JAIPUR: The woman who had accused former minister Babu Lal Nagar of rape has decided to challenge the lower court order of acquitting the minister in the high court. The woman told TOI that the prosecution deliberately failed to present the merit of the case. Nagar was acquitted of rape charges by the district and sessions court in Jaipur on January 30 by giving him the benefit of the doubt.
The woman had shot a letter to the district judge on January 11 pointing out that CBI’s public prosecutor had not appeared in the final leg of arguments that started from January 2.
“The public prosecutor didn’t come for a single day to argue the case between January 2 and 10 in the court. The case went on single sided without my side being presented during the hearing,” said the woman, who accused the public prosecutor for asking her to not attend hearings as it brings bad impression on the judge.
She further explained that absence of public prosecutor forced her to hire an independent advocate on January 11. “My hired advocate was not allowed to access the case related documents which sealed the fate of the case in favour of the former minister,” said the woman who asked the authorities to look into why her advocate was not given time and case related documents to contest the case on the merit.
She filed a writ petition on January 18 requesting to change the court which was turned down on January 21. She, in her petition, cited that Nagar’s supporters and family had been mocking her in the court.
“I fear that my security will be dropped,” said the woman, who still fears that Nagar’s supporters could harm her. The woman now fears that the security cover given to her by the police since the acquittal came into light would be dropped,” said the woman.