Jaipur: The state education department has directed private schools to obtain formal recognition for the classes they are conducting, amid concerns that several institutions are running secondary and senior secondary classes despite having approval only for primary or upper primary levels.
In an order issued on March 10, Director of Secondary Education Sitaram Jat instructed such schools to apply for recognition or upgradation corresponding to the levels of classes they operate. The order also warned that failure to comply could lead to action, including revocation of the No Objection Certificate (NOC) granted to the institutions.
The order stated, "...those private schools currently affiliated with other boards that obtained recognition from the department solely for primary/upper primary levels, yet are presently conducting classes at the secondary and senior secondary levels, are mandatorily required to apply for and obtain formal recognition/upgradation corresponding to the levels of classes they are operating."
It further noted that the department received information from various sources indicating that some private schools are not operating in accordance with the recognition granted to them. Such institutions have been directed to submit applications for upgradation for the class levels they intend to run.
"Failure to comply with this directive will necessitate the initiation of appropriate action by the department, including the revocation of the No Objection Certificate (NOC) previously granted to such institutions," the order stated.
Private school representatives, however, raised objections, saying the directive implies that all non-government schools will now have to obtain recognition from the department for Classes 9 to 12 or risk losing their NOC.
Damodar Prasad Goyal, president of Society for Unaided Private Schools of Rajasthan, said Section 3 of the Rajasthan Non-Government Educational Institutions Act, 1989 authorises the state to recognise institutions except those affiliated with a university or recognised by a board.
"Till date, the State recognised schools from class 1 to 8, and thereafter the school obtained an NOC. There is no provision for issuance or withdrawal of an NOC in the Act of 1989. The circular is beyond the scope of the Act of 1989 and will lead to corruption in the department on the pretext of collecting recognition fees. Such an order can be challenged in the courts," Goyal said.
TOI's attempts to contact the Director of Secondary Education for a response did not elicit a reply.