GUNTUR: Confirming that irregularities in the flood bank works had led to the breach at Oleru during the massive floods last month, district collector B Ramanjaneyulu on Tuesday said strict action against the persons responsible for the act would be initiated soon.
He however said the government is yet to appoint a high-level committee to probe the breach incident.
At the district review committee here on Tuesday, he said as per initial enquiries, it was found that lack of quality in the flood bank works had led to the breach. In addition, laying of illegal pipelines along the coast and negligence of the irrigation department in protecting the bank have also wreaked havoc, he said.
"No one will be spared including the contractor of the works," incharge district minister P Subhash Chandra Bose, who chaired the meeting, said. Earlier, the meeting witnessed a heated debate between the opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) members and the minister over the failure to provide drinking water to the interior villages.