visual Stories
More Visual Stories
UP NEXT
Do Not Sell Or Share My Personal Information